Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-19-2011, 06:11 PM   #16
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feisty View Post
I tried deleting the driver and metadata file which didn't seem to cause any problems but when I plugged my Kobo in again Calibre put them back on automatically. It does this every time I load a book from Calibre after I've deleted them.
Right, it does replace them. That's what you want. It's as if mine were corrupted. After doing so everything worked again. Before replacing the files the books weren't recognized by the device, but they showed via USB.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 06:18 PM   #17
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
I tried deleting the driver and metadata file which didn't seem to cause any problems but when I plugged my Kobo in again Calibre put them back on automatically. It does this every time I load a book from Calibre after I've deleted them.
What about copying your library somewhere else. then uninstalling calibre, make sure to physically delete the install directory after wards. Then reboot. reinstall calibre, copy your library back and see what happens?

Might help

jack
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 06:31 PM   #18
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Why bother with the copying of the library. Just leave it alone, but do the deinstall / reboot / reinstall.

On reinstall just point Calibre to the existing library.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 06:52 PM   #19
Nigol
Groupie
Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Touch
Do you have the same problem with just dragging and dropping books without calibre whatsoever? IF you still do then it is not a calibre problem, might be a book that is corrupted or something.

For your info, even if the files are physically there on the device but are not accessible from the reader, it is because they were not added to the reader database, That is what processing content is supposed to do. So if 1 file has something funny maybe it's hanging on it.
Nigol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 09:01 PM   #20
Feisty
Book Nerd Extraordinaire
Feisty knows the square root of minus one.Feisty knows the square root of minus one.Feisty knows the square root of minus one.Feisty knows the square root of minus one.Feisty knows the square root of minus one.Feisty knows the square root of minus one.Feisty knows the square root of minus one.Feisty knows the square root of minus one.Feisty knows the square root of minus one.Feisty knows the square root of minus one.Feisty knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Kobo Original and Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
Right, it does replace them. That's what you want. It's as if mine were corrupted. After doing so everything worked again. Before replacing the files the books weren't recognized by the device, but they showed via USB.
I found it still wasn't working after I deleted them once. When they reinstalled the next time I had the same issues. So I've been deleting them each time I load books right before I eject the ereader and I've been having good luck so far, all my books are processing as normal and visible. I haven't noticed any downside to deleting the Calibre files either (no issues with formatting or metadata) so hopefully it keeps working.

Thanks so much for the suggestion!
Feisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 09:06 PM   #21
Feisty
Book Nerd Extraordinaire
Feisty knows the square root of minus one.Feisty knows the square root of minus one.Feisty knows the square root of minus one.Feisty knows the square root of minus one.Feisty knows the square root of minus one.Feisty knows the square root of minus one.Feisty knows the square root of minus one.Feisty knows the square root of minus one.Feisty knows the square root of minus one.Feisty knows the square root of minus one.Feisty knows the square root of minus one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigol View Post
Do you have the same problem with just dragging and dropping books without calibre whatsoever? IF you still do then it is not a calibre problem, might be a book that is corrupted or something.

For your info, even if the files are physically there on the device but are not accessible from the reader, it is because they were not added to the reader database, That is what processing content is supposed to do. So if 1 file has something funny maybe it's hanging on it.
I did have the same problems dragging and dropping a few times but it was always after I'd restarted my ereader after a "stuck" period (turned it back on but not pinhole or factory reset) that I had the issues with dragging and dropping making me think the ereader was still confused or something.

When I dragged and dropped right after a factory reset it worked alright. It was just a hassle because that way meant I had to save my Calibre-adjusted epubs back to my disk and then drag and drop. Dragging and dropping right from the Calibre window ran into the same issues as loading them normally through Calibre.

I thought maybe a corrupted file was to blame but I wasn't able to locate one particular file that seemed to never work, and all the files I was trying to load had previously been loaded on an Original Kobo with no issues.
Old 07-19-2011, 09:13 PM   #22
Feisty
Book Nerd Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackastor View Post
What about copying your library somewhere else. then uninstalling calibre, make sure to physically delete the install directory after wards. Then reboot. reinstall calibre, copy your library back and see what happens?

Might help

jack
I think I have it working by deleting the Calibre driver/metadata files that are put on the ereader but if that stops working I'll definitely try your delete and reinstall process. Thank you for taking the time to reply, I really appreciate the help from everyone here!
Old 07-20-2011, 10:05 AM   #23
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
I think I have it working by deleting the Calibre driver/metadata files that are put on the ereader but if that stops working I'll definitely try your delete and reinstall process. Thank you for taking the time to reply, I really appreciate the help from everyone here!
Thats the one thing you can always count on here. The community will take the time to help you out. Now if we could get the rest of the world on board...

regards

jack
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 02:16 AM   #24
Janet56
Enthusiast
Janet56 will become famous soon enoughJanet56 will become famous soon enoughJanet56 will become famous soon enoughJanet56 will become famous soon enoughJanet56 will become famous soon enoughJanet56 will become famous soon enough

Device: Kobo Glo HD, Libra, Forma (8 and 32 gb), Sage, Kindle Oasis
Thank you for posting this problem, I have exactly the same issues with trying to put epub books on my KT with Calibre. Have had no problems up to now, but I did update Calibre, about a week ago, and this is the first time I tried putting books on. I got them from Project Gutenburg and Manybooks, so I assume they should be okay. But even trying to upload just one at a time does not work, the processing goes and goes, slows down and freezes and I need to do stick the pin in the back to get it back on track. I will try some of the suggestions here and see if things start working right again.
Janet56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 06:57 AM   #25
fbrII
F. BluDevil
fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad3 pro, Kobo Libra, Kindle Paperwhite
Hi Feisty,

Answering your earlier question, I send books to my Kobo using the icon in calibre (send to device). Reading over your subsequent posts it looks like you have had luck entering one book at a time. I have frequently entered multiple books without problems.

I did have a different problem where I would get a memory storage problem and then have to do a factory reset. I am pretty sure that was related to disconnecting the Kobo from the computer and it might have something to do with your problem. In my case, calibre would say the job was done, I would eject my device but then I would get a message that "data transfer was still in progress". I would attempt to cancel the action, only to find the device had ejected.

I resolved this by waiting a minute a few more seconds after each download and then waiting a minute or two more when I was finished before disconnecting. I have not had a problem since. I believe the Kobo is know to be prone to problems if disconnected prematurely, so you may want to give it a little extra time when downloading. And, never disconnect by pulling the usb cable without ejecting the device first.

Despite the earlier problem, now that I have it resolved, I have been very happy with my Kobo. So hang in there, you will get it resolved.

Last edited by fbrII; 07-22-2011 at 07:03 AM.
fbrII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 04:33 PM   #26
Martinus's baby
Martinus's baby began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo aura HD, Lenotab 7 inch tablet
I'm having serious problems with my my Kobo ereader touch. I was moving my ebook collection from my desktop to my kobo ereader touch. I had finished installing it. I ejected my reader using the kobo desktop software. and i turned off my desktop pc. Some time after that I noticed that my kobo ereader touch was frozen on 27 % while processing my kobo ereader touch. I waited a bit, but it remained on 27 % I tried reconnecting to my desktop pc and noting happened. So i tried a soft reset (using the on/off button) but nothing happened. After a couple of attempts i tried a factory reset (using the button on the back of the kobo ereader touch). The screen of the reader went blank, black and it just froze. After awhile i got the message telling my I had to set the language for my reader. When i tried pressing 'okay', nothing happened and it just froze. I tried a factory reset again. but this time i connected the reader to my
desktop pc. A connection was made, despite the fact that the screen giving
me the option of connecting or canceling the sync froze up again.Again i tried a hard reset, and this time after quite some time i got to see the home page on my reader. But when i tried to go to my library (to check if all my ebooks were still there) the screen froze again. I tried a soft and then a hard reset and got stuck again in the set your language-page. I waited for quite some time again, and i got the welcome to your kobo reader page on the reader. and again it froze up. After another reset I got the dreaded 'Powering On' message. It has been like that four days now. What should I do now? The Kobo help Desk has been no help so far.
Martinus's baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 08:55 PM   #27
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
If you just used a paperclip in the hole on the back you didn't actually do a factory reset -- you did a soft reset. To do a factory reset hold your power switch on for 10-15 seconds (makes sure the device is shut right off) then press and hold the home button while you turn the device back on. You should get a screen that tells you it is resetting or something like that.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 10:39 PM   #28
GvilleBridge
Connoisseur
GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Tablet
I had to reset my Kobo WiFi a couple times, likewise my Kobo Touch, until I got wise and stopped making metadata and other changes in Calibre to ebooks that were already on the reader. If you must make changes to title, cover, etc., delete the ebook on the ereader using its controls, then interface it to Calibre to sideload the changed ePub.

Kobo also gets somewhat confused if it has to deal with too many managers like the Kobo desktop app, Adobe Digital Editions, etc. I have learned not to have the Kobo plugged in when dealing with ADE in particular, only when dealing with Calibre and when necessary with the Kobo app. I got sensitive about ADE when, in 2011, either it crashed or my then Kobo WiFi crashed despite ADE regarding it as an authorized device.

I will decide what's "authorized" and what should retain its DRM. Your ereader is yours and your ebooks are yours. Ereading become simplified when you're in charge.
GvilleBridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 02:58 PM   #29
shannont
Connoisseur
shannont has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.shannont has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.shannont has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Touch, retired Sony PR300
This happens to me when I try to side load too many books at one time. I found I load about 5-10 books from Calibre eject, let the books load then repeat.

About a month after I got my Kobo, it didn't matter if I just sideloaded one book, it wouldn't process past 87%. I had to reset to factor settings that time and then side load all the books I wanted again. Since, then it has worked fine. Firmware upgrade 1.16 helped, I think we were on 1.15 or shortly after the 1.15 upgrade that I had issues.
shannont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 03:27 PM   #30
Martinus's baby
Martinus's baby began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo aura HD, Lenotab 7 inch tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
If you just used a paperclip in the hole on the back you didn't actually do a factory reset -- you did a soft reset. To do a factory reset hold your power switch on for 10-15 seconds (makes sure the device is shut right off) then press and hold the home button while you turn the device back on. You should get a screen that tells you it is resetting or something like that.
Thanks, I tried a real factory reset, but I still get the message Powering On. I guess I must still be doing something wrong.
Martinus's baby is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, kobo, problem, touch