Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 12-07-2010, 12:20 PM   #1
pat.indie
Edge User

'Android 3.0 "Honeycomb" Previewed, Sweet New Tablet Exposed'- Dailytech

Android 3.0 "Honeycomb" Previewed, Sweet New Tablet Exposed

Old 12-07-2010, 02:59 PM   #2
StevenP
Edge User

After Froyo is complete, Entourage should use this version of Android for the Edge.

Advert
Old 12-07-2010, 07:50 PM   #3
NiaTrue
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenP View Post
After Froyo is complete, Entourage should use this version of Android for the Edge.
Yep, they should just skip gingerbread.

Old 12-07-2010, 08:52 PM   #4
HardBall
Edge User

They already skipped Eclaire, so moving to Honeycomb would be the natural progression of things at Entourage.

Old 12-07-2010, 09:32 PM   #5
Dr. T
Edge User

I think that we forget how much time and effort must go into developing things and getting a software package designed for a phone to run on a tablet. Skipping to Honeycomb may very well mean starting from scratch.

Advert
Old 12-08-2010, 11:34 AM   #6
StevenP
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. T View Post
I think that we forget how much time and effort must go into developing things and getting a software package designed for a phone to run on a tablet. Skipping to Honeycomb may very well mean starting from scratch.
Except that this version is designed to support tablets natively, unlike the previous versions. It would be the logical next step for them, that doesn't mean we expect this version 2 months from now, though.

Old 12-08-2010, 11:52 AM   #7
Steed
Edge User

I agree 100% it only seems logical for them to skip straight to Honeycomb. This would mean starting over but in the long run less reconfiguring to upscale everything to run on the larger screen.

Old 12-08-2010, 12:14 PM   #8
borisb
Edge User

They've been working to get a 2.x upgrade out since about the Spring. They abandoned 2.1, presumably, when 2.2 came out. Do we really want them to throw away 8-9 months of work and start all over again???

And note that 3.0 isn't even available to enTourage yet (it could be 3-6 months, or more), with 2.3 ("Gingerbread") only now finally becoming available. To abandon 2.2 for 3.0 is to wait essentially to the end of next year and stick with 1.6. For that matter, why wait for 3.0 when 4.0 will be so much better? Clearly, this is a ridiculous line of thought

Let enTourage roll out Froyo (2.2), which they've worked so hard to do. Then let's see what they plan for 2.3 and 3.0.

Old 12-08-2010, 12:44 PM   #9
StevenP
Edge User

Boris, I don't think anyone here said skip Froyo, in fact, I think it was the opposite. GingerBread would be the logical step after Froyo is released since it natively supports tablets.

Old 12-08-2010, 12:49 PM   #10
borisb
Edge User

Quote:
I stand corrected

Old 12-08-2010, 12:51 PM   #11
jsfiller
Edge User

People have previously suggested that Entourage skip Froyo and go straight to Gingerbread.

Old 12-08-2010, 12:56 PM   #12
borisb
Edge User

I'm sure one question the enTourage engineering team will ask is if the eDGe hardware can support 3.0 (keep in mind it's much newer and therefore may require significantly more CPU and graphics horsepower).

Old 12-08-2010, 01:35 PM   #13
StevenP
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by borisb View Post
I stand corrected
Don't feel bad Boris. Turns out you're *only* right 99.99% of the time.

Old 12-08-2010, 04:38 PM   #14
StevenP
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by borisb View Post
I'm sure one question the enTourage engineering team will ask is if the eDGe hardware can support 3.0 (keep in mind it's much newer and therefore may require significantly more CPU and graphics horsepower).
This is exactly why I wouldn't want the engineering team to take their eyes off Froyo at the moment. However, they may find in the Gingerbread source code why Froyo is inefficient with larger screen sizes.

Old 12-08-2010, 04:58 PM   #15
GollyJer
Edge User

Quote:
This is exactly why I wouldn't want the engineering team to take their eyes off Froyo at the moment. However, they may find in the Gingerbread source code why Froyo is inefficient with larger screen sizes.
From what I understand, Gingerbread adds "large screen" functionality and exposes it's new APIs to application developers. Basically anything before Gingerbread running on a large screen was kind of a hack. It really makes the efforts put in by the Entourage team even more impressive.

Honeycomb improves this API set even further by allowing developers to "express" their application in different ways depending on screen size. I'm hoping this allows for a "buy it once, use it anywhere" model. This would give Android an edge over iOS where the user has to buy the same app on an iPhone and again for the "HD" version on the iPad.