Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-23-2010, 10:23 AM   #1
astrodad
Guru
astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Paperwhite 1, iPad, iPhone
Automatically convert file to EPUB upon import into library

I'd like to automatically convert a file to ePub upon import into the library. I figured I would need some kind of plugin to do this, but I was curious if anyone has already done this kind of thing.

Anyone?
astrodad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 11:52 AM   #2
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Sounds like magic to me
Alternatively if you don't already know, in preferences->general you can make epub you default output and then it is just two mouse clicks to convert.
To convert each fie to a specific format on input would really slow down the import process and make slower computers like my duo core laptop go into meltdown
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-23-2010, 12:02 PM   #3
astrodad
Guru
astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for the response, though I am familiar with the GUI options to convert. I import all my files through the command line interface via an automated script. I want to convert them on import so that the EPUB is always available to me immediately within the calibre content server, so that I don't have to worry about launching a desktop and opening up calibre.
Old 07-23-2010, 12:06 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by jplumey View Post
I'd like to automatically convert a file to ePub upon import into the library. I figured I would need some kind of plugin to do this, but I was curious if anyone has already done this kind of thing.

Anyone?
Why would you convert before you fixed up everything else.
Rarely is the Meta-data (Tags, specifically) neat and clean and contents of other fields Normalized.

Old computer adage: GIGO
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 12:11 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
If you're importing via a script, use ebook-convert to convert the files first in your script.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-23-2010, 12:12 PM   #6
astrodad
Guru

I tend to do my meta-data corrections in batches when I have to sit in front of the computer. I make sure the essentials are correct chiefly by downloading only from good sources (eg Mobileread). What's essential to me is getting the book as quickly as possible into my reader(s). You're right of course, about GIGO, but I haven't had any major problems thus far.
Old 07-23-2010, 12:22 PM   #7
astrodad
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
If you're importing via a script, use ebook-convert to convert the files first in your script.
Well, duh. It's the same code isn't it? Since ebook-convert doesn't take wildcards, so I'll have to iterate through the folder contents. Cool, that should be fun. I'm not a script ninja but this is fun learning how to do this.

Thanks again Kovid!

Of course this would be A LOT simpler if I could just upload into the calibre library from the catalog pages.