Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 08-13-2013, 04:00 PM   #17386
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
Doomsday Book did come in, so I will read that next.
Great selection for the August book club and if you haven't had a chance to read it yet I would recommend it. I will certainly be checking out other books by Connie Willis, probably starting with her other Hugo/Nebula winners.

Next up is American Gods by Neil Gaiman. I keep hearing good things about it but I didn't enjoy the one short by him that I read earlier this year. We will see.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 04:19 PM   #17387
BelleZora
Wizard
BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Libra 2
I enjoyed The Doomsday Book more than any book I've read in a while. When I finish A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving (which is looong) I'm reading Connie Willis's To Say Nothing of the Dog. I just read Three Men in a Boat (to Say Nothing of the Dog) by Jerome K. Jerome in preparation. It was published in 1889 and reminded me of both Mark Twain and P.G. Wodehouse.
BelleZora is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-13-2013, 04:56 PM   #17388
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by BelleZora View Post
I enjoyed The Doomsday Book more than any book I've read in a while. When I finish A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving (which is looong) I'm reading Connie Willis's To Say Nothing of the Dog. I just read Three Men in a Boat (to Say Nothing of the Dog) by Jerome K. Jerome in preparation. It was published in 1889 and reminded me of both Mark Twain and P.G. Wodehouse.
You might want to try Fire Watch before To Say Nothing of the Dog since it predates both Doomsday Book and TSNotD and is set in the same world. I haven't read it, but it won both the Hugo and Nebula for 1982/3 like Doomsday Book did in 1992/3. At least that is where I plan on going next with her works, I haven't found anything saying to read them in published order though, so it may not matter at all.

I read an essay by Jerome K. Jerome last year (it was nominated for a book club but lost to The Princess Bride) and enjoyed it a lot. I will have to try Three Men in a Boat before I get to Connie Willis' TSNotD.

Also, just noticed you are in CdA - I used to live in Post Falls (20 years ago) and miss that area. Spent a lot of time in the Bookworm.

Last edited by Dazrin; 08-13-2013 at 05:01 PM.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 07:13 PM   #17389
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
I've got my Kindle Paperwhite and since it can be read in pretty much all lighting condition, it's hard to take my eyes off it whenever I have the chance. I'm still on book 1, chapter 25 of A Song of Ice and Fire, and also trying to go through Kant's Critique of Pure Reason. two heavy beasts. meanwhile, I read some shorts by O. Henry...
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 08:29 PM   #17390
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Galaxy (Aldiko, Kobo app)
Currently reading Philip Caputo's The Longest Road - a description of a road trip he took at age 70 from Key West to North Slope Alaska. Quite enjoyable so far,; I particularly like the section on Wounded Knee and the Black Hills - I believe I will read Travels With Charlie to compare.

It's the first thing I have read by Caputo since A Rumor of War back in the day.
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-14-2013, 10:58 AM   #17391
benham
Guru
benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, PRS-505 (BLUE)
Currently reading The Highway by CJ Box. Can't say I'd recommend it especially.
benham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 11:07 AM   #17392
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
So many things coming my way from the library these days.

Just finishing up Doughnut by Tom Holt. Good fun.
Next up is The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman.
Then Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe
Then Detroit: An American Autopsy by Charlie LeDuff
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 12:22 PM   #17393
BelleZora
Wizard
BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
You might want to try Fire Watch before To Say Nothing of the Dog since it predates both Doomsday Book and TSNotD and is set in the same world. I haven't read it, but it won both the Hugo and Nebula for 1982/3 like Doomsday Book did in 1992/3. At least that is where I plan on going next with her works, I haven't found anything saying to read them in published order though, so it may not matter at all.

I read an essay by Jerome K. Jerome last year (it was nominated for a book club but lost to The Princess Bride) and enjoyed it a lot. I will have to try Three Men in a Boat before I get to Connie Willis' TSNotD.

Also, just noticed you are in CdA - I used to live in Post Falls (20 years ago) and miss that area. Spent a lot of time in the Bookworm.
Added Fire Watch to my lengthy TBR list. I also added Swing, Swing Together: A Sergeant Cribb Investigation by Peter Lovesey to my must-read list. It parallels Three Men in a Boat and is based upon a incident in Jerome's thoroughly delightful book.

The Bookworm is still in business, a survivor of both the big bookstores and now the digital age.
BelleZora is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 03:57 PM   #17394
harleigh
harleigh began at the beginning.

Device: None
Just finished Forever Freaky by Tom Upton. Good YA Paranormal fiction.

Going on to Ill Wind by Rachel Caine
harleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 12:40 AM   #17395
Stephjk
Cruiser
Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo glo, samsung galaxy tab note
Just finished The Casual Vacancy by J K Rowling and I quite enjoyed it. I liked the different characters and the constant change from one to the next enhanced the story for me.

I've also just finished a short story by Victoria Hislop, The Kafenion. I read The Island a few years ago and didn't like her writing style, far too simplistic, almost as if she's telling a story to pre-schoolers. I thought I'd give her another chance as most of her tales are set in Greece which is where I'm currently exploring. However, this was as bad as the first IMO. I won't be rushing to read any more of her stuff.

Just about to start Escape from Camp 14: One Man's Remarkable Odyssey from North Korea to Freedom in the West*by Blaine Harden.
Stephjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 08:34 AM   #17396
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
Last night I finished The Sword in the Stone by TH White. It's a children's fantasy classic, and I expected a nice fun light read, but in fact I found it a bit of a slog. The main problem I had was that there was really no momentum to it, no through-line. It felt like it was just a series of disconnected short adventures.

It didn't really even reduce my TBR, since I discovered that my Once and Future King omnibus has five parts, not four.

Before that, I read the multi-award-winning Jack Glass by Adam Roberts, which I liked a lot, but maybe had my expectations a bit unrealistically high. I put it as a good solid 8/10 piece of SF. It is intended to combine some aspects of the Golden Ages of SF and Detection, and incorporates a whodunit and a locked-room mystery, but it still reads as fairly modern, I thought.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 11:02 AM   #17397
kainne
Connoisseur
kainne can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskainne can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskainne can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskainne can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskainne can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskainne can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskainne can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskainne can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskainne can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskainne can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskainne can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: PRS-700
Currently reading Metro 1033

Just found this, What Should I read Next
http://www.stumbleupon.com/su/2TRXnp
kainne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 11:34 AM   #17398
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by kainne View Post
Currently reading Metro 1033

Just found this, What Should I read Next
http://www.stumbleupon.com/su/2TRXnp
Karma for that. Nice little tool, similar in a way to Literature Map.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 05:51 PM   #17399
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Patrick O'Brian's Aubrey/Maturin Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Well, that didn't work. OK. Time to get serious. Patrick O'Brian. And right back to the beginning. Master and Commander
Finished. What a great series. I moved on to the second book, Post Captain, which is set immediately during and after the Peace of Amiens, a one year break in the Napoleonic Wars between France and the UK. The scene with the bear suit is absolutely absurd and brilliant.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 08:01 PM   #17400
OldDarth
OldDarth is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.OldDarth is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.OldDarth is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.OldDarth is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.OldDarth is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.OldDarth is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.OldDarth is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.OldDarth is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.OldDarth is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.OldDarth is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.OldDarth is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Device: Kobo Touch / Kindle Fire HD 7
The Shining by Stephen King

Well I'm all set for Dr. Sleep.

It's been over twenty years since I last read this book and as good I thought it was since then, it's even more powerful than I remember. No doubt because in the twenty intervening years I have become a family man and father myself. My focus on this story has shifted from the horror elements to the characters.

Twenty years ago the visceral thrills that the Outlook Hotel gave have been dulled due to the ever expanding boundaries of what horror books/movies etc have shown and told us.

What stands out more in The Shining are the ghosts we carry around inside of us. These ghosts have the potential to be far more damaging and/or terrifying than anything a possessed hotel can throw at us.

Jack and Wendy Torrance are damaged goods trying to cast off the ghosts of their parents. Jack fails and with Wendy it is unclear how she fares moving forward from the end of the book.

And Danny? Ah, poor Danny. With his gift, or curse, of The Shining - the weight of his ghosts is ever so much heavier. Will his ability ultimately help him conquer his demons or will he crash even harder than his father?

Come Sept 24 with the release of Dr. Sleep, answers should be forthcoming.
OldDarth is offline   Reply With Quote