Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 01-15-2009, 09:59 PM   #1
ajncooter
ajncooter began at the beginning.

Device: none
HELP PLEASE!

Hi I'm new to the forum and new to the ebook world.. I would like to purchase an ebook but need some help. If you buy a Sony can you only download books from sony? I like the Kindle too but I just want to find the best one for me.. I am not really good with electronics but love to read and travel for a living so it would be a great match for me to have? Any suggestions?
ajncooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 10:07 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajncooter View Post
Hi I'm new to the forum and new to the ebook world.. I would like to purchase an ebook but need some help. If you buy a Sony can you only download books from sony? I like the Kindle too but I just want to find the best one for me.. I am not really good with electronics but love to read and travel for a living so it would be a great match for me to have? Any suggestions?
Hi, ajncooter, and welcome. Here is a link to a thread that was started here just for people like you. Enjoy, and feel free to ask any other questions you may have.
A lot depends on where you live, and what you would like to do beside read with the device you choose......

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-15-2009, 10:14 PM   #3
ajncooter

thanks.. I live in Michigan.. does that mean if i buy a sony i have to download only from sony and same for kindle?

thanks
Old 01-15-2009, 10:16 PM   #4
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Welcome!

There are pros and cons for both, but the good news is you don't have to buy from strictly Sony or Amazon (I'm lazy though, so I stick with the ebookstore). Have you looked at the features of both?

I went with the Reader because I didn't like all of the buttons on the bottom of the Kindle and didn't need the wireless technology, and it was cheaper. But some people like the Kindle better because of the wireless, its searchable dictionary, etc.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 10:25 PM   #5
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Quote:
I live in Michigan.. does that mean if i buy a sony i have to download only from sony and same for kindle?
No --

With a Sony, you can purchase non-secure (i.e. multiformat) books from Fictionwise and Baen. You can purchase books in ePub format from BooksOnBoard and maybe from other online stores. (I'm not sure who sells ePub books) Secure books in the .lrf format are only available from the Sony store.

With a Kindle, you can purchase non-secure (i.e. multiformat) books from Fictionwise and Baen. Secure books for the Kindle are only available from Amazon.com.

With either device, you can download books from MobileRead, Feedbooks, ManyBooks, Munseys, TOR, Steve Jordan, Jeffrey Carver, and several other sites.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-16-2009, 10:53 AM   #6
ajncooter

thanks guys that really helps me alot.. i am a girly girl and only really like romance novels so i just wanted to make sure I could download from any site? Does anyone happen to know of an affordable site for my kind of books?
Old 01-16-2009, 11:23 AM   #7
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
thanks guys that really helps me alot.. i am a girly girl and only really like romance novels so i just wanted to make sure I could download from any site? Does anyone happen to know of an affordable site for my kind of books?
Honestly, as a Romance reader myself I really like Sony's selection. The mass market titles are all at least 5% off (a lot of the time 10%). They also have great bundles. On the Kindle, I've noticed a few that aren't discounted at all, but then some are discounted more. You can also use eHarlequin, but I haven't tried that.

Plus, Sony had ads specifically targeting romance readers, how cool is that? I wish I had a pic of it - I saw it in the Port Authority. It said "Read hundreds of romance novels...and no one can see the cover."
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 11:24 AM   #8
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Quote:
You could check your local and regional libraries. My regional library lends out books in Adobe PDF eBook or Mobipocket eBook format, both of which are DRM'd and expire in 3 weeks.

Lately though, when I go to borrow, the only books available are romance novels, not my kind of reading, but sound right up your reading alley. You can go the Wiki and read up on lending libraries, and it might even direct you to one in your area.

Good hunting and reading. WDE
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 01:04 PM   #9
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi ajncooter and welcome to the Forum.

My local Library (Fairfax) lends out eBooks in ADE format and they run fine on my Sony. And I'm pretty sure they'd let you join as an eMember for a small fee every year.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 01:22 PM   #10
ajncooter

hmmm very interesting.. thanks I am feeling a lot better about purchasing my ebook reader...
Old 01-16-2009, 02:56 PM   #11
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Harlequin will be giving away 16 ebooks later this month. See

http://www.harlequincelebrates.com/

Quote:
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote