Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 10-15-2013, 06:31 PM   #1
Ritzy
Ritzy began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Kindle Book Opens to Wrong Page Instead of Cover

Hi,

For some reason my kindle book opens in the middle of the Table of Contents, rather than to the cover. How can I fix this? I'm not great with code, so please let me know the easiest way possible.

Thanks Guys
Ritzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 02:34 PM   #2
sjkramer
Connoisseur
sjkramer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjkramer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjkramer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjkramer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjkramer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjkramer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjkramer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjkramer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjkramer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjkramer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjkramer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone
I've been having a similar problem—but only when a colleague tests the files, generated in Kindle Previewer 2.922 for Mac (and recent, older versions of the Previewer), on her Kindle device. Unfortunately, she hasn't been able to tell me the particular Kindle device she has, but it is an e-ink Kindle, purchased in the last three years. Note that in the Previewer program, the files open to the first pages of the Introduction or text, never to the end of the contents.

This wouldn't be such a problem if the book opened to the *beginning* of the contents, or to the beginning of any section. However, it tends to open to the end of the contents page—almost as if it's attempting to get to the text that begins directly after it (in most cases the Introduction) but can't quite do it. Setting the Semantic "Text" in Sigil does not affect the open position.

I've read up on this issue in various forums (going back several years), but haven't found one that satisfies the issue.
sjkramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 08:43 PM   #3
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
The short answer is:

You will beat your head against the brick wall of making this work on every device/app out there and probably not succeed. And on the off chance that the stars align and you DO create a kindlebook that opens at the exact right place (on every device/app out there) ... when you upload it to KDP, Amazon's process will very likely change it to what they think it should be anyway.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 06:59 PM   #4
sjkramer
Connoisseur
sjkramer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjkramer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjkramer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjkramer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjkramer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjkramer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjkramer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjkramer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjkramer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjkramer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjkramer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
The short answer is:

You will beat your head against the brick wall of making this work on every device/app out there and probably not succeed.
Thanks for the oddly comforting answer. This is what I was afraid of. Just when you think you've lived with everything you have to live with with Kindle formatting, something else comes along. But I shouldn't complain, KF8 is miles ahead of mobi. I should be grateful!
sjkramer is offline   Reply With Quote