Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Reading and Management

Notices

Old 10-06-2010, 10:44 AM   #1
LGN
Connoisseur
LGN is on a distinguished road

Device: ProMedia eReader, Sony PRS-600
Emulate eReader look

is there a reader application that kind of 'emulates' the look about how a book will look on an ereader? (Without the need to check ereaders and with presets for different eReaders)

This way I could check and tweak the look without putting it on my eReader and also can check and compare on other eReaders I don't have.

Okok, maybe iPad excluded
LGN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 02:21 PM   #2
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LGN View Post
is there a reader application that kind of 'emulates' the look about how a book will look on an ereader? (Without the need to check ereaders and with presets for different eReaders)

This way I could check and tweak the look without putting it on my eReader and also can check and compare on other eReaders I don't have.

Okok, maybe iPad excluded
You could take the e-book viewer in calibre and drag the screen to the same size an e-book reader has. I would think you could do the same with other e-book reading programs.
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-06-2010, 03:28 PM   #3
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Try this:

Quote:
Download Kindle Previewer 1.5
Kindle Previewer is a tool that emulates how books display on Kindle devices and applications. Kindle Previewer makes it easy to preview the layout of a book and make sure its text displays properly for any orientation or font size. This tool is recommended for publishers, eBook conversion companies, and individual authors in combination with KindleGen to produce the highest quality Kindle books. It is available for both Windows and Mac OS X platforms.
From posts on the Amazon DTP boards, the previewer for the nook is the same or very similar software. I'm not sure what is available for other readers.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 07:07 PM   #4
LGN
Connoisseur
LGN is on a distinguished road

Device: ProMedia eReader, Sony PRS-600
@Lady Fitzgerald: I'm not sure if that would be the best solution. I mainly came to this because the fact that Calibre for example offers different convert profiles for different readers giving the impression it makes some difference. I should read up on that.

@daffy4u: Great suggestion but being ePub focussed the Kindle falls outside my Euroean focus. I don't know about the Nook, does it support ePub?

The mobi format is popular in the USA, but in Europe and Asia ePub has become the official standard. And due to Amazon not allowing other DRM providers next to theirs most European eBookshops seem to all have dropped support for mobi, focussing on ePub. (I hate format wars, and this seems more to be transformed into a kind of Geo-restricion)
LGN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 07:09 PM   #5
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
The nook does support ePub.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-06-2010, 07:34 PM   #6
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
The Sony Book reader for a PC does simulate the size of the page.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote