Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-06-2010, 08:25 AM   #1
WS64
WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura / PB Lux 2 / Bookeen Frontlight / Kobo Mini / Nook Color
How to remove my Kindle form Calibre?

Hello, I just want to use Calibre to convert from mobi to epub or the other way, I don't want it to work as a library.
I want to manually add and remove my books...

But whenever I plug my Kindle to my Computer in Calibre starts searching files on it. Is there a way to stop that?
WS64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 09:09 AM   #2
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Would disabling the plugin work?

(preferences - device interface plugins - Kindle 2/3 Device Interface and then enable/disable plugin button)
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-06-2010, 09:10 AM   #3
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Note that you can do the conversion using the commandline utilities as well- there's no need to add the books to the library.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 10:00 AM   #4
WS64
WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sweetpea, wouldn't I lose my settings that way too?

Manichean, that sounds interesting, can you point me to a place where I can read more about this?
Old 12-06-2010, 10:13 AM   #5
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Try the manual for help on the CLI tools.
As for the "losing your settings" thing, you either want to use your Kindle with Calibre, in which case disabling the plugin would be unwise because Calibre wouldn't recognize the device any more, or you don't want to use it, in which case there aren't any relevant settings to be lost. Either way, I believe the settings you may or may not need are preserved when the plugin is disabled.
Advert
Old 12-06-2010, 04:19 PM   #6
WS64

Manichean, thanks, the command line works fine.
This is actually the way I want it, no need to start calibra at all and add files to a library, just wrote a batch file with all my settings and now can right click on an epub to convert it directly to mobi.

There is just one problem...
The new mobi file is significant bigger than the mobi created by Calibre with my own default settings, and I can't find why. I have added to my batch file all the parameters the same way as they are in Calibre (not all of them are available in the options for the command line, and I think there are some that are just available in the command line and not in Calibre itself). First I thought there is something wrong with the compression, so I even tried to convert using --dont-compress just to see if that was on by default. It was not, the file got even bigger...
So what can cause the file to get bigger with the command line options compared to what Calibre does?
My epub file was 173K, Command line made it a 300K Mobi, and Calibre makes it 227K mobi
Old 12-06-2010, 06:52 PM   #7
Manichean
Wizard

So, is a difference of 3K really relevant?
If you really have to know, ask Kovid how the GUI calls the CLI tools.
Old 12-06-2010, 07:19 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
the GUI doesn't call the CLI tools, they're both interfaces that call the underlying modules. And the system is complex enough that it's not easy to give you an answer. Use the -vv command line argument to produce a list of all options used in the conversion and compare it with the conversion log from teh GUI
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 02:20 AM   #9
WS64

Thanks Kovid, I'll try that!

Manichean, 73K you mean (227 vs 300K)... Well, my Kindle is full (just a few hundred MB free), so if every file gets 1/4 or 1/3 bigger it will be a problem
Old 12-07-2010, 04:40 AM   #10
Manichean
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by WS64 View Post
Manichean, 73K you mean (227 vs 300K)...
Right. I should read, not just skim over.
Old 12-07-2010, 03:08 PM   #11
WS64

Kovid, where do I find any GUI logs?
Old 12-07-2010, 03:09 PM   #12
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

click the rotating spinner in the bottom right corner.
Old 12-07-2010, 04:03 PM   #13
WS64

Kovin, thanks again.
I compared both, full results here

The few differences are
- "cover" and "read_metadata_from_opf", but I guess this is just because Calibre extract the files first from my epub.
- 0 instead 0.0 at CMD
- level1_toc/level2_toc: I was not able to tell my program to use //h:h3 or //h:h4, when I try this ebook-convert.exe creates a directory h3 and puts all the stuff there instead of creating a mobi file.

None of those seems to be important to the filesize...
There must be another difference.
Old 12-07-2010, 04:48 PM   #14
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

the cover is the difference. specify a cover on the command line using --cover
Old 12-07-2010, 05:41 PM   #15
WS64

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
the cover is the difference. specify a cover on the command line using --cover
Yep, that does the trick.

But why?
It is the same jpg, one time taken from inside the epub, one time manually extracted.

Is there a way to get the same result without having to manually extract the cover first?