Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 07-14-2011, 08:59 AM   #1
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
DigiReads - Ebook Version of Older Works

CRussel has already posted about DigiRead's issuing Angela Thirkell's classic Barsetshire series as Kindle ebooks. (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=142343).

I contacted DigiReads to thank them for this, and suggest some other authors I would like to see re-issued as ebooks (they welcome suggestions), and got this response:
Quote:
Thank you for your appreciative message, and Digireads will indeed be publishing all the Barsetshire novels over the next few months. We've also looked at Barbara Pym and digital rights to most of her novels are not available, though we are talking to her agent about those that are free.

The Rue Morgue Press is great but we're not sure how many people would know of or be interested in the "minor" crime writers they have - while digital rights to the well-known ones have already gone.

It's very good to have feedback from knowledgeable readers like yourself, so please spread the word!

All good wishes

Peter Buckman
Digireads
I think MobileRead has many enthusiastic readers of "Golden Age" mysteries, whose publishing rights are now held by Rue Morgue (which does NOT support ebook publication). So I encourage you to contact Digireads to suggest authors for them to consider publishing. And, if you are a fan of authors now published solely by Rue Morgue and other publishers that do not offer ebook versions, I encourage you to let them know there is an audience eager to read these older, lesser known authors.
Their email address: publisher@digireads.co.uk
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 09:42 AM   #2
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Between Digireads and Delphi Classics, I'm developing a complex. Would it be so hard to find an ePub venue for these books?
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-14-2011, 09:51 AM   #3
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I think these new "start-up" companies are benefiting from the in place Amazon infrastructure for marketing their books.
Old 07-15-2011, 09:16 AM   #4
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Between Digireads and Delphi Classics, I'm developing a complex. Would it be so hard to find an ePub venue for these books?
Now issybird, you know format is irrelevant and convertible. Yes, I understand the desire to have it natively, but I don't whine when a book I want is only in ePub. I buy it, liberate it, and convert it.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 11:51 AM   #5
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Now issybird, you know format is irrelevant and convertible. Yes, I understand the desire to have it natively, but I don't whine when a book I want is only in ePub. I buy it, liberate it, and convert it.
In my defense, I tried. Visited Apprentice Alf, did the download, unzipped the files, yadda yadda, but hit a snag. The plug-ins showed up in Calibre, but as doing "absolutely nothing." Great!

I've had a busy couple of months and no time for fiddling, but I'm on a new(er) computer now and hope it was just an issue with my last one. So I'll take up arms against those recalcitrant plug-ins once more.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-15-2011, 11:57 AM   #6
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
I think it's excellent that publishers like these are actively seeking backlist titles in this way. They deserve our support.

As far as format is concerned, I can understand why they focus on Kindle. It's very much easier to sell books through Amazon. But I'm surprised they only offer their titles through Amazon in the UK. I would have thought that Amazon.com would be a much bigger market.
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 04:43 PM   #7
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Some conversions just don't convert well, though. I just picked up a book the other day that was a free promo from Amazon and converted it with Calibre, and it came out with some poor formatting and a lot of question marks sprinkled into the text. Luckily it was free the next day at BN, and that formatting looks great.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 11:11 PM   #8
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
I am wondering what has happened to DigiReads in the past view days. Their website is down and "under review" and, at least in Canada, the Angela Thirkell appears to be missing. The only Neeland Media (aka DigiReads) ebooks I can find are public domain stuff.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 05:35 AM   #9
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Your're right. The website does appear to be down.

It seems odd that the whole site should be "under review". I hope it's not permanent.
Old 07-17-2011, 10:15 AM   #10
poohbear_nc
Now what?

Uh oh! Thirkell kindle books gone too in USA! Wonder if they really had the digital rights to these titles? Moyer Bell is still publishing the pbook versions.
Old 07-17-2011, 10:21 AM   #11
poohbear_nc
Now what?

Anyone who bought these titles - download/save a copy on your PC or USB storage - in case Amazon decides to pull these titles. I don't know if Amazon would have to remove them from your Archive.
Old 07-18-2011, 07:14 AM   #12
Mike L
Wizard

The Angela Thirkell titles have been removed from Amazon in the UK too (but paper versions are still present).

Poohbear is probably right. Could be a dispute over rights.
Old 07-18-2011, 10:19 AM   #13
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
This does not look good. Darn. Makes me wish I'd bought more than the first. (It, of course, is safely liberated and in Calibre!)
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote