Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 12-27-2010, 05:59 PM   #1
alefor
Edge User

PDF Viewer

Has anyone found a good .pdf viewer app that can handle fairly large files and access bookmarks on the tablet side? The PDF to Go that is included with the eDGe simply doesnt work at all when it comes to bookmarks.

Old 12-27-2010, 07:05 PM   #2
cheyennedonna
Edge User

If you have market access on a phone the best one is repligo reader. http://www.cerience.com/products/reader/android
But as far as I know there is no free version and only available through the market, although you might find a version on a file share site.

Old 12-27-2010, 11:18 PM   #3
alefor
Edge User

Thanks Cheyennedonna.... I actually found that on the web, but it doesnt seem to do well with some of my book .pdf files. Maybe because they are too big? I am not sure. Have to play with it more. The tip is much appreciated.

Old 12-27-2010, 11:56 PM   #4
cheyennedonna
Edge User

Maybe you could split them into smaller sections. PDF Split and Merge - free and portable http://www.pdfsam.org/

Old 12-28-2010, 02:13 AM   #5
alefor
Edge User

Thanks... I'll give that a try over the holiday. One question... Is there a way with Repligo to access library PDFs on the eDGe? Sorry to ask such a simple question but I have only used stuff in the library so far and my initial playing with repligo looks like it only sees files in the "internal" sd card folders. Thanks

Old 12-28-2010, 11:55 AM   #6
cheyennedonna
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by alefor View Post
Thanks... I'll give that a try over the holiday. One question... Is there a way with Repligo to access library PDFs on the eDGe? Sorry to ask such a simple question but I have only used stuff in the library so far and my initial playing with repligo looks like it only sees files in the "internal" sd card folders. Thanks
I have not found any way to access library contents with a program. While Repligo only "sees" the internal sd contents it can open external sd contents if you access those folders with the ES file manager. Browse to the file you want to open and tap, a pop up will ask you what program to use for the action. I keep all my books and PDF files on the external, even if they are in the library too, just in case of failure somewhere.

Old 12-28-2010, 12:22 PM   #7
borisb
Edge User

Library files are stored in /sdcard/.edge/.esi-content, which is a hidden directory. You can see hidden directories in ES File Explorer if you enable the option in Settings, which might allow you to open Library PDFs directly as per Cheyenne's comment. Most apps can't "see" hidden folders, though, which is why you have to use Cheyenne's method.

Old 12-28-2010, 05:51 PM   #8
cheyennedonna
Edge User

Yes - you can access the library files through ES if you show hidden files, the same pop up menu appears.

Old 12-29-2010, 01:07 AM   #9
alefor
Edge User

Thank you both (Borisb and Cheyennedonna) for the very helpful information. I am easily able to access library .pdfs with Repligo. Works like a charm. But, although I can "see" the ext sd card files with ES File Explorer, Repligo says that the .pdfs are damaged and cant be opened. Same thing if I try a .pdf from a USB memory stick. Another .pdf reader gave the same results. Accessing the library files through ES File Explorer and opening with Repligo works great, except as noted below.

Another interesting observation, that may help some people. I have lots of scanned .pdfs and for the "big ones", I use a feature in Adobe Acrobat 9 Professional that allows you to reduce the file size, presumably by stripping away alot off "unnecessary" stuff, by specifying a minimum version number for compatibility. By setting the version number high, such as to Acrobat 9, I can often reduce an 18MB file down to 3MB. However, once the reduction process is done, Repligo is completely unable to read the file (every page is empty with a big Red "X"), although the Library reader has no problems.

Old 12-29-2010, 01:43 AM   #10
aidren
Edge User

Quote:
Another interesting observation, that may help some people. I have lots of scanned .pdfs and for the "big ones", I use a feature in Adobe Acrobat 9 Professional that allows you to reduce the file size, presumably by stripping away alot off "unnecessary" stuff, by specifying a minimum version number for compatibility. By setting the version number high, such as to Acrobat 9, I can often reduce an 18MB file down to 3MB. However, once the reduction process is done, Repligo is completely unable to read the file (every page is empty with a big Red "X"), although the Library reader has no problems.
That's interesting. I wonder if it has something to do with Adobe's proprietary pdf formats. As I understand it, when they (Adobe) released the pdf format for non-proprietary use, they also created some pdf formats that remain proprietary to them (pdf/a, pdf/x, and there's another). The pdf/a is, I believe, a proprietary format used for their reader applications. That may explain why your altered files work on the Edge reader but not in the other program. It would be somewhat similar to why no one can create/edit TOC's, except with Adobe Acrobat software.

Old 12-29-2010, 08:09 AM   #11
alefor
Edge User

Thanks for the reply. I was unaware of the proprietary formats, and that sounds like a likely explanation. Perhaps when we get Froyo, we can use the Adobe reader software (requires Android 2.1), which hopefully can read the same .pdfs that I can read using Adobe Reader under MacOS/X or Windows. Time will tell.

Old 12-29-2010, 09:18 AM   #12
Gunnerp245
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by alefor View Post
...Repligo says that the .pdfs are damaged and cant be opened. Same thing if I try a .pdf from a USB memory stick...
I believe this has to do with the version of Adobe that created the original PDF. I forget now, but had the same issue with a file I created with Adobe Pro 8. Had to resave the file in a different version for compatibility and it then read fine on the eDGe.

Old 12-29-2010, 02:11 PM   #13
aidren
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnerp245 View Post
I believe this has to do with the version of Adobe that created the original PDF. I forget now, but had the same issue with a file I created with Adobe Pro 8. Had to resave the file in a different version for compatibility and it then read fine on the eDGe.
I did some experiments with this some time ago and found the most consistent pdf version to be read on the ereader was pdf version 1.4 (which is Acrobat 5), although I had one that was pdf 1.6 (Acrobat 7) which worked. It had been created in ghostscript. (It's possible that things have changed with the adobe reader in updates since I experimented.) You can check the version in Acrobat Pro under File>Properties. To change the version (Acrobat Pro 8), from the menu -- Advanced > PDF Optimizer, and set the compatibility drop down to a version older than you have. I know you are talking about a software for the lcd, so it may take some experimenting, but you should be able to find one that works for both. My suggestion is to go older, rather than newer, as gunner suggested. You might also try, with a file open, under Comments > Enable for comments in adobe reader. I haven't played around with this one much so am not sure what it is doing. I think it might create a pdf/a file???

Old 12-29-2010, 08:38 PM   #14
alefor
Edge User

Great Suggestions!!! Appreciate the responses from Gunnerp245 and aidren very much. I took a file that Repligo could not read on the tablet side, set it to Acrobat Ver 4 (PDF 1.3) using the method above (PDF Optimizer) and it worked fine reading from the internal sd card. I tried first setting it to Acrobat 5 did not work at all. Furthermore, this file could also be read by Repligo from the USB memory or the external SD card. This is super and a big help. Repligo works very well with bookmarks, etc. I really appreciate all of your help.

Old 12-30-2010, 02:07 AM   #15
aidren
Edge User

Quote:
I tried first setting it to Acrobat 5 did not work at all.
First, awesome that it worked! Second, it's bewildering, to me, that you had to go lower than Acrobat 5! That just seems astounding! But, then, it's the digital world... who knows what? It is a playing field where people have to experiment... so glad you found a solution!

I wrote my response hastily and neglected to add the importance of keeping a copy of the original file intact... assuming you did so... I hope