Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-14-2013, 01:22 AM   #16
arcadata
Grand Sorcerer
arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kindle Fire, iPad, iPod Touch, Sony PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
Lifehacker has some suggestions for alternatives. Time to start experimenting.<sigh>
Their cloud-based alternatives are all down at the moment (or as slow as a turtle). Couldn't handle the influx of new users....
arcadata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 02:00 AM   #17
toddos
Guru
toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Nokia Lumia 920 (Freda)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
What sites have you found? I've found nothing yet that's worked as well for me.
I poked around at a couple today:
  • The Old Reader -- Looks a lot like Google Reader used to, and supports most of the same keyboard shortcuts. Doesn't have any way to categorize feeds into folders (at least as far as I've found). The deal breaker for me is that they only refresh feeds around once a day, with no way to manually force a full refresh. You can refresh each feed individually, but that's not good when you have more than ~3 feeds.
  • NetVibes -- Has a ton more stuff than what I want, but the reader view is okay. Feed management has to be done through the widget view, and the deal breaker for me is that there's no way to sort feeds oldest first. It also doesn't seem to refresh often enough, at least in comparison to Google Reader.
  • Bloglines -- this is literally just a reskinned NetVibes, though possibly hosted on different servers. Same shortcomings apply.

I haven't yet tried NewsBlur because they're currently down, but it's open source, meaning you could spin up your own local server if you wanted. But I don't know what the UI looks like, so I'm not going to do that until I've had a chance to play with the public site.

For now, nothing is as good as Google Reader, so I'll keep using that and hope this will all blow over once Google realizes how many people are still using the service.
toddos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 03:40 AM   #18
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Perhaps they should make it a pay service. Presumably people who find it useful wouldn't mind paying a small monthly fee for it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 04:03 AM   #19
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
I use Pulse; and am very happy with it.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 04:15 AM   #20
NightGeometry
Zealot
NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Kindle 3G, Kindle DX
I can only imagine Google know exactly how many people are using it, and how often.
I'm not hopeful of a reprieve.
NightGeometry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 04:37 AM   #21
David Munch
Scholar
David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O + iPad Air 4
If they don't earn money on it, it makes sense for them to shut it down. But aw man..

I *never* use the web interface as I find it absolutely horrible, but I use it for syncing my feeds across units, using third party applications..
David Munch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 05:05 AM   #22
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Would you be willing to pay, say, $10 a year for it?
Old 03-14-2013, 05:14 AM   #23
NightGeometry
Zealot
NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Kindle 3G, Kindle DX
I would. But a paid version woukd, I assume, have significantly less users, so possibly it would be less important to integrate into other software, so it's usefulness would decline. Maybe.
NightGeometry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 05:15 AM   #24
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Yes (Are you gonna go higher now?)
copyrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 05:18 AM   #25
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by copyrite View Post
Yes (Are you gonna go higher now?)
No. I think that's probably a reasonable price for a service such as this.
Old 03-14-2013, 05:24 AM   #26
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
I will be watching this thread with interest for recommendations. I played around with Feedly for a bit last night, but it seemed slow to respond, both Web and Android versions. We'll see.
copyrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 06:16 AM   #27
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I use Pulse; and am very happy with it.
Ditto.
Apache
Apache is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 07:15 AM   #28
Ninjalawyer
Guru
Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nexus 7 (2013)
I rarely use the web interface, but I do use apps like Newsify to get my Google Reader feeds on my phone. It'll be interesting to see what 3rd party apps that rely on Google Reader transition to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Sure, I pay $12 a year for a password manager, so $10 for this would be reasonable. If only that option were on the table. Given Google's business model (free to end users and supported by ads), I don't hold out much hope for a paid version. Although a paid version would need to offer more and better features than it does now.

Last edited by Ninjalawyer; 03-14-2013 at 07:18 AM.
Ninjalawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 08:02 AM   #29
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
The latest version of Mail on the Mac stopped doing RSS feeds. I signed up for a service that will email them to me instead. It is called Blogtrottr. It works for me. I probably use it differently than most of you though: I'm not getting daily news on it, but rather using it for blogs which update infrequently and irregularly (so I can't be bothered to keep checking them).

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 10:02 AM   #30
sakura-panda
Guru
sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2017 10.5" iPad Pro (Kobo, NOOK, Kindle, Google Play Books & Scribd)
I use Feedly to read my Google Reader feeds, though Chrome on my PC and the iOS app on my iPhone and iPad. It appears that like they have a seamless transition prepared so that I won't be affected by the change.

I love Feedly! So happy that I won't have to move away from it!
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote