Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 11-19-2012, 02:25 PM   #91
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
I have the Space Regencies trilogy in audio, and that'll be my next listen after I finish The Sharing Knife books by Lois McMaster Bujold.

There's a difference between being left wanting more, and a cliff-hanger ending. Which is it?
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 02:42 PM   #92
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
I very much enjoyed the Space Regencies Audible books. (Actually, I very much enjoyed all the Liaden Audible books, having saved up credits knowing they were coming.)

I would say that I was left wanting more, but that it wasn't a cliff-hanger. I very much want to find out what happens next, but no one was left hanging in the breeze.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-19-2012, 03:13 PM   #93
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

oh, good, because Daav was pretty much left hanging at the end of Ghost Ship.

The Sharing Knife books leave me wanting more, but they do have a definite end. I guess I want TSK: The Next Generation.
Old 11-20-2012, 02:15 PM   #94
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I would say that Dragon Ship is somewhere between The Sharing Knife and Ghost Ship. There are definitely loose ends and problems to resolve, but it's not quite as abrupt and cliff-hanging as GS.
Old 11-20-2012, 02:55 PM   #95
BeccaPrice
Wizard

Thanks. I'm almost done with Necessity's Child, and am enjoying it more than I did Ghost Ship. maybe it's just taking me some time to get back into the rhythm of the Liaden books.
Advert
Old 11-22-2012, 04:58 AM   #96
artifact
Addict
artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: jetBook (RIP), Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
Also, I *know* I hadn't read Ghost Ship before, but the cliff-hanger ending with Daav sounded awfully familiar - was that in one of the other books as well?

Does Dragon Ship end with a similar cliff-hanger? because if so, I might just re-read earllier sequences, and wait for the next Theo Waitley book to come out, when ever it does.
If you still haven't read Dragon Ship, yes it still leaves Daav hanging *grrr*. Personally I would have preferred they have the whoel Daav sequence 'off camera' and only introduced when it could also be resolved.

On other news no one has mentioned this yet from Sharon Lee's Blog:
Quote:
Submitted last evening, “Eleutherios,” a short story by Sharon Lee and Steve Miller commissioned for the Baen front page, January 2013 publication date.
Since its both Lee and Miller here is hoping its Liaden!
artifact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 11:59 AM   #97
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Well, yes, it does leave Daav hanging a bit. But moving forward.

The story for January is a bit of a promo for Necessity's Child, which comes out February, officially. So yes, I hope it will be a Liaden story.

Also, January is the delivery date for Trade Secrets, a Liaden novel NOT in the current story line, but rather a sequel to Balance of Trade. So one could hope for an eArc of that in the spring?
Old 11-22-2012, 10:06 PM   #98
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
Oh, I'm looking forward to "Trade Secrets".

I'm going through all the audiobooks now, which is a nice way to "re-read" the series. I finished the Agent of Change story arc, and decided that instead of moving onto the Theo Waitley arc, I'd backtrack into the Jela/Cantra arc, which gives more background into the dramliza. I finished listening to "Crystal Soldier" and am now into "Crystal Dragon". So "Balance of Trade" will be the next one. I've always wanted to read more of Jethri's story and find out how Uncle's "family" goes on.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 12:59 PM   #99
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Yes, I used the audio books much the same way. And enjoyed them immensely. I started with Jela, moved into the romances, and on to Agent of Change, reading in chronological order this time. (Original read was in a mix of personal discovery order plus publishing order.)

Now waiting patiently for Necessity's Child Audible book. (I read the eARC already. )
Old 11-23-2012, 02:29 PM   #100
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Ok.. I've hooked my roommate on the Liaden Universe. She's worked her way through nearly all the novels and has started on the short stories/chap books.

We've pretty much got the reading order down for the novels, but she asked me last night if there was a reading order to the short stories.

Wikipedia has a listing of the short stories in what I assume is published order here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liaden_...#Short_stories

but I've yet to find anything listed chronologically. I'm just anal enough to attempt a list if there's nothing else available.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 06:16 PM   #101
CRussel
(he/him/his)

So far as I know, there isn't any specific order for the short stories. Most are not specifically of any particular time (though there are a couple of exceptions). Personally, I'd just start at the beginning and work my way through in the order released. Several of them focus around Moonhawk and Lute, and they appear to be published in an order that makes sense.

Last edited by CRussel; 11-23-2012 at 06:19 PM.
Old 11-23-2012, 07:01 PM   #102
BeccaPrice
Wizard

On the other hand, here is a good listing for the order the books should be read in.

I just finished Necessity's Child (eARC) - I really enjoyed it. I'm now working my way through Dragon Ship.
Old 11-28-2012, 01:21 AM   #103
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
Now that I've listened to Crystal Dragon, I'm interested in re-reading the Moonhawk/Lute short stories. I think I'll get more out of them now, because I've got a better grasp of who they used to be.

When it comes to the short stories, I haven't read them in any particular order, just as I've managed to pick them up when I'm in funds.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 08:45 AM   #104
BeccaPrice
Wizard

If you're interested in the short stories, you might be interested in this bit of news:

The Baen Schedule for June 2013 has the first of the promised short story
> collections.
>
> A Liaden Universe Constellation volume 1: Sharon Lee and Steve Miller
>
>
> rejoice, again ,I say rejoice !
Old 11-28-2012, 12:08 PM   #105
CRussel
(he/him/his)

They're already available as Baen eBooks for the first dozen of them. The Constellation is just a re-packaging of what is already out as Liaden Universe Big Bang. So don't wait, grab the Big Bang and get started on them. (You can read the ones after #12 by buying them as individual chapbooks.)