Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-14-2013, 04:54 PM   #16
hunnymonster
Zealot
hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3 wifi, K3 3G, K Touch, K Paperwhite
Having JRR Tolkien's Hobbit read to the class when I was 9 or 10 at school. That was many many moons ago but I still remember it like it was yesterday.
hunnymonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 04:59 PM   #17
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
I always had picture books when I was a kid, but the first book I remember reading, which I won for being the first one in the first grade to finish a series of short books we all had to finish was:

I cherished this book and read it over and over again.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-14-2013, 05:20 PM   #18
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
I do not remember either. As far back as I can remember I have always read.
Apache
I don't recall a specific title though it was probably a Dr. Seuss book. I was crazy about them as a young kid.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 09:32 PM   #19
danskmacabre
Guru
danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo. Galaxy Tab S 8.4
Oh I think most likely for me it's Tolkien's "The Hobbit"
A close second is Enid Blyton's "The magic faraway tree"
danskmacabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 09:50 PM   #20
M.T. Miles
Enthusiast
M.T. Miles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M.T. Miles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M.T. Miles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M.T. Miles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M.T. Miles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M.T. Miles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M.T. Miles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M.T. Miles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M.T. Miles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M.T. Miles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M.T. Miles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Like Catlady I was brought up on the little golden books.
M.T. Miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-15-2013, 06:29 AM   #21
Yapyap
Guru
Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
I do not remember either. As far back as I can remember I have always read.
Apache
This.

I know for a fact that I could read by the time I started kindergarten (at age three), because it's something I've kept hearing about my whole life. I know I'd read and re-read Alexandre Dumas' entire Ten Years Later series (released here as three ~900-page volumes, in a translation that's still wonderfully readable and not at all old-fashioned) several times by my sixth birthday, and kindergarten teachers often asked me to read to other kids when they were busy with something else.

I don't have conscious memories of pre-kindergarten days, but I know my grandma taught me the letters when I was around 1.5, and presumably I learned to read properly at some point between two and three.

If I had to pick a book that made a lasting childhood impression and turned me into a lifelong reader, Dumas' musketeer books are probably it. Although I was also very fond of The Hobbit in my pre-school days.
Yapyap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 06:34 AM   #22
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I don't know. I have loved reading books and have read books for as long as I can remember. I do remember being told off for reading a book (behind my desk) in my first year of Junior school when I should have been doing something else. That would have been be age 7 I think. But I can't recall what book it was.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 07:17 AM   #23
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
Henny Penny the Little Red Hen. It was the only book I had and my mother had to read it to me at least once every day. The first book I remember really enjoying was a book about Daniel Boone that I read when I was ten. As I went into Jr. High I was deep into Edgar Rice Burroughs and Osa Johnson.

I can't remember a time I didn't love to read. I was the only kid on the block whose father would scream, "Put that damn book down and go play ball with the other guys."
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 07:53 AM   #24
Thasaidon
Hedge Wizard
Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Simple
The first books I remember making an impression on me were the "Biggles" books by W. E. Johns. They are great adventure books that will not be in the public domain for some time.
Thasaidon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:16 AM   #25
bethany7
Enthusiast
bethany7 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!bethany7 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!bethany7 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!bethany7 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!bethany7 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!bethany7 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!bethany7 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!bethany7 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!bethany7 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!bethany7 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!bethany7 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I don't remember learning to read; I know that it was before I started school.
My mother gave me her Enid Blyton books and her entire Companion Library collection, and it was those that really gave me the love of reading. The CL copy of Little Women/Little Men is now sadly in a very poor state, missing it's spine etc., and I still refuse to give away the Enid Blyton books, despite the fact that I know them backwards, and am probably just a little too old for them now!
I very quickly cleared the entire school library, and got so excited whenever we got to go to the "proper" library!
bethany7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:20 AM   #26
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I know I read Enid Blyton's The Magic Faraway Tree etc.. and I remember reading Go Dog Go which was awesome. I think we were always readers in our family back then.

But I like to think my younger reader's abridged versions of classics like Treasure Island and A Tale of Two Cities etc.. were the real catalysts mainly because I think they were the first books that I picked out and that were specifically bought for me. The rest were "hand-me-downs" from my sisters.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:26 AM   #27
David Munch
Scholar
David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O + iPad Air 4
Margharet Weiz and Tracy Hickmans Dragonlance Chronicles were the books that hooked me. Of course, I started out around the age of 7, and what else can hook a young boy than dragons and magic?

Those books still have a special place in my heart to this day.
David Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:31 AM   #28
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
I remember that once I had learned to read, Lang's Fairy Tales (in all colors) were a treasure.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:32 AM   #29
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
Anyone remember the Edward Eager books? I loved those. And A Whisper of Glocken - can't recall the author, and seems to me there was at least one other book in that series. (ETA: it was Carol Kendal, and the other book was The Gammage Cup - neither of which is available in eformat. ah, well.)

Neither of my kids were into that kind of fantasy when they were of an age to read them. Daughter was into manga and son went directly from Captain Underpants to Terry Pratchett. I has a sad about them missing some of my favorite books.

Last edited by BeccaPrice; 04-15-2013 at 08:35 AM.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:54 AM   #30
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
I series of books that I read that had me going back for more were the Johnny Tremain books. It is the reason that I love reading historical fiction today.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote