Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 05-10-2010, 08:39 PM   #1
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Calibre epub images on a PocketBook 360

I wonder if someone can help me?

I have been happily creating Calibre epubs for my PRS-505 for the last year. Now I also have a PocketBook 360.

When I view my Calibre-created epub in ADE on the PB360 5" screen I am finding some images are now too wide for the screen. They overlap both sides. In fact, viewing the same epub on the Sony and the PB360 side-by-side, I can see that the image is actually larger on the 5" PB360 than the 6" Sony.

I wonder if I need to change the Output Profile in [Convert]-[Page Setup], and if so, to what? I still have it set to "Sony Reader". I think the resolution of both screens is 600x800 so I'm not sure why I'm having problems.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 09:11 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Probably the DPI of the PB 360 is different. Try the SONY PRS 300 profile.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-10-2010, 09:49 PM   #3
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for quick reply.

I tried the Sony PRS300 profile. The problem remains, some images still run off the screen.
Old 05-10-2010, 09:58 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

in that case you'll have to figure out what the exact available area of the screen is and I can make a profile for it
Old 05-10-2010, 10:30 PM   #5
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

When I set all 4 margins to zero in FBReader on the PB360, the text fills an area which I would say is about 7.4 x 9.4cm.

The max I can get in ADE is 7.3 x 9.3cm but that might be because of my Calibre conversion margins.

The images when viewed in FBReader look OK. The image is smaller than in ADE and the clarity looks better. If some screenshots would be helpful, let me know what you would like to see.

From the (very poor) User Manual :-
Display: 5” E Ink® Vizplex 600x800, 166 dpi, B&W

However, someone on the PocketBook forum said it was 200dpi. I don't know which is correct.

Last edited by jackie_w; 05-10-2010 at 10:56 PM. Reason: added tech spec
Advert
Old 05-10-2010, 10:50 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

basically, what I need is for you to manually resize the image prior to conversion. Find the largest possible size that leads to no cutoff
Old 05-10-2010, 11:06 PM   #7
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

Oh, I see. I'll need to do that tomorrowthen. It's very late here.
Old 05-11-2010, 04:23 PM   #8
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

OK. I've done some tests and included some screenshots.

With a Calibre-produced epub on a PocketBook 360 using the SonyReader output profile:-
  • The absolute maximum size I can get to display, without running off the edges, in AdobeViewer (ADE) is 363x469 pixels. If you want "rounder" numbers and a bit of leeway, then I guess 360x465 would be OK.

• However, if viewing the same epub in FBReader, the standard SonyReader maximum image size of 590x775 displays with no problems and the 363x469 looks rather puny.
Neither of the 2 images is rescaled by the Calibre epub conversion.

The first two images compare ADE vs FBReader for a JPG image 363x469.

The last two images compare ADE vs FBReader for a JPG image 590x775.

P.S. Do you think this sounds like a bug in ADE and that I should raise it in the PocketBook forum?
Attached Images
File Type: bmp pix363x469_ADE.bmp (234.5 KB, 349 views)
File Type: bmp pix363x469_FBR.bmp (234.5 KB, 319 views)
File Type: bmp pix590x775_ADE.bmp (234.5 KB, 349 views)
File Type: bmp pix590x775_FBR.bmp (234.5 KB, 298 views)
Old 05-11-2010, 04:56 PM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Definitely looks like a bug in the ADE implementation. It's image display size appears to be roughly half that available to fbreader, which can't be right.
Old 05-11-2010, 05:11 PM   #10
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

I think the whole PocketBook firmware is currently getting upgraded as we speak, but I haven't heard this issue being mentioned as one of the to-be-fixed items.

I'll ask a few questions in the other forum. Thank you for your time
Old 05-12-2010, 07:16 AM   #11
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

Hi Kovid,

From the response I had in the PocketBook forum, I think it will be some time before the problem is addressed because the new Firmware release is now in beta-test. It is possible that this image problem will have been fixed, however I am not hopeful as I have not seen the problem raised or discussed before in that forum.

If you did provide a PocketBook output-profile in Calibre then the only people who ought to use it are those who are both
-- creating an EPUB and
-- intend to use ADE rather than FBReader to read it.
Any other PocketBook user should be OK with a Sony profile.

FWIW my own opinion (probably minority) is that ADE is the better (only) choice if the EPUB has lots of CSS styling which you want to preserve. For instance, the excellent Calibre Catalogs are not really useable in FBReader.

What is the best way to proceed?
Old 05-12-2010, 01:46 PM   #12
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

I'd suggest simply runnig calibre from source (it's very easy instructions in the user manual) and adjusting the profile temporarily. I'll tell you exactly what needs to be changed.

I don't want to add a profile that works around this buggy behavior, as then, in the future if/when it is fixed I'll get bug reports about images being too small and there will be a mix of people with fixed firmware and people without
Old 05-12-2010, 04:31 PM   #13
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

OK, I'm prepared to have a go, but can you give me a few clues to get me started - like which bit of the manual:
-- Customizing calibre?
-- Setting up a calibre development environment?

I have no Linux or Python experience or facilities that I know of.
I'm a Windows XP user.
Old 05-12-2010, 04:50 PM   #14
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
OK, I'm prepared to have a go, but can you give me a few clues to get me started - like which bit of the manual:
-- Customizing calibre?
-- Setting up a calibre development environment?

I have no Linux or Python experience or facilities that I know of.
I'm a Windows XP user.
You want the part labeled "Setting up a calibre development environment." I'll be happy to help you set it up. It's not hard. Basically, you'll have to install Bazaar, ask it to get the source code, add an environment variable to Windows, then Kovid will have you make some changes with notepad to a file. We can get you to the last step. Read the section on the development environment, then ask here if you have any questions.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 05:01 PM   #15
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

Thank you Starson, I hope you realise what you've just volunteered for

First dumb question: Please confirm which version of many versions of Bazaar do I need, there are a lot. I've guessed "Standalone - v2.1.1 stable release".