Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 10-25-2012, 08:27 PM   #196
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
"Should each month's category in 2013 be unique?" Poll up

The voting poll on the question "Should each month's category in 2013 be unique?" is up and will be open for 5 days.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=194940

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
...Will the poll be hidden or open?...
Hidden until poll closes.

Quote:
...Also, what constitutes a repeat category? It would be good to have that clarified beforehand.

We discussed categories such as two non-fiction where one is biography and one is something else, and also how Mystery/Crime and Thriller/Suspense are essentially the same...will "repeats" include either of those?
That's a separate discussion. We never have been able to define what we mean by "Classic" to everyone's satisfaction either, but I don't want to let that gum up the process of deciding what categories we read in 2012.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 01:14 PM   #197
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Tom, what's happened to your Halloween avatar, and is that you???
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 02:10 PM   #198
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That's me, and that's my hair flowing over my shoulders. I decided to put some real Halloween fright into folks here!
Old 10-26-2012, 02:28 PM   #199
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
That's me, and that's my hair flowing over my shoulders. I decided to put some real Halloween fright into folks here!
I thought it might be a computer simulation of what Kenny Rogers might look like today if he had not done that to his face.

Actually that would be Halloween fright, Kenny Rogers today that is.
Old 10-26-2012, 02:44 PM   #200
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Much too friendly looking to be scary. Sorry, but it's a fail .
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 02:51 PM   #201
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Yeah, not scary. The only thought that crossed my mind was that you must spend a fortune on hair conditioner.

(I'm just jealous, being as follically challenged as I am!)
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 03:20 PM   #202
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Kudos for the cojones to post your real pic! It's nice to know what you look like; now there's a face to go with the posts. And you're handsome! And have a warm, friendly expression.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 03:39 PM   #203
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
Yeah, not scary. The only thought that crossed my mind was that you must spend a fortune on hair conditioner.

(I'm just jealous, being as follically challenged as I am!)
I do use a lot of conditioner!

Quote:
Kudos for the cojones to post your real pic!...
I've posted a picture here before, but this is the first time I've used one as an avatar. My grandson took the picture this morning.

Quote:
It's nice to know what you look like; now there's a face to go with the posts. And you're handsome! And have a warm, friendly expression.
Aw, shucks! Name:  blush-icon.png
Views: 542
Size:  12.6 KB
Old 10-26-2012, 11:41 PM   #204
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet53 View Post
In that both are driven by impossible occurrences and/or imaginary beings and things yes. Those two items pretty much distinguish both Sci-Fi and Fantasy from other fiction. So what would you call Star Wars novels?
I would call Star Wars science fiction. It does not overlap with fantasy. The boundaries there are very clear.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 11:51 PM   #205
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I would call Star Wars science fiction. It does not overlap with fantasy. The boundaries there are very clear.
Only if you include the apocryphal prequels that tried to explain how the force works "scientifically". If you don't include those, the force was treated like magic ("hokey religions"), thus fantasy.

Aren't you supposed to be on a cruise? Did Sandy mess up your plans? I hope not, that would stink.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 01:00 AM   #206
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
Only if you include the apocryphal prequels that tried to explain how the force works "scientifically". If you don't include those, the force was treated like magic ("hokey religions"), thus fantasy.

Aren't you supposed to be on a cruise? Did Sandy mess up your plans? I hope not, that would stink.
Even with the Force, it's still science fiction.

As for the cruise, still in the hotel. Will be going on the ship later this morning. Sandy is a non-issue.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 11:57 AM   #207
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
I don't find my self saying this much, but I agree 100% with Jon about Star Wars.

Sci-Fi and Fantasy are different. Yes, there is some slight cross over.

At this time, if there was a vote, I would say no repeat genre months.

I do think Crime/Mystery and Thriller/Suspense are separate. But there is much more cross over here than there is with SF/Fantasy.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 12:23 PM   #208
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Quote:

As for the cruise, still in the hotel. Will be going on the ship later this morning. Sandy is a non-issue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I don't find my self saying this much, but I agree 100% with Jon about Star Wars.

Sci-Fi and Fantasy are different. Yes, there is some slight cross over.

At this time, if there was a vote, I would say no repeat genre months.

I do think Crime/Mystery and Thriller/Suspense are separate. But there is much more cross over here than there is with SF/Fantasy.

BOb

Interesting. So “The Force” is science fiction, but Harry Potter levitating a broom to fly around on is fantasy? Or are the Harry Potter books also science fiction? I wouldn't sweat it though. Even if I could convince WT Sharpe to put this to a vote SciFi/Fantasy is so popular here I don't see the number of months devoted to it actually being reduced.

Last edited by Hamlet53; 10-28-2012 at 12:50 PM.
Old 10-28-2012, 02:31 PM   #209
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Interesting. So “The Force” is science fiction, but Harry Potter levitating a broom to fly around on is fantasy? Or are the Harry Potter books also science fiction? I wouldn't sweat it though. Even if I could convince WT Sharpe to put this to a vote SciFi/Fantasy is so popular here I don't see the number of months devoted to it actually being reduced.
You win... Harry Potter is Science Fiction and Star Wars is Fantasy.

I did say there was some cross over with SF/Fantasy.

“Science Fiction has rivets, fantasy has trees.” ― Orson Scott Card

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 07:40 PM   #210
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Interesting. So “The Force” is science fiction, but Harry Potter levitating a broom to fly around on is fantasy?
Yes.

"The Force" is a theoretically scientific concept; the idea of "auras" around living beings and an energy-force that binds the universe together is not unknown to science. In the genre, it's shorthand for some kind of awareness of particle physics not normally detectable by humans... if we could perceive magnetic fields, or gravitational ones, well enough to dodge objects with our eyes closed, that could be "the Force."

The "millions of souls crying out?" That, too, has a foundation in science. A thin one, admittedly, but still real--there have been experiments with subatomic particles reacting instantly across vast physical distances, faster than the speed of light would allow. A person in tune with such energy fields would be able to detect things happening a very long ways away. An ability to tell the difference between "disruption in nonorganic matter" and "disruption in living beings" is not much of a stretch at all.

Harry Potter, OTOH, does not attempt to imply psychic ability or particle physics or physical-mental training to explain its "magic." It defies the concepts of science, we are told, and "just works."

The Star Wars paradigm fits within a scientific understanding of the world; the HP paradigm does not. Some characters in the SW-verse disdain the abilities of the Jedi as "mystic mumbo-jumbo," but that doesn't mean they're "magic" as opposed to "science on a level not understood by most people, and the Jedi encourage that reputation."

As far as "but it doesn't really work that way!"... neither does warp space or FTL travel. The implausibility of a notion or bit of technology has nothing to do with whether it's SF or fantasy; what matters is the framework in which it's offered. Captain America's "adamantium" shield can't work either, nor can a serum turn a scrawny weakling into a super-soldier; that doesn't make it a fantasy story instead of an SF story.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote