Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-03-2011, 08:32 PM   #1
carolehughes
carolehughes began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
Kobo Touch keeps requesting a Factory Reset

Ive had the kobo touch for a month now, for the past 10 days its started up with a Ereader Storage Error - Cancel/Factory Reset

I reset it the first few times, the last few times Ive hit cancel and all works well as far as reading my books, this also happens when I recharge , the same message comes up, and again if i cancel it, it charges.

Any cure for this?
carolehughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 08:52 PM   #2
fbrII
F. BluDevil
fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad3 pro, Kobo Libra, Kindle Paperwhite
Several suggestions

1) Make sure you disconnect properly, eject the device from Kobo Desktop, calibre, Adobe Digital Editions etc., before you pull the usb cable and waiting a extra few seconds after ejecting is probably a good thing to do as well.

2) Don't move from one software application to another without ejecting your Kobo first. As in don't download a book or sync using the Desktop software and then go into another software application like calibre etc., without completely disconnecting your Kobo first. You will of course have to reconnect to use the next application.

I have had four forced factory resets and I believe the last was due to problem 2 above. Since the last reset I have reloaded several hundred books without a problem. It's only a week but I'm feeling lucky.
fbrII is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-03-2011, 09:56 PM   #3
anthony_barker
anthony_barker began at the beginning.

Device: PB360, nokia n900
Angry

Same problem...

Did the factory reset - loaded on a couple of ebooks - and now it is frozen....

I have found it freeze a couple of times when the battery runs low - but now frozen again with full battery?.. I guess I will recharge over night and see what happens...

Honestly my experience with pocket book and now kobo touch is lots of crashes...

With pocketbook i could disconnect the battery.. with kobo the only thing that seems to fix it is charge over night....

Yes I disconnect it properly.

Read somewhere else the corruption message could be coming from a corrupt non kobo epub..

Last edited by anthony_barker; 08-03-2011 at 10:03 PM.
anthony_barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 10:08 PM   #4
wes101
Zealot
wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kobo touch
what software does your kobo have
wes101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 10:34 PM   #5
anthony_barker
anthony_barker began at the beginning.

Device: PB360, nokia n900
i had upgraded to 1.9.8 - it reset to 1.9.5 ..
anthony_barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-04-2011, 12:30 AM   #6
carolehughes
carolehughes began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
Wes My software is 1.99(r30773 July 28 1011
I also eject the kobo reader as directed, I also have one of the first kobo readers it works fine, I wish i hadnt bothered with this touch
carolehughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 11:48 AM   #7
danskmacabre
Guru
danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo. Galaxy Tab S 8.4
I have found that Calibre, Kobo desktop donot play well together.
As previously stated, if you use 3rd party apps, it creates a very high risk you'll have to do Factory resets when switching between them if you're not VERY careful about disconnecting etc...
danskmacabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 12:21 PM   #8
Sher0808
Sher0808
Sher0808 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Sher0808 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Sher0808 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo
I am continuously having this problem as well. I have discovered that if I hit the cancel button, it works just fine...it's just annoying everytime I turn on my Kobo.
Sher0808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 12:54 PM   #9
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Same for me here. And I hadn't used calibre, only ADE. And I always disconnect ejecting first.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 06:43 PM   #10
geormes
Groupie
geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Classic, Kobo Touch, Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Aura
I've noticed when this happens(2 times so far) there are empty folders shown on the file browser.
geormes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 04:25 PM   #11
kiwipippa
Fanatic
kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo glo, kobo touch (dead), kindle touch, android phone
This has started happening to me now. And from this thread, there are many others who have the same issue: http://getsatisfaction.com/kobo/topi...ice_in_one_day

I have had my KT for over a month without the error showing up. Now it shows up every time I power on. I am on Firmware version 1.9.9 I've been careful about ejecting properly and although I use multiple apps (ADE, calibre) I am careful not to have them open at the same time. Like others I can press cancel when the message appears and continue reading - but I have no idea what it going on in the background and how long I'll be able to continue to ignore it.

Disappointing that this appears to have been around for over a month, yet kobo have not addressed it via one of the firmware upgrades that have come out in that time.
kiwipippa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 05:28 PM   #12
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
I have no direct knowledge of this issue or what Kobo is doing to address it, but from having hung around their beta process since its inception, I can say that when an issue is difficult (for reasons known to the developers, but definitely not to me) or simply being worked on, but not yet solved or soon to be released, they stay very quiet as they work it through. Other bug fixes and even new features appear in the interim, presumably because different folks are working on these.

Last edited by taming; 08-06-2011 at 06:12 PM. Reason: clarification
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 09:45 PM   #13
themikeyt
themikeyt is a glorious beacon of lightthemikeyt is a glorious beacon of lightthemikeyt is a glorious beacon of lightthemikeyt is a glorious beacon of lightthemikeyt is a glorious beacon of lightthemikeyt is a glorious beacon of lightthemikeyt is a glorious beacon of lightthemikeyt is a glorious beacon of lightthemikeyt is a glorious beacon of lightthemikeyt is a glorious beacon of lightthemikeyt is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kobo Touch
I've had the unit crash (Factory reset) twice on me now, and I've had the device for a week now. Though, I have used calibre to load a EpuB book I bought. If calibre has the potential of crashing the unit, how do we upload books that aren't purchased through Kobo. The book I bought was from the Warhammer library, standard Epub..
themikeyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 09:55 PM   #14
themikeyt
themikeyt is a glorious beacon of lightthemikeyt is a glorious beacon of lightthemikeyt is a glorious beacon of lightthemikeyt is a glorious beacon of lightthemikeyt is a glorious beacon of lightthemikeyt is a glorious beacon of lightthemikeyt is a glorious beacon of lightthemikeyt is a glorious beacon of lightthemikeyt is a glorious beacon of lightthemikeyt is a glorious beacon of lightthemikeyt is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kobo Touch
I may see one issue I was doing. I was not ejecting the device when using Calibre. Never saw the option too. That could have led to the issue I am having.
themikeyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 11:12 PM   #15
the.Mtn.Man
Guru
the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
The Kobo's file system seems to be extraordinarily delicate. It would be nice if they could figure out a way to make it more resilient and less prone to failure.

Last edited by the.Mtn.Man; 08-07-2011 at 01:18 PM.
the.Mtn.Man is offline   Reply With Quote