Notices

Old 10-09-2009, 02:37 AM   #16
Xerxes
Addict
Xerxes has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Astak EZReader, Pocket Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by sforce View Post
The Barnes and Noble guy said Plastic Logic a few times. I have never heard about PL working on anything other than e-Ink. Sounds like they may have had a breakthrough...
He doesn't know any details.
He just through out some stuff he heard on the grape vine.
Xerxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 02:57 AM   #17
sforce
Connoisseur
sforce doesn't littersforce doesn't litter

Device: Plastic Logic (?)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xerxes View Post
He doesn't know any details.
You mean other than the manufacturer, the screen size, that it was color, approximately when it was due out, and that it was going to have a number of interesting new features?

Yeah, a little lean on details...
sforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-09-2009, 03:43 AM   #18
fuzzy_dunlop
Enthusiast
fuzzy_dunlop began at the beginning.

Device: none
The FCC filing for the B&N device mentions a company named Amtek (http://tinyurl.com/ygapga2), most likely manufacturing the device so I think what that rep is talking about is a separate Plastic Logic product to be released next year.

I was thinking what B&N could do as a marketing strategy to leapfrog the Kindle and it seems that color e-ink is the best option. Personally I could care less about color and would rather have an ebook reader that supports multiple formats and native PDF but for mass appeal, yep color is the way to go.

Average Consumer: Color > Black & White
fuzzy_dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 03:50 AM   #19
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
To be fair, colour on a device would be a big help to increase the range of content since then you could also read magazines, comics etc. without having to compromise too much on how they are displayed.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 04:01 AM   #20
fuzzy_dunlop
Enthusiast
fuzzy_dunlop began at the beginning.

Device: none
You're right, comics and magazines would be more true to form.

However, I'm more interested in the B&N device vs. Kindle International. If B&N ebooks can be downloaded from anywhere in the world (seems their policies are lax, no mention of restrictions on their FAQ page) then the B&N reader could be a good alternative provided you didn't mind transferring books via wireless or a usb cable to your device.

Then again B&N is an amazingly non-international company, apparently they have no international locations. "Barnes & Noble, Inc. has no outlets outside the U.S. and has no plans to expand internationally. We serve international customers through our website, Barnes & Noble.com."
fuzzy_dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-09-2009, 04:16 AM   #21
Xerxes
Addict
Xerxes has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Astak EZReader, Pocket Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by sforce View Post
You mean other than the manufacturer, the screen size, that it was color, approximately when it was due out, and that it was going to have a number of interesting new features?

Yeah, a little lean on details...
I meant he got stuff jumbled up. That's what he sound like. I'm surprised he didn't talk about the Irex device from Plastic Logic it's got color, touch screens and lasers. You know, that other reader is lacking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowl View Post
To be fair, colour on a device would be a big help to increase the range of content since then you could also read magazines, comics etc. without having to compromise too much on how they are displayed.
I don't think color eink is what you want for comics. I mean maybe strips, but not your weeklies or monthlies. Most of those new one print on something glossy or are just to vivid. I'm thinking MIDs or tablets are where you need to go for that action.
Xerxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 04:27 AM   #22
sforce
Connoisseur
sforce doesn't littersforce doesn't litter

Device: Plastic Logic (?)
Quote:
I think color will be very important to advertisers, so as to help subsidize newspaper and magazine subscriptions. Funny, but I believe creative ads actually enhance a magazine....
sforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 06:58 AM   #23
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xerxes View Post
I don't think color eink is what you want for comics. I mean maybe strips, but not your weeklies or monthlies. Most of those new one print on something glossy or are just to vivid. I'm thinking MIDs or tablets are where you need to go for that action.
It's all about giving people more options though, colour e-ink would definitely be a vastly superior option to b&w and other than the more backward publishers, they do generally want to sell us stuff.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 07:02 AM   #24
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
colour e-ink would definitely be a vastly superior option to b&w
That depends. For example, if colour devices use some sort of tri-colour imaging technology, it would probably result in a significantly lower pixel density than grey-scale devices, and that would NOT be a superior option for many purposes.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 07:36 AM   #25
Siorghlas
Siorghlas began at the beginning.

Device: Hanlin V3
Reference to color at Plastic Logic site

In their FAQ here mentions an upcoming color model not long after the greyscale one. I am eager to see it come to fruition, though I am not enthusiastic about the underlying WinCE OS.

In recap after all I've read, it appears that there will be several readers supporting B&N: their own-branded 6", the iRex, and the letter-sized Plastic Logic.

Greets,
Siorghlas
Twit me!
Siorghlas is offline   Reply With Quote