Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 06-14-2012, 12:52 PM   #1
bfo
bfo began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox M92
[SOLVED] Unable to upgrade Boox M92

Hello
Recently I have been trying to update firmware on my Boox device from version 1.7.20120402 (stock one) to 1.7.20120607, which I would assume is the most up to date as of now. Having successfully uploaded the .zip archive on my SD card I rebooted M92 with the card inside while pressing the joystick, as said in the instructions. However, instead of starting the upgrade, Boox shows the default boot screen with a line at the bottom that reads: "Update request received. Searching for an upgrade..." for a few seconds and then boots the device as it normally would, with the loading bar at the bottom and all. I know there already is a similar thread here on the forum (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=175658), but my device, unlike the one described there, continues to boot. Should I return my Boox to the vendor right away, as recommended in a discussion under the above link?

EDIT:
It came out to be plain and simple. I have to use firmware that is produced by the reseller of Boox in my country.

Last edited by bfo; 06-14-2012 at 06:17 PM.
bfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 08:30 AM   #2
Booxtor
Booxtor
Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a lot of..
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfo View Post
Hello
Recently I have been trying to update firmware on my Boox device from version 1.7.20120402 (stock one) to 1.7.20120607, which I would assume is the most up to date as of now. Having successfully uploaded the .zip archive on my SD card I rebooted M92 with the card inside while pressing the joystick, as said in the instructions. However, instead of starting the upgrade, Boox shows the default boot screen with a line at the bottom that reads: "Update request received. Searching for an upgrade..." for a few seconds and then boots the device as it normally would, with the loading bar at the bottom and all. I know there already is a similar thread here on the forum (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=175658), but my device, unlike the one described there, continues to boot. Should I return my Boox to the vendor right away, as recommended in a discussion under the above link?

EDIT:
It came out to be plain and simple. I have to use firmware that is produced by the reseller of Boox in my country.
Hi,
I guess you bought your device by Arta Tech (onyx-boox.com) ?
They don't allow to install our free updates to their hardware (because of some licence agreements with IVONA), so you have to wait for their updates.
Booxtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-19-2012, 05:12 PM   #3
The Chef
Enthusiast
The Chef can self-interpret dreams as they happen.The Chef can self-interpret dreams as they happen.The Chef can self-interpret dreams as they happen.The Chef can self-interpret dreams as they happen.The Chef can self-interpret dreams as they happen.The Chef can self-interpret dreams as they happen.The Chef can self-interpret dreams as they happen.The Chef can self-interpret dreams as they happen.The Chef can self-interpret dreams as they happen.The Chef can self-interpret dreams as they happen.The Chef can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Onyx Boox i86 Plus (formerly M92)
Ah, so looks it really matters where you buy your M92 from..

If I want the nice IVONA TTS voices, then I need to get it from onyx-boox.com website: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=180557
But then I can't update it myself with newer firmware (need to wait for reseller, if they even offer?).

Whereas no IVONA TTS from Booxtor (ereader-store.de), but allows you to update yourself. And also mentions here that he has a R&D/Dev team too (so faster updates with latest firmware?): https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=180382

Looks like it pays to read up first

Last edited by The Chef; 06-19-2012 at 05:17 PM.
The Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 03:46 AM   #4
Booxtor
Booxtor
Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a lot of..
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chef View Post
Ah, so looks it really matters where you buy your M92 from..

If I want the nice IVONA TTS voices, then I need to get it from onyx-boox.com website: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=180557
But then I can't update it myself with newer firmware (need to wait for reseller, if they even offer?).

Whereas no IVONA TTS from Booxtor (ereader-store.de), but allows you to update yourself. And also mentions here that he has a R&D/Dev team too (so faster updates with latest firmware?): https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=180382

Looks like it pays to read up first
Yes, you are right. And if you are able to live without TTS at the moment, you can save money since we sell the complete set (ereader + cover) cheaper and our shipping costs are lower too
Booxtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 08:32 AM   #5
noctifer
noctifer began at the beginning.

I was just having the same issue and it seems also due to having bought the reader in Poland. Frankly, I'm appalled. I'll never use the TTS and I only bought the thing in Poland because that's where I was at the time and it was cheaper to get it from a store directly

Is there any way to reformat the reader or do something to get rid of TTS and be able to update from here? Or is selling it and buying a new version from DE the only option?
noctifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-29-2012, 08:40 AM   #6
pepe_alter_ego
Zealot
pepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Onyx Boox M92, Kindle Paperwhite 1 (Wi-Fi)
See the Mixed Firmware for I62/I62e/I62HD/A62/A62s/M92/M92s ArtaTech devices.

