Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-29-2016, 10:22 PM   #976
m0rdant
m0rdant began at the beginning.

Device: Jetbook Color
Cropping of borders on older scanned comics

Hi,

I appreciate the software, and use it a great deal. I'm currently converting for use with my Kobo Aura One (keeping cbz format).

I find the border cropping works fairly well on newer "digital" comics (though page numbers can cause issues) but it doesn't seem to work at all with older comics that were scanned. I wondering if there is a setting I can adjust or if I have to keep manually cropping the borders before processing with kcc. I sometimes read on a tablet with comic rack and it has no problems cropping the borders on these same scanned comics...

Thanks!
m0rdant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 04:49 AM   #977
AcidWeb
KCC Co-Author
AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
Margin detection algorithm is hit and miss. Cropping on default settings will probably fail when margins are grainy.

CLI version of KCC have options to modify cropping power.
AcidWeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-04-2016, 10:12 AM   #978
badbob001
Fanatic
badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard (rip), Kindle Voyage, Fire Tablet 10 '17, iPad '19
Quote:
Originally Posted by m0rdant View Post
I find the border cropping works fairly well on newer "digital" comics (though page numbers can cause issues) but it doesn't seem to work at all with older comics that were scanned. I wondering if there is a setting I can adjust or if I have to keep manually cropping the borders before processing with kcc. I sometimes read on a tablet with comic rack and it has no problems cropping the borders on these same scanned comics...
Often there are page numbers that refuse to be cropped and if you're too aggressive in the attempt, you end up cropping out more than you want. I would use a tool called JPEGCrops to visually crop out the page numbers so that KCC doesn't have to sweat over that. With the tool, I would drag a crop box that is just enough to crop out the page numbers and this will affect all pages simultaneously. if needed, I would adjust the crop box for individual pages. Then I let the crop run. Then process the images in KCC.
http://ekot.dk/programmer/JPEGCrops/
badbob001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 02:43 AM   #979
AcidWeb
KCC Co-Author
AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I finished my analysis of new manga features added in 5.8.5.

Unless Amazon publish some additional tools or there will be major breakthrough in KFX reverse engineering don't expect pinch zoom and ultra fast page changing features soon.

Only way to enable them is create fixed layout KFX files and there is no publicly available way to do that.
Old 11-22-2016, 04:04 AM   #980
AcidWeb
KCC Co-Author

Version 5.2 is out!
  • Added new Panel View options
  • Implemented new margin detection algorithm
  • Removed HQ Panel View mode
  • Fixed multiple smaller issues

Special thanks to aplanas and houcheng for their contributions.
Advert
Old 11-25-2016, 01:21 PM   #981
AcidWeb
KCC Co-Author

Looking for anyone who seen this error during conversion:
Quote:
One of workers crashed. Cause: (<class 'TypeError'>, TypeError('unorderable types: tuple() < int()',))
Old 11-26-2016, 03:43 PM   #982
AcidWeb
KCC Co-Author

Version 5.2.1 is out!
  • Improved directory parsing
  • Tweaked margin detection algorithm
  • Improved error reporting
Old 12-02-2016, 09:06 AM   #983
bobcuspe
bobcuspe began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite
onverted HQs

Hello friends

I have converted some HQs that are in jpg format with the Stretch / Upscale option active, and they look great.

I would like to know the best configuration to convert HQs in CBZ and CBR format?

Thank you
bobcuspe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 02:02 PM   #984
VósMicêSama
VósMicêSama began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I miss the option of PNG output, was useful for create a .mobi file smaller without having to split the final file.
Now i tryed to download a older version but can't find the version i was using, not even on the official website or GitHub :'(

Where can i download a older version?
VósMicêSama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 02:14 PM   #985
AcidWeb
KCC Co-Author

Difference of size was symbolic in most of cases. KindleGen reconverted PNGs to JPEGs anyway...
Old 12-19-2016, 05:20 PM   #986
geninchuni
geninchuni began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 8
Hey I used your app a lot and it's great. But I recently updated it to 5.2 and I saw you removed HQ zoom, it was very usefull for my Kindle since the zoom got, well, HQ...
Is there a way to download the 5.1.3 or compile the windows app from your source code (I'm a programming noob). Thanks
geninchuni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 08:36 AM   #987
AcidWeb
KCC Co-Author

This mode required extremely high quality source files to make any difference on new Kindle models. In most causes it done nothing.

I suggest you to check 2 panel view mode.

Last edited by AcidWeb; 12-20-2016 at 09:52 AM.
Old 12-20-2016, 10:38 PM   #988
geninchuni
geninchuni began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidWeb View Post
This mode required extremely high quality source files to make any difference on new Kindle models. In most causes it done nothing.

I suggest you to check 2 panel view mode.
As you can see, my model is Kindle 8, my resolution is 800x600, the images were most of cases ~1400x900+ in dimensions, so I think it did the job well, because the first time I used your app, I did some tests with and without the HQ Zoom.
Because the difference of size was huge (in a 90MB .cbz, ~80MB with HQZ, and ~25MB without HQZ) and I saw a lot of difference when "double tapping" for zooming the comic.
I will try the 2 panel anyways, but please consider putting the HQ Zoom back just as an extra function, you can also hide this option until you check something in the Preferences menu like "advanced mode" or "labs".
Thanks
Edit: also, now the files are back to the size I mentioned without HQZ (~25MB), and 2 panel view had no effect at all when zooming .

Last edited by geninchuni; 12-20-2016 at 11:03 PM.
geninchuni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 04:43 PM   #989
CheeseJam
CheeseJam began at the beginning.

Device: PW3
Great tool, thanks!

One problem I am having is getting the covers to appear with this hack: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=195474

I am converting CBR/CBZ to MOBI and sideloading them to my Kindle PW3. The thumbnail cover appears, but that hack doesn't seem to recognize the cover to display as a screensaver.

Has anyone who uses both this tool and that hack had any success with the covers showing as screensavers?

Edit: The problem file I was using was very large, around 300mb. I tried a much smaller comic using this tool and had no problems with the ScreenSaver Hack. So, I don't think it is any problem with this tool, but a problem with the ScreenSaver Hack. If anyone DID get the ScreenSaver Hack to work with large MOBIs output by this converter, let me know!

Last edited by CheeseJam; 12-28-2016 at 10:27 PM.
CheeseJam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 03:04 AM   #990
AcidWeb
KCC Co-Author

@geninchuni - I will think how solve this problem.

@CheeseJam - Can't help you with that.

Tags
k5 tools, kcc, kindle tools