Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-26-2009, 07:08 PM   #181
lala
lala began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
Were you able to open it after you KindleFIXed it and before you ran it through Calibre?
I downloaded another .prc from the library, ran kindlefix on it successfully ("Found the matching record; setting the CustomDRMflag for Kindle
output written to 1984.azw"), and then copied it into the documents folder on my Kindle. I received the same error message.

I've double checked the kindlepid but maybe I can PM one of you my SN and you can confirm that I've got the right one?
lala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 07:18 PM   #182
Lilly
Guru
Lilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-900 & PRS-950, Amazon Kindle2
Quote:
Originally Posted by lala View Post
I downloaded another .prc from the library, ran kindlefix on it successfully ("Found the matching record; setting the CustomDRMflag for Kindle
output written to 1984.azw"), and then copied it into the documents folder on my Kindle. I received the same error message.

I've double checked the kindlepid but maybe I can PM one of you my SN and you can confirm that I've got the right one?
I had this problem a long time ago; the problem for me was that the book was using my computer PID when it download and not the Kindle. I only used Mobi library books & kindlefix once to experiment because I have a Sony PRS-505 and use it exclusively for library books.
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-26-2009, 07:19 PM   #183
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Sure. I'm at work and it will be a couple of hours before I can get back to you if that's okay.

Also I want to make sure you deleted all trace of the file you ran through Calibre (from you Kindle and computer) just to make sure we're working with the correct copy. Sorry to be so elementary but it's hard to diagnose without being there.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 07:32 PM   #184
lala

Quote:
Sure. I'm at work and it will be a couple of hours before I can get back to you if that's okay.
I really appreciate it. I am also at work ... I should be working but am too frustrated! I showed my boss my Kindle and he's thinking about getting one.

I exited Calibre and downloaded a totally new book; I too was worried about residual effects.

I just emailed the library support to delete my Kindle and computer PIDs so that I can start anew. Hopefully that will be done by the time I get home and put the rugrats to bed.
Old 02-26-2009, 08:43 PM   #185
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
These scripts may not run under python 3.0. They were written and tested with 2.6.

BOb
MobiDeDRM.py will not run properly with Python 3.0. It does work with Python 2.5.x or 2.6.x.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-27-2009, 12:31 AM   #186
lala

I think Lilly must be right about my library books being keyed to my computer PID and not my kindle PID (even though my Kindle PID is listed first in the account).

I was able to download, convert and view on my K2 a book I downloaded from Books on Board. I didn't change anything else except for the site I downloaded from.

Thanks everyone!
Old 02-28-2009, 12:33 AM   #187
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
MobiDeDRM.py will not run properly with Python 3.0. It does work with Python 2.5.x or 2.6.x.
I thought I just said that...

Is there and Echo...

Echo..

Oh, I see... you added 2.5.... thanks. yes, I run them with 2.5.1 which is what comes on OS X.5 by default. (But I have installing Macports and updateing that on my to-do list).

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 09:07 PM   #188
CyberBiker
CyberBiker began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle2
Kindle 2
Aluminum MacBook using Leopard 10.5.6

copied "#!/usr/bin/python" (without quotes) into kindlepid.py & kindlefix.py script files
Did not have /usr/local/bin/ directory, so I made one using the following commands in terminal:

cd /usr/local
sudo mkdir bin
cd /bin
sudo ln -s ~/eBooks/tools/kindlefix.py kindlefix
sudo ln -s ~/eBooks/tools/kindlepid.py kindlepid

from /usr/local/bin/ I typed the following:

kindlepid [kindleSerialNumber]

Upon hitting the return key, I got:

-bash: kindlepid: command not found

What did I do incorrectly?
Does the script need to be modified for the Kindle2?

Thanks
CB
CyberBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 09:23 PM   #189
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberBiker View Post
cd /usr/local
sudo mkdir bin
cd /bin
sudo ln -s ~/eBooks/tools/kindlefix.py kindlefix
sudo ln -s ~/eBooks/tools/kindlepid.py kindlepid

from /usr/local/bin/ I typed the following:

kindlepid [kindleSerialNumber]

Upon hitting the return key, I got:

You probably have to add /usr/local/bin to your path. If it didn't already exist it probably isn't in your path.

Add it like this...

cd /etc
sudo pico paths

This will put you into a little editor. Go to the bottom of the file and add and new line with

/usr/local/bin

Then use control-X to exit. It will ask you if you want to save, press Y.

Now you will need to close terminal Cmd-Q... then reopen it and try to type kindlepid at the command line... see if you get the logo response. If so, try your command. If you get an error post it here.

BOb
Old 03-01-2009, 09:27 PM   #190
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
BOb, I'm sure glad you're here to the Mac part. It's a whole new language for me.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 09:34 PM   #191
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
BOb, I'm sure glad you're here to the Mac part. It's a whole new language for me.
Well... I'm getting there. Apparently most people don't have the folder I am having them use. Which is causing some people pain. I'm not sure why I had it. Perhaps something I installed created it and added it to the paths.

I may change this... or perhaps try my hand at writing a shell script to do all this for them.

BOb
Old 03-01-2009, 09:54 PM   #192
CyberBiker

BOb,

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, it didn't work. When I opened the paths file as you suggested, the /usr/local/bin directory was already there. I retyped the entire (short) list, saved the file, exited terminal, restarted terminal and the following occured:

Last login: Sun Mar 1 21:46:27 on ttys000
Aragorn:~ david$ cd /etc
Aragorn:etc david$ sudo pico paths
Aragorn:etc david$ kindlepid
Aragorn:etc david$ cd /usr/local/bin
Aragorn:bin david$ ls
kindlefix kindlepid
Aragorn:bin david$ kindlepid
Aragorn:bin david$

I feel like I am missing something simple, but I can't see what it is.
Thanks,
CB
Old 03-01-2009, 09:59 PM   #193
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Last login: Sun Mar 1 21:46:27 on ttys000
Aragorn:~ david$ cd /etc
Aragorn:etc david$ sudo pico paths
Aragorn:etc david$ kindlepid
Aragorn:etc david$ cd /usr/local/bin
Aragorn:bin david$ ls
kindlefix kindlepid
Aragorn:bin david$ kindlepid
Type

echo $PATH

And verify that /usr/local/bin is shown.

Then type

cd /usr/local/bin

then

ls -l kindlepid

Paste the results here.

BOb
Old 03-01-2009, 10:07 PM   #194
CyberBiker

Here is what I got:

Aragorn:bin david$ echo $PATH
/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:usr/local/bin:/usr/X11/bin
Aragorn:bin david$ cd /usr/local/bin
Aragorn:bin david$ ls -l kindlepid
lrwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 38 Mar 1 20:48 kindlepid -> /Users/david/eBooks/Tools/kindlepid.py
Old 03-01-2009, 10:13 PM   #195
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Here is what I got:

Aragorn:bin david$ echo $PATH
/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:usr/local/bin:/usr/X11/bin
Aragorn:bin david$ cd /usr/local/bin
Aragorn:bin david$ ls -l kindlepid
lrwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 38 Mar 1 20:48 kindlepid -> /Users/david/eBooks/Tools/kindlepid.py
OK... that's good. And can you verify that

/Users/david/eBooks/Tools/kindlepid.py is where that file is?

In that directory do an

ls -l kindlepid.py

BOb

Tags
kindle visual guide, kindlefix, kindlepid, mobi2mobi, mobi2mobi gui