Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 11-04-2012, 08:09 AM   #61
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
I've found (I think) a problem with the driver. My template for sending a book to my Kobo Mini is {tags}/{author_sort} {publisher:|-|}- {title}, but it's using {tags}/{author_sort} {publisher:|-|}- {title_sort} (I've checked it), so it isn't recognized when I connect again the book (calibre 0.9.5).
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 06:28 PM   #62
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
I've found (I think) a problem with the driver. My template for sending a book to my Kobo Mini is {tags}/{author_sort} {publisher:|-|}- {title}, but it's using {tags}/{author_sort} {publisher:|-|}- {title_sort} (I've checked it), so it isn't recognized when I connect again the book (calibre 0.9.5).
Firstly, by default, calibre uses the "library order" for the title in the save template. There is a tweak to change this.

For matching between the calibre library and the device, the driver stores information in the file metadata.calibre. This is used unless it goes missing. Then the metadata from the book on the device is used. The decoded file name might be used but it should be the last resort.

The problem with the matching is some issues with exactly what is in the metadata.calibre file and when to read and write it. I THINK I found them on the weekend and fixed the driver. My tests are working perfectly and I have given the changes to someone else to test. But, I will try your save template to see if it works here.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 12:22 AM   #63
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Firstly, by default, calibre uses the "library order" for the title in the save template. There is a tweak to change this.
Nice, a standard lie

Quote:
For matching between the calibre library and the device, the driver stores information in the file metadata.calibre. This is used unless it goes missing. Then the metadata from the book on the device is used. The decoded file name might be used but it should be the last resort.
For this book, it's a last resort very first

Quote:
The problem with the matching is some issues with exactly what is in the metadata.calibre file and when to read and write it. I THINK I found them on the weekend and fixed the driver. My tests are working perfectly and I have given the changes to someone else to test. But, I will try your save template to see if it works here.
Thank you very much, it will save me problems (for this book I've used a rough approach => I've changed the title_sort).

Last edited by Terisa de morgan; 11-06-2012 at 04:22 PM.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 04:23 PM   #64
Cap.T
Enthusiast
Cap.T has a spectacular aura aboutCap.T has a spectacular aura aboutCap.T has a spectacular aura aboutCap.T has a spectacular aura aboutCap.T has a spectacular aura aboutCap.T has a spectacular aura aboutCap.T has a spectacular aura aboutCap.T has a spectacular aura aboutCap.T has a spectacular aura aboutCap.T has a spectacular aura aboutCap.T has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Glo, PRS-T1
I'm having a question concerning the speed between Calibre and the Glo. Before the Glo I had the PRS-T1 and sending a 0.2MB Book to that device took about two or three seconds if that. Sending a book the same size to the Glo takes about 30 to 40 seconds. Also it takes about two minutes after connecting the Klo to USB until the green arrows appear that show which books are on the Glo and which are not. That also took just a few seconds with the T1. Considering all the Firmware problems from a few month ago I'm glad sending books with Calibre works at all, just coming from the T1 I wanted to know if this speed is normal for the Kobo or if I need to change a setting somewhere. Thanks!

Last edited by Cap.T; 11-06-2012 at 04:26 PM.
Cap.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 09:21 PM   #65
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap.T View Post
I'm having a question concerning the speed between Calibre and the Glo. Before the Glo I had the PRS-T1 and sending a 0.2MB Book to that device took about two or three seconds if that. Sending a book the same size to the Glo takes about 30 to 40 seconds. Also it takes about two minutes after connecting the Klo to USB until the green arrows appear that show which books are on the Glo and which are not. That also took just a few seconds with the T1. Considering all the Firmware problems from a few month ago I'm glad sending books with Calibre works at all, just coming from the T1 I wanted to know if this speed is normal for the Kobo or if I need to change a setting somewhere. Thanks!
Depending on how many books you have on the device, those times are normal.

I don't know what the driver for the Sony's do when they retrieve the data, but for the Kobo devices, the driver reads a database on the device and a file that calibre uses. Then it works out if the books are actually on the device, matches with what is in the calibre library, checks/updates the shelf status and displays this in the device list.

When a book is sent to the device, it copies the book and then does the above to update the list in calibre. If you look at the job list in calibre, the copy is very quick and the rest of the time is the update.

Having said that, I have been working on a problem and did some performance tweaks as well. This should reduce the sync time a lot, but it will be most noticeable for big libraries on the device. I should have it in this weeks build, but there is a change I'm still deciding on.
Old 11-06-2012, 10:00 PM   #66
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap.T View Post
My 2 cents

Each device driver does different jobs: some are simple file transfers. Others, also reads and modify internal data structures, the writes it back (or some way else ) each thing take time
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 01:29 AM   #67
Cap.T
Enthusiast
Cap.T has a spectacular aura aboutCap.T has a spectacular aura aboutCap.T has a spectacular aura aboutCap.T has a spectacular aura aboutCap.T has a spectacular aura aboutCap.T has a spectacular aura aboutCap.T has a spectacular aura aboutCap.T has a spectacular aura aboutCap.T has a spectacular aura aboutCap.T has a spectacular aura aboutCap.T has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Glo, PRS-T1
Thanks for the answers. I have over 600 Books on the Kobo. That should have something to do with it then as well.

Good to know!
Cap.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 11:50 AM   #68
minorum
minorum began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Kobo-Glo
Hi,

I just want to confirm that I have just the same Problem jackie_w discribes.
I am using calibre 0.9.5

I can only update the covers on the kobo glow when I manualy delete the book on the device and send it with calibre again. When I delete it on the device with calibre and send it there again the old cover is still there.

Calibre is set to automatic meta-data management und both upload boxes are ticked.

