Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 12-23-2008, 05:42 PM   #1
wchris
Book lover
wchris began at the beginning.

Device: Sony
Half price ebooks

WH Smiths (UK) are offering all their ebooks at half price. However, the are charging 15% VAT on the price, saying this applies to all digital media. Is this correct as paper books are zero rated?
wchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 06:12 PM   #2
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
sounds like a case of good news / bad news. but sadly i fear the VAT rate is probably correct ; in france also it's the same way, because apparently some idiot had the bright idea to classify ebooks as "computer software" or something similar, instead of books. so the special book rate does not apply to them. hopefully, this will be fixed soon... in the meantime, half price ebooks is still a good deal !
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-23-2008, 07:09 PM   #3
tech_au
Oz Bookworm
tech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony PRS 505,PRS 650
Thanks for that. Another excuse to buy more ebooks
I just bought 3 titles and didn't get charged any vat on top of total cost.
Maybe only UK people get charged 15% VAT.
tech_au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 07:11 PM   #4
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tech_au View Post
Thanks for that. Another excuse to buy more ebooks
I just bought 3 titles and didn't get charged any vat on top of total cost.
Maybe only UK people get charged 15% VAT.
yes, i believe VAT is only applied to residents of the seller's country. i could be wrong.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 07:24 PM   #5
Vaseline
Vaseline began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 505
I wonder how long this offer is going to last for. Anyone got any idea?
Vaseline is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-28-2008, 12:13 AM   #6
tech_au
Oz Bookworm
tech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura about

The half price deal is still on.
I couldn't help myself and bought 6 more while they are still cheap.
For me in Australia its approx 30% cheaper to buy from the UK than the US with this sale on.
If you have a Sony or Cybook (or willing to format convert .lit) get em while it still on.
I have to repeat to myself. MUST STOP BUYING EBOOKS
Old 12-28-2008, 04:26 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I believe that VAT is already applied to the price shown.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 01:28 PM   #8
wallflower75
Groupie
wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage/iPhone 6 Plus/iPad mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by tech_au View Post
The half price deal is still on.
I couldn't help myself and bought 6 more while they are still cheap.
For me in Australia its approx 30% cheaper to buy from the UK than the US with this sale on.
If you have a Sony or Cybook (or willing to format convert .lit) get em while it still on.
I have to repeat to myself. MUST STOP BUYING EBOOKS
If you figure out how to stop doing that, could you pass your secret on to me? Because the minute I saw that they had books by an author I'll never be able to find here in the US in a million years, I was whipping my poor credit card out and buying more even though I'd gone a little wild at the Fictionwise sales!!
wallflower75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 04:30 PM   #9
tech_au
Oz Bookworm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I believe that VAT is already applied to the price shown.
As I haven't paid VAT I don't really know. In Oz we have GST added into the price.
But in the checkout screen there is a separate line below the total that says VAT 0.00 GBP so I guess I am not paying VAT. As zelda pinwheel has suggested only UK residents would get 15% VAT added to the total.
Old 12-28-2008, 06:30 PM   #10
Gibbo
Guru
Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab A (2019) - iPhone 11 - KA1 - Onyx Boox Nova Pro
I've saved £13.39 ($19.62) purchasing the complete Starfist series by David Sherman & Dan Cragg compared to Fictionwise, thats without the latest book which is released tomorrow 30th Dec
Gibbo is offline   Reply With Quote