Just from curiosity ... which IVONA TTS languages / voices did you get with your device?

Last edited by pepe_alter_ego; 11-29-2012 at 08:44 AM.
pepe_alter_ego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 09:20 AM   #7
noctifer

So is this Mixed Firmware a combination of the original polish stuff with Booxtor version?

Where can I check which IVONA languages I have? (This is probably a dumb question but I didn't even touch any of the TTS application/folder/whatever it is)
Old 11-29-2012, 09:47 AM   #8
seaniko7
wannabe developer
seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Kindle: 2xKeyboard, Classic, 2xTouch, 2xPW, PW2; Onyx: Boox M92
@noctifer, yup Mixed Fw is a combination of ArtaTech specific funcionality and the latest firmware from Booxtor.
This firmware is aimed for readers from onyx-boox.com distribution.
seaniko7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 11:24 AM   #9
pepe_alter_ego
Zealot
pepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animals

Well, the easy way to get the list of available IVONA TTS languages / voices is ... open any book (a pdf file or an ebook), then click "Menu" -> "Tools" -> "Text To Speech".
Some seconds later, your device should start to read the displayed text.
Left-down on the screen, you should see now 4 additional icons -> a "speaking head", "|>|| ", a "loudspeaker", an "X".
Click the "speaking head" icon -> you will get a new window with a menu -> the first item called "Speaker" will show you available languages / voices.
Instead of clicking the "speaking head" icon, you can also press the "MENU" hardware button (the first from top on the left side of the body).

Last edited by pepe_alter_ego; 11-29-2012 at 12:03 PM.
Old 11-29-2012, 07:14 PM   #10
noctifer

@seaniko7: cool, it worked, i hope it will be updated continuously!

@pepe: when i do this, it says "invalid TTS data!". i guess i broke something along the way..
Old 11-30-2012, 08:21 AM   #11
pepe_alter_ego
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by noctifer View Post
@pepe: when i do this, it says "invalid TTS data!". i guess i broke something along the way..
And that was it, when it comes to ArtaTech and the wonderful IVONA TTS.

Now, more seriously ... to the best of my knowledge ... the new ArtaTech firmware requires a NEW version of TTS 4. The only language / voice, that I have found, is the "Polish / Agnieszka". You need to unzip the provided file into the "Internal Storage" (i.e. the "boox" or "/media/flash" subdirectory) -> it will create a ".tts" subdirectory with all required files inside (afterwards, "reboot" / "power cycle" your device).

In another thread, somebody was claiming that ArtaTech devices should have come with "English Amy + one more licence that corresponds with the country of order or from preference of user (German, French, Spanish, Italian or Polish)". My device has not and I have found no place where I could download them (if you find any, please let me know -> I assume, everything one needs is the "proper" contents of the ".tts" subdirectory in the "Internal Storage" -> the IVONA certificate is kept in "/usr/share/tts/ivona_certificate_all.ca" and one does not need to modify it, I believe).

Last edited by pepe_alter_ego; 11-30-2012 at 11:40 AM.
Old 12-05-2012, 03:05 AM   #12
rogerpiano
Connoisseur
rogerpiano began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 650, Onyx Boox M92, Onyx Boox Max2
Hello!I have a "Black Pearl" from Artatech and the voices are: Amy English Female and Giorgio Italian Male. About the Mixed Firmware I wanted to ask:
1) Do You have it installed on a "Black Pearl" from Artatech?
2) The installation procedure is the standard provided for in the manual?
3) If I wanted to keep the two voices do I have to save them on my PC and then copy them nell'M92?
rogerpiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:05 AM   #13
pepe_alter_ego
Zealot

The procedure to upgrade to the "Mixed Firmware" is the same as the "standard" one.

Note, however, the new firmware needs new IVONA TTS 4. I do not know what version of TTS you have now. The only help I can provide is ... connect your device to a PC, zip the ".tts" folder from the "Internal Storage" and provide that file. I can try to unpack it on my device and test whether it works with the new firmware (which I use).

Tags
m92 update 1.7 fail