Is this a bug, or I am make something wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
Hi David,

I've loaded up calibre 0.9.4. These are my observations about covers/thumbnails using the updated KoboTouch driver with a Kobo Glo fw 2.1.5 (r43939):

New books sent to Kobo Glo:
  • Upload covers CHECKED, Always upload CHECKED
    Both ePub and PDF have calibre thumbnails, no white stripes (i.e aspect ratio not kept)
  • Upload covers UNCHECKED, Always upload CHECKED
    ePub: thumbnails from calibre, with white stripes (i.e aspect ratio kept)
    PDF: thumbnails from PDF page 1
  • Upload covers CHECKED, Always upload UNCHECKED
    ePub: thumbnails from calibre, with white stripes (i.e aspect ratio kept)
    PDF: thumbnails from PDF page 1
Books already on Kobo Glo:
  • Upload covers CHECKED, Always upload CHECKED
    Both ePub and PDF keep existing thumbnails, even if calibre cover changed
  • Upload covers UNCHECKED, Always upload CHECKED
  • Upload covers CHECKED, Always upload UNCHECKED
    In fact the only way I was able to get the Kobo thumbnails to update to the new calibre covers was to resend the books with the device driver configured to have both 'Upload covers' and 'Always upload covers' checked. There was no need to delete the books before resending.
?
greetings
minorum
minorum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 08:59 PM   #69
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by minorum View Post
Hi,

I just want to confirm that I have just the same Problem jackie_w discribes.
I am using calibre 0.9.5

I can only update the covers on the kobo glow when I manualy delete the book on the device and send it with calibre again. When I delete it on the device with calibre and send it there again the old cover is still there.

Calibre is set to automatic meta-data management und both upload boxes are ticked.

Is this a bug, or I am make something wrong?
When you say "the old cover is still there", do you mean the old cover is shown in the library lists on the Glo and as the sleep cover? Or is it showing as the first page when you read the book?
Old 11-09-2012, 04:50 AM   #70
minorum

Quote:
When you say "the old cover is still there", do you mean the old cover is shown in the library lists on the Glo and as the sleep cover? Or is it showing as the first page when you read the book?
It is the cover that is shown in the libariy lists on the Glo and on the Glo startpage.
When I read the book it is clear to me that the cover which is included in the epub will be shown as first page.

minorum
Old 11-10-2012, 09:59 AM   #71
magphil
Connoisseur
magphil , Klaatu Barada Niktu!magphil , Klaatu Barada Niktu!magphil , Klaatu Barada Niktu!magphil , Klaatu Barada Niktu!magphil , Klaatu Barada Niktu!magphil , Klaatu Barada Niktu!magphil , Klaatu Barada Niktu!magphil , Klaatu Barada Niktu!magphil , Klaatu Barada Niktu!magphil , Klaatu Barada Niktu!magphil , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Gen3, Kobo glow
Tried calibre 0.9.6 this morning, with latest Kobo drivers fix.

All my books are reported on device now.

Great work !

Thanks
magphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 05:32 PM   #72
minorum

Hi,
sorry to say that 0.9.6 does not fix the issue with the new covers.
I still have to sent the book again to the glo for the cover to be changend.

minorum
Old 11-10-2012, 07:42 PM   #73
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:

Quote:
Hi,
sorry to say that 0.9.6 does not fix the issue with the new covers.
I still have to sent the book again to the glo for the cover to be changend.
0.9.6 has no changes related to covers. Unfortunately, you are the only person reporting trouble with covers. To do anything, I need a debug log to show me what is happening. To do this:

- Start calibre your Glo attached
- Find a book that you want to replace the cover for.
- Open the driver configuration and in the "Title to test for debugging" put part of the title of the book. Then press OK, but don't restart calibre.
- Right-click on the preferences button and select "Restart in debug mode"
- When calibre has restarted, close the message box and wait for the sync with the Glo to finish.
- When the sync has finished, find the book above and send it to the device.
- Close calibre
- The debug log will be opened in an editor. I need the contents. Post that, or PM it to me.
Old 11-29-2012, 09:05 PM   #74
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Driver update - Series information!

As of firmware 2.2.0, the Touch, Glo and Mini support series information. This is shown in the library lists on a separate line for each book. As an example, the book listing will now have:
Code:
Orson Scott Card
Ender's Game
Ender's Game - 1
For kepubs, the series information will be populated by Kobo from their server. Not all books have it yet, but they are fixing it.

For sideloaded books, the device can't read the series information. Calibre will put the series information in ePubs, but this is not part of the ePub standard, so the device doesn't read it. And other book formats do not have the information at all.

To solve this, Calibre version 0.9.8 has an updated KoboTouch driver that can set the series information. There is a new option in the configuration to enable this. If you want to set series information, open the configuration an check "Set Series information". The next time you connect the device, the driver will update the series information for all the books on the device that are in the calibre library.

Because of the way the Kobo devices handle sideloaded books, setting the series information is a little different. The Kobo devices process sideloaded books the first time they are seen. The information about the books is put into a database on the device. The device reads this database to list the books on the screen. The database contains things like the title, author, description and size. It now has series information.

For the driver to put the series information into the database on the device, the device must already have processed the book and have the details in the database. Once this is done, the driver can update the series information. What this means, is that the driver cannot set the series information when the book is first sent to the device. It can only be set the next time the device is connected.

Warning: Setting the series information will add time to the sync with calibre. The first time it is done, it could take a long time. After that, it should not affect the sync time unless a lot of books are added or have their series changed. I have done what I can to make it run as fast as possible. For two or three hundred books, it should be fast. But, for larger libraries on the device, it will probably take a few minutes.
Old 11-30-2012, 02:12 AM   #75
beedaddy
Zealot
beedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoon

Device: PocketBook InkPad 4
This is good news! Thanks a lot for your hard work.
beedaddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kobo