Notices

Old 05-25-2011, 05:44 AM   #196
MechR
Connoisseur
MechR began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew H. View Post
It doesn't look as squat in the second picture - maybe the first picture is distorted.
Other way around, I'm afraid

Incidentally, if you thought the front looked bad...

MechR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 05:59 AM   #197
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechR View Post
Other way around, I'm afraid

Incidentally, if you thought the front looked bad...

It looks like a Rubbermaid lid

tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-25-2011, 07:45 AM   #198
markdek
Addict
markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Believe me, Rubbermaid containers will last way longer than this new Nook; in 6 months it will be a old, slow, out-dated relic....tis the sign of the times. Good for having the latest tech., but bad for the pocket book.

markdek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 08:04 AM   #199
hughes
Addict
hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Galaxy Nexus, iPad 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Perhaps it prevents spoiling by protecting the back of the book.
hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 08:11 AM   #200
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
I have to agree with the chubby/big bezel comments. Aesthetically, I much prefer the new Kobo. But maybe that's because the form factor of the new Kobo is nearly the same as my beloved Sony 650!

And yes, the Sonys are definitely way overpriced and way out of date now, no reason to get one. But let's remember that they were the first to market this IR touchscreen that Kobo and Nook are now using. Sony usually comes out with new models in the fall, we'll see if this fall brings some new innovation (for a high price).

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-25-2011, 08:12 AM   #201
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel, Kindle G1 (broken), iPod Touch
Looks better from this angle:

RockdaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 09:17 AM   #202
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by elemenoP View Post
I have to agree with the chubby/big bezel comments. Aesthetically, I much prefer the new Kobo. But maybe that's because the form factor of the new Kobo is nearly the same as my beloved Sony 650!

And yes, the Sonys are definitely way overpriced and way out of date now, no reason to get one. But let's remember that they were the first to market this IR touchscreen that Kobo and Nook are now using. Sony usually comes out with new models in the fall, we'll see if this fall brings some new innovation (for a high price).

eP
I don't know what Sony can do to compete. They are no longer the only touchscreen. They are no longer one of two companies with the Pearl screen. They don't seem to want to offer WiFi on all of their devices.

If Sony wants to compete it is going to have to drop its prices and probably add WiFi across the board. It cannot justify the price difference between its devices, the new Kobo, and the new Nook based on a more sturdy casing.

Maybe an announcement of color e-ink or something similar to e-ink with color could save Sony.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 09:37 AM   #203
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
They don't seem to want to offer WiFi on all of their devices.
Personally, I find WiFi without a browser to be useless. It's good for the company by being tied in to their bookstore, but I'm quite content to sideload all of my content.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 09:52 AM   #204
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Personally, I find WiFi without a browser to be useless. It's good for the company by being tied in to their bookstore, but I'm quite content to sideload all of my content.
definitly not useless. I wish it included the browser for wifi areas that require an "I agree" but I guess you can sideload any books as a work around if need be.

Also it's not about being tired into their bookstore per say. You can log into any Att wifi hotspot, seamlessly or any home or other network.

But connecting to wifi spots that you do connect to on a daily basis such as home or work or friends. Nothing beats shopping wirelessly either by a computer or through the device. And by the looks of the shopping application on the new nook, it appears to be similiar to the one on the nook color which is just fantastic.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 09:54 AM   #205
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
Quote:
The main benefit to 3g and to a lesser extent wifi for me is synching of my page since I tend to read on my kindle, phone and ipad.

As far as this new nook, I think the main thing I like about it is that they have still included page turn buttons, it saves you from getting fingerprints on the screen for the more frequently used actions.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 09:57 AM   #206
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
I don't know what Sony can do to compete. They are no longer the only touchscreen. They are no longer one of two companies with the Pearl screen. They don't seem to want to offer WiFi on all of their devices.

If Sony wants to compete it is going to have to drop its prices and probably add WiFi across the board. It cannot justify the price difference between its devices, the new Kobo, and the new Nook based on a more sturdy casing.

Maybe an announcement of color e-ink or something similar to e-ink with color could save Sony.

Sony just seems like they have given up in the US market, I don't know how they are marketed overseas in Eurpoe and Asia but I'm willing to bet 7 out of 10 average people on the street don't even know Sony makes ereaders .

On top of that they price them extremely high and have the worst bookstore platform out of the the 4 ebookstore . (BN, Amazon, Kobo and Sony)

Just plain odd. They make good looking devices, they really hit their mark with 3 6 and 950 series but you would never know nor why would pay such a high price tag, especially if you just a general reader who doens't need some of the extra PDF type of capabilities.

Last edited by boswd; 05-25-2011 at 09:59 AM.
Old 05-25-2011, 10:00 AM   #207
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
I don't quite find it completely useless, but it's not a big feature going towards my decision to buy since I can't pull up the browser and download books from my DropBox or other places (from what I've read the Nook Classics browser didn't allow downloads though so...).
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 10:03 AM   #208
boswd
Banned

Quote:

rubbermaid always has felt soo good in the hands, like I could carry it all day

but so far the Mainstream tech sites have all called the new nook sexy and like the look and form factor

Molly Wood (who I just love) at Cnets Buzz out Loud called it a sexy thing

BGR said they were very impressed with the design and look of the new nook.

Engadget called also called it a Sexy device.

be interesting once these come to the stores to see how this feels in the hand. The curved rubberized back , to me at least, looks comfortable, a place for your fingers to naturally curl in, in a holding position.

Last edited by boswd; 05-25-2011 at 10:15 AM.
Old 05-25-2011, 10:09 AM   #209
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Although I personally agree with Tubemonkey on the wifi issue, I guess with the synching and the social features that are (apparently) important to some, wifi is slightly more than one-trick pony even with out a browser, but certainly less useful than on a Kindle or even a nook classic.

By the way, I have no objection to a reader that is only a reader.
I only objected to detayls' snooty and insultingly dismissive comment about it.
In a thread intended to discuss the details of what a brand-spanking new device is or is not, it read as presumptuous at best.

Last edited by ApK; 05-25-2011 at 10:15 AM.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 10:18 AM   #210
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Comparing the specs between the three.

Kobo 6.5 x 4.5 x 0.4 / weight 7.04 oz / 1G storage / 2 fonts with 15 sizes

Nook Touch 6.5 x 5.0 x 0.47 / weight 7.48 oz / 1G storage / 6 fonts with 7 sizes

Kindle 7.5 x 4.8 x 0.335 / weight 8.5 oz / 3G storage / 3 fonts with 8 sizes

As for battery life: Kobo says 10 days or 10,000 page turns. Both Nook Touch and Kindle say two months with 30 mins of reading time per day.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote