Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-03-2014, 06:50 AM   #16
*Carly*
*Carly* began at the beginning.

Device: Sony
Sorry guys, I forgot to give an update! In the end I decided only the 650 would do and I managed to get a second hand one in great condition from eBay for £45, bundled with the cable, wall charger and a cover (though not the Sony one sadly)! I just put my SD card in and it was all ready to go and exactly like my old one. Really glad I made the decision to stick with the 650, nothing compares to it and I'm not a fan of change lol! Thanks for all the help and advice.
*Carly* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 07:47 AM   #17
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
You say "nothing compares to it". May I ask what other devices you've actually tried? There have been an awful lot of improvements since the days of the 650. It was an excellent reader in its day, but that day was a long time ago now.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 06:17 PM   #18
pmcnz
Enthusiast
pmcnz can read ebooks with the screen turned offpmcnz can read ebooks with the screen turned offpmcnz can read ebooks with the screen turned offpmcnz can read ebooks with the screen turned offpmcnz can read ebooks with the screen turned offpmcnz can read ebooks with the screen turned offpmcnz can read ebooks with the screen turned offpmcnz can read ebooks with the screen turned offpmcnz can read ebooks with the screen turned offpmcnz can read ebooks with the screen turned offpmcnz can read ebooks with the screen turned off

Device: PRS-650, Kindle DXG
Proposal: Sony PRS 650 can still be "up to date"

Hi,
I'll put forward the view that a Sony PRS 650 can still be a "current" ereader.
I thought my reliable PRS650 was lacking in functionality when I compared it to the Kobo Aura HD.
I checked out and then installed the latest version of PRSplus+ software on it. This was great as I could now get the Aura HD functionality I liked on the PRS650 :
* Modify line spacing to a fine degree
* Have a greater number of text sizes between smallest and largest
* Modify the page margins

I could already load in the fonts of my choice but I also searched for and installed the American Print House for the partially sighted font so now the PRS650 is very easy to read (as I'm over 60 and my eyesight is tired).
The only catch is that the documentation for PRSplus+ is not very clear or detailed, so configuring the above functions required some experimentation.

Cheers
Paul
pmcnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 06:51 PM   #19
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
The 650 with prs+ is definitely still a great reader, especially for those with no interest in anything with wireless capability.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 05:27 PM   #20
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Have to agree that the 650 is still a great reader. I recently purchased a Kindle PW2, and right now am doing most of my reading on that. But, the 650/350's that I own still get used. And as mentioned above PRS+ adds so much more functionality to the Sonys!
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 06:17 PM   #21
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
I don't think e-readers have improved much since the 650. The main drawback is the lack of wifi. A front-light is debatable. A lot of people still prefer a clip-on light. Screen def is more than adequate on the 650 and it's pearl like most e-readers and the new carta screens look the same to the eye. Nah. E-readers haven't improved much if at all since the 650. The biggest advantage I can see in a newer reader is the font customization in the Kobo's, and that is just software and can be done on the 650 with a bit of know-how.

Personally I use a Nook ST (rooted) which I like, but I used a 650 before that. You might want to grab a cheap Nook ST as a back up for the day your 'new' 650 breaks.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 07:10 AM   #22
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Quote:
Originally Posted by dordale View Post
Have to agree that the 650 is still a great reader. I recently purchased a Kindle PW2, and right now am doing most of my reading on that. But, the 650/350's that I own still get used. And as mentioned above PRS+ adds so much more functionality to the Sonys!
The more I read on my PW the more I appreciate that things have moved on bit. It just feels light years ahead of the 350 in terms of how the screen looks, the general speed and how responsive the touch screen is. I do still like my 350 (and most certainly don't plan on getting rid of it), and I think the 350/650 is a stand-out range of ereader, but it certainly feels its age when I read on it after using my PW.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 03:56 PM   #23
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by l_macd View Post
The more I read on my PW the more I appreciate that things have moved on bit. It just feels light years ahead of the 350 in terms of how the screen looks, the general speed and how responsive the touch screen is. I do still like my 350 (and most certainly don't plan on getting rid of it), and I think the 350/650 is a stand-out range of ereader, but it certainly feels its age when I read on it after using my PW.
I think you've captured my feelings pretty well too. In fact I have both my 350 and my PW with me today--with the same book loaded on each of them--just experimenting. Interesting, thing even though the 350 is a 5" screen and the PW has a 6" screen, I can fit almost as much text on a page at a comfortable reading font size--because of the enforced margins on the PW. On the other hand, as you point out, the PW is speedier and more responsive than the 350. I do like the page turn buttons on the Sonys and probably use them about 50% of the time--so, also miss those on the PW.
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote