Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 11-28-2004, 11:36 AM   #1
Team7
Zealot
Team7 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Team7 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Team7 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Toshiba e755,Samsung i730
Da Vinci code

I know this has been talked about before but not reviewed. I just got finished reading this the other day and had mixed reviews. I have never read a suspense/mystery book before. I am also not religious. I do love king arthur and grail related stuff as well as da vinci. At the start of the book....well all through the book I felt like the author was trying to impress the reader with his knowledge. I remember reading things that took up pages but were not relevant in any way to the book. For example they pulled into some place that had a french name and he went on to explain how the name was often translated wrong. It had no bearing on the story and that place had no bearing on the story. I understand that info had a big place in this story but alot of the things he went into didnt. I found myself just paging down and skiping it The author also did not have a descriptive writing style at all. I am used to reading fantasy books where description plays a big part of describing the mood. Brown seems more like he keeps the story moving by throwing info at you and not developing anything except where the story is going. I think this was a plus though because I couldnt wait to turn the next page and really wanted to find out how the book ended! I think everyone who can read should read this book. It explains so much about western culture and so many things that make up our daily lives. Alot of this stuff will just blow you away. I also think that if you are religious you need to read this book because why believe in something if you dont know everything about it I havent been impacted by a book this much since musashi. It wasnt so much of a, wow this was a good book!, as a, wow I cant believe that is for real! In closing I dont think I like the authors style but he did an excelent job of gathering the info and making an interesting book.
Team7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2004, 07:15 PM   #2
cbarnett
MR prodigal son
cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
I found the book interesting enough, but not nearly as great as some seem to think it, and certainly not one to remain near the top of the best sellers list as long as it has. My impressions were similar to yours, actually. It read like Brown knew what he was talking about, but was fairly dry, and the characters weren't very well developed at all (IMHO of course).

I think the fact that it plays havoc with so many Christian beliefs (even though only in a fictional sense) made it much more popular than it may have been otherwise.

Craig.
cbarnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-02-2005, 01:45 PM   #3
rajesh
rajesh began at the beginning.

da vinci code

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team7
I know this has been talked about before but not reviewed. I just got finished reading this the other day and had mixed reviews. I have never read a suspense/mystery book before. I am also not religious. I do love king arthur and grail related stuff as well as da vinci. At the start of the book....well all through the book I felt like the author was trying to impress the reader with his knowledge. I remember reading things that took up pages but were not relevant in any way to the book. For example they pulled into some place that had a french name and he went on to explain how the name was often translated wrong. It had no bearing on the story and that place had no bearing on the story. I understand that info had a big place in this story but alot of the things he went into didnt. I found myself just paging down and skiping it The author also did not have a descriptive writing style at all. I am used to reading fantasy books where description plays a big part of describing the mood. Brown seems more like he keeps the story moving by throwing info at you and not developing anything except where the story is going. I think this was a plus though because I couldnt wait to turn the next page and really wanted to find out how the book ended! I think everyone who can read should read this book. It explains so much about western culture and so many things that make up our daily lives. Alot of this stuff will just blow you away. I also think that if you are religious you need to read this book because why believe in something if you dont know everything about it I havent been impacted by a book this much since musashi. It wasnt so much of a, wow this was a good book!, as a, wow I cant believe that is for real! In closing I dont think I like the authors style but he did an excelent job of gathering the info and making an interesting book.
this book is the one i am searching for and i feel lucky
rajesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005, 01:47 PM   #4
rajesh
rajesh began at the beginning.

i would really feel lucky for having found it give me the link to it
rajesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005, 01:53 PM   #5
Colin Dunstan
Is papyrophobic!
Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Dell Axim
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajesh
i would really feel lucky for having found it give me the link to it
http://ereader.com/product/detail/10..._Da_Vinci_Code
Colin Dunstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-19-2005, 09:28 AM   #6
timekeeper
timekeeper began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Ericsson P800
Well, the information, imo, is to give a more subtle background to the story, to engross the reader in the story. Loved the pdf, and went out and bought the paperback edition of all his books
timekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 08:39 PM   #7
Rsaturn9
Rsaturn9 began at the beginning.

Device: x50v
I think it was a great Book, and currently now reading Angles and Demons by the same author, which actually is the prequel to the Davinci Code.
Rsaturn9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 11:29 PM   #8
cbarnett
MR prodigal son
cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I started reading Angels and Demons but got distracted (GRR Martin has a lot to answer for ). I'd like to hear your opinion of the book when you're done, if you don't mind.
Old 10-21-2005, 06:57 PM   #9
Rsaturn9

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbarnett
I started reading Angels and Demons but got distracted (GRR Martin has a lot to answer for ). I'd like to hear your opinion of the book when you're done, if you don't mind.
I am about 2/3 done now but it is a great book that basically could be considered Part 1 of the Davinci code, I will continue with review when I finish
Old 10-21-2005, 07:34 PM   #10
cbarnett
MR prodigal son

Excellent! I look forward to seeing it.
Old 11-28-2005, 07:25 PM   #11
Rsaturn9

Well, I finished "Angel and Demon's" and "Davinci Code", and now have started on Digital Fortress, by the same author Dan Brown. I Really liked both books, and IMO I thought the author was very creative and many times left me in suspense that I hardly could stop reading, which to me does what a good book should do
Old 12-14-2005, 03:20 PM   #12
Dzulaf
Dzulaf began at the beginning.

Device: N6260
hello there, i would like to express my view on the matter. I have read both angels and demons and da vinci code by dan brown and find it quite good actually, in both books he had done good enough research to interest the reader to a point where you would google the thing yourself, the english not so difficult and the additional use of latin in the book teaches me something new, the fact that he put in the first pages of both books the word facts does increase the urge to read the book. Well, i like the book, not my cup of tea but very interesting.
Dzulaf is offline   Reply With Quote