Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 05-03-2013, 01:13 PM   #1
MKPinner
MKPinner began at the beginning.

Device: none
Nook Glow Vs Kindle Paperwhite

As many will be aware Nook is heavily discounted at the moment in the UK. I have wanted an illuminated ebook reader ever since i broke my original kindle. I have been offered a Kindle Paperwhite at £75 so the price is almost the same.

I read a lot in bed and don't want to buy an e-reader that will have issues with lighting. That's what led me to not consider Kobo as it seems the light is quite bright even at the lowest settings. My main consideration will be how the ereader will handle in the dark as I can always convert books from amazon using calibre if I need to use nook .

Between the nook & Kindle what do you guys think is better .i.e easier to read without being too bright or distracting with uneven illumination..

I wish i could rent both of these and try for a day or two!
MKPinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 03:13 PM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Both work just fine, in my experience.

People might tell you the Kindle Paperwhite has quality control issues, but all the complaints about uneven lighting, splotchy random colors appearing, etc. on the Paperwhite were in the first few months of its existence, while they frantically churned out Paperwhites for the Christmas season. (And all of those people got replacements.) 5 months later, that isn't a problem, and the 6 friends who I just guided in buying a Paperwhite have had no problems.

The Nook SimpleTouch with Glowlight owwned by a different friend also works perfectly in terms of the illumination. That being said, I didn't like its UI very much.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-04-2013, 02:06 AM   #3
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
I think the PW is better. Here is why:

-Backed up by a more solid and bigger ecosystem
-Light is more even on PW
-Landscape mode (if I am not mistaken, it's missing on Glow)
-In my opinion, Amazon customer support its better
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 02:17 AM   #4
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKPinner View Post
I read a lot in bed and don't want to buy an e-reader that will have issues with lighting. That's what led me to not consider Kobo as it seems the light is quite bright even at the lowest settings.
True of the Glo (though a little improved with the most recent firmware), but not of the Aura. It may be out of your price range, however.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 05:35 PM   #5
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
I would definitely take the Kindle paperwhite over the Nook Glowlight. The Nook's light comes out of the top, so you are more apt to see it depending on the position of the ereader. That would bother me. And the home screen has "recommendations" that I don't believe can be turned off.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-05-2013, 07:07 PM   #6
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Quote:
...I read a lot in bed and don't want to buy an e-reader that will have issues with lighting. That's what led me to not consider Kobo as it seems the light is quite bright even at the lowest settings.
I recently got a Kobo Glo and I couldn't disagree more with that. When in a normally lit room, the difference between the lowest setting and off is barely discernible. When in a totally dark room, the lowest light setting is very comfortable to read by, for myself I could even turn it up a notch or two from the lowest setting and still not be too bright.

The light is also very even... there are no cones at the bottom of the screen as I've read about the Paperwhite or even the Nook from the top. All in all, I'm very pleased with the light on the Kobo Glo and couldn't ask for anything better with it.

Maybe the hardware has improved some since the initial release, or the newest firmware does a better job of regulating the light. But it might be worth taking a look at the Kobo Glo for yourself and not rule it out just from others' past posts.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 08:38 PM   #7
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
My Kobo Glo should arrive next week, so I'll give my opinion on it soon!
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 11:01 PM   #8
MKPinner
MKPinner began at the beginning.

Device: none
Hi Guys

Thanks for your posts. Does anyone have any first hand experience with Aura? I don't mind paying a bit extra if the Aura is that much better than the existing line up of readers.

Am i right in assuming the problems with uneven lighting and in the case of kobo , excessive lighting , have disappeared?

If that's the case , i guess Kindle is the best option as it allows webpages and documents emailed to the device itself.
MKPinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 11:35 PM   #9
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
There is a lot of first hand experience with the Aura HD in the Kobo forum. No matter what else is said, they love the screen and the light seems to be perfect.

For the initial models of the Glo, the minimum light level was to bright and bluish. I didn't mind it, but I would have liked at least one lower level to try. The latest firmware has reduced the brightness of at least the bottom couple of levels. And Kobo have changed the colour of the light with the later batches of the Glo. It is reported to be yellower.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 01:35 AM   #10
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Hi Guys

Thanks for your posts. Does anyone have any first hand experience with Aura? I don't mind paying a bit extra if the Aura is that much better than the existing line up of readers.

Am i right in assuming the problems with uneven lighting and in the case of kobo , excessive lighting , have disappeared?

If that's the case , i guess Kindle is the best option as it allows webpages and documents emailed to the device itself.
Yes, the problems with the Paperwhite's uneven lighting hsve disappeared.

I would go with the Paperwhite, since I find Amazon customer support better than B&N, and because of the mailing personal docs (which are also saved in the cloud for you) and because there are 2 cool features in Kindle books: popular highlights, which underlines the passages in a book that are most commonly highlighted by Kindle owners, and x-ray, which "x-ray's" many books and gives an index of chaacters and where they appear in a book, with the wikipedia and shelfari descrotions of the characters.

If you borrow books from the library, Overdrive.com has much smoother integration with the Kindle than with the Nook or Kobo.

Last edited by eschwartz; 05-06-2013 at 01:56 AM.
Old 05-06-2013, 04:40 AM   #11
guitarizt
Connoisseur
guitarizt has learned how to read e-booksguitarizt has learned how to read e-booksguitarizt has learned how to read e-booksguitarizt has learned how to read e-booksguitarizt has learned how to read e-booksguitarizt has learned how to read e-booksguitarizt has learned how to read e-booksguitarizt has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony PRS-T1; PW1; H2O
I tried the Glowlight when it came out and I couldn't stand the bar of light at the top which was the #1 deal breaker for me. I bought a Sony PRS-T1 at the time. Later on I tried the PW and it looked awesome to me. Here's some other stuff that matters to me. It might not matter to you, and if the GL had no light bar I would have bought it when it came out so all this stuff isn't _that_ important to me.

I love the page turn buttons on the GL. I love that it can be rooted. I hate the 1 month battery life. I hate the reviews of the fragile screen and problems with touch and the screen.

I love the screen and even lighting on the PW (no annoying bars of light). I love the battery life. I love how simple and ergonomic the PW is. I hate that it has no physical page turn buttons.
guitarizt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 03:20 PM   #12
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

What do you need to root an e-ink eReader for???

I think a one-month battery life is pretty darn good -- it is about what the paperwhite gets, too. (NOTE: I say this as a devoted Kindle fan.)

And I'm not sure why people hate the lack of a physical page turn button (although we must agree to disagree) because touching the screen is even easier than a button is.
Old 05-08-2013, 01:48 AM   #13
guitarizt
Connoisseur
guitarizt has learned how to read e-booksguitarizt has learned how to read e-booksguitarizt has learned how to read e-booksguitarizt has learned how to read e-booksguitarizt has learned how to read e-booksguitarizt has learned how to read e-booksguitarizt has learned how to read e-booksguitarizt has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony PRS-T1; PW1; H2O
re 1) Rooting things is fun and awesome and makes the nook so much better to me.

re 2) Paperwhite gets about 2 months at 30 min a day and general consensus on forums seems to be about 28 real world hours. It's confusing when companies say 1 month or 2 month battery life since that's reading only 30 min a day. My T1 is rated at 1 month battery life, but when I'm reading a lot that can mean 3 days. It's all about the number of page turns and time spent reading. This is why I go for readers rated at 2 months because usually that means about 28 hours like what the PW and Aura get. 14 hours is way too little for me. I'm a stickler for battery life because I hate having to worry so much about it. I don't want to settle for 14 hrs with the Nook Glowlight when I can easily get 28 hrs from the PW or Aura.

re 3) I like tactile things. I miss physical keyboards on phones.
guitarizt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 12:32 PM   #14
evanft
Zealot
evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
I bought and returned a KPW right before I ordered my Aura. The lighting was that bad. The Aura is much, much better.

That being said, the Nook Glow is much worse than the KPW. I would go with the PW if it was just between those two.
evanft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 02:29 PM   #15
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarizt View Post
re 1) Rooting things is fun and awesome and makes the nook so much better to me.
re 2) Paperwhite gets about 2 months at 30 min a day and general consensus on forums seems to be about 28 real world hours. It's confusing when companies say 1 month or 2 month battery life since that's reading only 30 min a day. My T1 is rated at 1 month battery life, but when I'm reading a lot that can mean 3 days. It's all about the number of page turns and time spent reading. This is why I go for readers rated at 2 months because usually that means about 28 hours like what the PW and Aura get. 14 hours is way too little for me. I'm a stickler for battery life because I hate having to worry so much about it. I don't want to settle for 14 hrs with the Nook Glowlight when I can easily get 28 hrs from the PW or Aura.
re 3) I like tactile things. I miss physical keyboards on phones.
I still don't see the appeal for rooting your device. I have my Kindle for READING, and it does that best when only the words of the book are on the screen. What more do you need? (Although there is a jailbreak for the Kindle, and I might actually put it on -- purely so the screensaver is the cover of my current book.)

I get the battery, I guess -- although I charge whenever my Kindle Touch is at about 30% and I'm not reading, so I personally don't notice any downtime on my Kindle at all.

I don't understand why a physical directional button is better -- although I agree keyboards on phones are inferior to PC keyboards, that is because they are (slightly) harder to use! The touch screen on the PW has MORE space to hit forward with.