Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-31-2011, 08:34 AM   #1
joenunya
Banned
joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle4pc
HP Producing One Last Batch of TouchPads

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2392119,00.asp

Maybe I will be able to grab a couple after all... I got an email from HP yesterday telling me it would be a couple months but they were getting more. This must be why...cool...
joenunya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 08:47 AM   #2
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Thanks for the heads up. I'm following their tweets and blog feed for updates on availability.

Quote:
...developers with CyanogenMod showed off a TouchPad running Android, but it's still in early stages and CyanogenMod said it needs more TouchPads to complete development.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-31-2011, 08:52 AM   #3
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
It would be nice if they could provide updates on current orders. I placed an order on the 20th and it's still being processed, some 11 days later. An email inquiry on the 25th resulted in a form response with no specifics about my order.

This wasn't a well thought out process on HP's part.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 08:56 AM   #4
joenunya
Banned
joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle4pc
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
Thanks for the heads up. I'm following their tweets and blog feed for updates on availability.
you betcha...I'm following too. I figure what the heck, it would be fun to have. And ya know, a small voice inside me wondered if the whole "we're dumping the TouchPad & WebOS" thing was a marketing ploy to get all of their inventory in hands before Christmas...in other words a great low cost way (no need to advertise) to put basically promo devices in a couple million, or more, hands almost overnight. Of course a ton ended up on eBay but there will still be a huge influx to consumers and the tech users. It might be a very slick way to leap frog the existing tablets with market share. Plus is it doesn't work they won't look silly...nothing stopping HP from a change of heart in a couple months.
joenunya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 09:05 AM   #5
din155
Guru
din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Win 10 thinkpad 8in
HP was just overwhelmed by the response shown to price drop of touchpads. Nobody could have thought that a tablet which doesn’t have a future with the company itself could sell so quickly. They couldn’t have thought a process about it. Now after seeing the bloodbath they might as well have given fresh orders and will sell it for higher prices.
din155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-31-2011, 09:38 AM   #6
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by din155 View Post
HP was just overwhelmed by the response shown to price drop of touchpads. Nobody could have thought that a tablet which doesn’t have a future with the company itself could sell so quickly. They couldn’t have thought a process about it. Now after seeing the bloodbath they might as well have given fresh orders and will sell it for higher prices.
Not sure about the higher prices. The indication from the FAQ after the announcement was that they couldn't guarantee that other sellers would stick to the $99 tag, which suggested that HP themselves would. I think this extra stock is also largely earmarked for those with outstanding orders that HP couldn't fulfil, They mentioned that emails had gone out.

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 10:50 AM   #7
slm
Fool
slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle PW1, Kobo Glo HD, Nook Glowlight Plus ...
HP made a large commitment to the manufacturer. Presumably, they are fulfilling the commitment instead of buying their way out of it.
slm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 11:08 AM   #8
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Wonder what happened to the faster Touchpad with 4G that was "in the pipeline" just a month and a half ago.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 12:21 PM   #9
stickybuns
Evangelist
stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Paperwhite 2
The spousal unit called HP to ask when his Touchpad would be arriving and was told that order cancellations were being processed for everyone whose order went through after 4am on August 22. He had a Touchpad in his "shopping cart" on the first day of the fire sale, but HP's website kept crashing, so he couldn't submit until very late on August 21. BUT, the delivery (edit: oops, that should say "order" not "delivery") confirmation was dated August 23.

He's feeling just a tad bitter at HP; the customer service rep only said that the order was being canceled and nothing about there being a second run or previously placed orders getting priority on the second run.

Last edited by stickybuns; 09-03-2011 at 06:27 PM.
stickybuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 12:44 PM   #10
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
It would be nice if they could provide updates on current orders. I placed an order on the 20th and it's still being processed, some 11 days later. An email inquiry on the 25th resulted in a form response with no specifics about my order.

This wasn't a well thought out process on HP's part.
According to this, shipping'll be starting the week of the 12th.

Last edited by JD Gumby; 09-03-2011 at 05:50 PM.
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 12:49 PM   #11
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickybuns View Post
The spousal unit called HP to ask when his Touchpad would be arriving and was told that order cancellations were being processed for everyone whose order went through after 4am on August 22. He had a Touchpad in his "shopping cart" on the first day of the fire sale, but HP's website kept crashing, so he couldn't submit until very late on August 21. BUT, the delivery confirmation was dated August 23.

He's feeling just a tad bitter at HP; the customer service rep only said that the order was being canceled and nothing about there being a second run or previously placed orders getting priority on the second run.
I placed my order before noon PDT on the 20th and it took me over an hour to get it to go through. It wasn't until yesterday, when HP emailed me, that I received any specific information about my order.

What's interesting is that the new batch HP is producing will become available in the next two weeks; which also coincides with the time frame for my order to be shipped. Hmmm...

From the email:

Quote:
Your order will be fulfilled at the discounted price. As we sold out of our existing stock very quickly, we are in the process of re-allocating stock to SMB customers. We should receive this stock within 2 weeks, at which time your order will then ship with free ground shipping.
Old 09-03-2011, 01:10 PM   #12
stickybuns
Evangelist
stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I placed my order before noon PDT on the 20th and it took me over an hour to get it to go through. It wasn't until yesterday, when HP emailed me, that I received any specific information about my order.

What's interesting is that the new batch HP is producing will become available in the next two weeks; which also coincides with the time frame for my order to be shipped. Hmmm...

From the email:
One hour? Not too bad! I'm not sure why he was having so much trouble placing the order, but it just kept timing out before he could get to that final submission screen. After a day and a half of hitting the "submit order" button, he was SO excited to have it go through. (He's currently pouting about HP dating his order confirmation two days after he actually submitted the order.)

He hasn't received any emails (other than the initial order confirmation) about the status, so we're guessing that he won't be getting a tablet. Bummer.

Edited to ask: What's an "SMB" customer?
Old 09-03-2011, 01:24 PM   #13
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickybuns View Post
One hour? Not too bad! I'm not sure why he was having so much trouble placing the order, but it just kept timing out before he could get to that final submission screen. After a day and a half of hitting the "submit order" button, he was SO excited to have it go through. (He's currently pouting about HP dating his order confirmation two days after he actually submitted the order.)

He hasn't received any emails (other than the initial order confirmation) about the status, so we're guessing that he won't be getting a tablet. Bummer.

Edited to ask: What's an "SMB" customer?
It took me numerous attempts on each page before I could proceed to the next step. I must've hit the submit order over 20 times before it took.

That's horrible for HP to change the date like that. Your SU has my sympathies.

SMB stands for HP's Small & Medium Business store. That's where I placed my order after their Home & Home Office store sold out.
Old 09-03-2011, 01:37 PM   #14
stickybuns
Evangelist

Ah, ok. Yeah, he says that he used the SMB store as well. I told him that it only took you an hour to get your order through, and he said that HP's online store probably has its servers distributed by location or something, so you lucked out with a relatively low traffic server while he... not so much.
Old 09-04-2011, 09:46 PM   #15
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Why can't all failed products go out in a blaze of glory like the touchpad, instead of fading quietly into obscurity?

(what do dell, samsung, et al do with all those unsold tablets?)
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote