Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-31-2013, 02:38 PM   #91
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
People keep saying that the resolution on the PW isn't as good as on the K3, but I find the two to be basically the same, and I love the front light, which I use even in well-lit circumstances (although I must admit that I usually don't read under well-lit circumstances. The reading light over my side of the bed is broken,and illuminates the wall better than it does my book.)
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 02:52 PM   #92
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
People keep saying that the resolution on the PW isn't as good as on the K3, but I find the two to be basically the same, and I love the front light, which I use even in well-lit circumstances (although I must admit that I usually don't read under well-lit circumstances. The reading light over my side of the bed is broken,and illuminates the wall better than it does my book.)
I find the Resolution on prior Kindles horrible now I'm use to the PW. The text looks awful now to me. I prefer the PW's text which is very clear and easy to read.

It's like switching from a CRT to LCD monitor. It's just a huge difference!
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 03:14 PM   #93
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddos View Post
So, a Nook with Glowlight? It's not the fancy high res screen, and the light is a bit bluer than the KPW, but in a side-by-side comparison between my Nook Glow and my wife's Kindle Paperweight...
Is that what you really think of it?
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 04:16 PM   #94
toddos
Guru
toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Nokia Lumia 920 (Freda)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookeysgirl View Post
Is that what you really think of it?
Well, I am a Nook kind of guy. The PaperWhite is really nice, I just can't believe they chose that name for it since it's so close to "paperweight".
toddos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 04:20 PM   #95
toddos
Guru
toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Nokia Lumia 920 (Freda)
Quote:
I don't think anybody's saying the resolution is worse (it's demonstrably not -- 600x800 for the old Kindles vs 768x1024 for the new). What people seem to have complaints about is the capacitive touch layer on the screen adding a bit of fuzziness. This is why I like the last generation's IR-based touch. No extra layer on the screen, at the cost of taller bezels (but that's also good, because it means the screen is recessed more and thus more protected from damage). However, to my eyes, I can't really see any noticeable difference between my old Nook STR, my wife's old K3, my new Nook Glow, and my wife's new KPW. The KPW is certainly no worse, though it's maybe not as good as the extra resolution would make you think it would be.
toddos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 04:32 PM   #96
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
No, I don't think I would. The light just transforms the experience of reading - I can now read in all sorts of dimly-lit places that I couldn't have done previously.
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
Nope! I have a desk drawer full of reading lights - none of which ever worked to completely & evenly illuminate an eInk screen of any size. The PW is simply too good as it is to ever contemplate going back to a non-front-lit screen.

I would kill/pay a lot for a front-lit eInk reader the size of the Kindle DX!
to both. I always preferred eInk screens because they allow for reading in bright sunlight as well as indoors, but these frontlit screens allow for reading under all conditions; although—full disclosure here—I haven't yet tried them underwater.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 05:01 PM   #97
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
I'm very curious about this.

I now have two front-lit e-ink devices (Kindlewhite and Kobok Glo) and I'm so happy with the technology, that I don't see myself ever buying another e-ink reader that does NOT have this as part of the built-in technology. My thinking is: It can only get better.
Same. I wouldn't buy an ereader without this function anymore. If the Touch was not updated to include the paperwhite functions, and the paperwhite didn't have a light (so it would be a "New Touch"), then I wouldn't have upgraded to the paperwhite. I'd now have a Glo.

I got so used to read using the light, that I find a lightless e-reader annoying. Hell, I'm even starting to find books annoying as I actually need to move to a place with enough light (And the ereader has a better "print" than most paperbacks.)

Non-lighted readers will eventually go extinct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddos View Post
Well, I am a Nook kind of guy. The PaperWhite is really nice, I just can't believe they chose that name for it since it's so close to "paperweight".
"Nook" is not the best of names either, as it's very close to the slang word that starts the same, and ends on "ie"

Last edited by Katsunami; 01-31-2013 at 05:38 PM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 05:44 PM   #98
BWinmill
Nameless Being

I looked at a Kobo Glo, in person, but didn't feel the urge to jump for one. The reason is simple enough: I usually read during the day or on transit, so there are more important things to me than a front light. Cost, size, durability, and weight are the overriding considerations when it comes to selecting hardware. Software features enter the mix too: it has to support ePubs, support USB mass media, and provide a reliable reader.

If an ereader with front light met all of my quantifiable and qualitative criteria, then I would buy it. Yet it is very unlikely that I would spend an extra $20 just to have that feature over an otherwise comparable model.
Old 01-31-2013, 07:52 PM   #99
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Before I bought a front-lit e-reader I thought I would only use the light during power cuts or when camping, but now I consider it an essential feature, wouldn't even consider buying an e-reader without one.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 12:07 AM   #100
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
I would not.
When BN brought the first lit Nook to the market, I thought it was such nonsense!

I only bought the PW because of the paperwhite screen I saw in the Amazon event coverage and TV ads (yeah, and how true that feature was!), the higher screen resolution and cover view, and the paper-like surface.

Time to read was an unexpected bonus that I would not want to miss any more, as is the frontlight in combination with the auto wake cover.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 02:20 AM   #101
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
..."Nook" is not the best of names either, as it's very close to the slang word that starts the same, and ends on "ie"
That would explain the strange looks some elderly ladies gave me in our local Barnes & Noble when I asked the clerk about their Nook eBooks.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 02:34 AM   #102
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
The PW has a higher resolution than the K3. I've never heard anyone say even once, let alone "keep saying", that the PW has a lower resolution, and if anyone were to say that, it would be demonstrably untrue.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 05:48 AM   #103
Begemot
Zealot
Begemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Sony DPT-S1, Kindle DX, iPad, Kobo Mini,H20,iRiver StoryHD
Yes, but I do not own a PW, as I generally read where there is good ambient lighting.

I would absolutely consider buying a nice e-ink device without front light even. I would much rather have a larger screen size(I want to see 12 inch e-ink device outside from prototypes, but would settle for a sufficiently powerful 9.7) than front light.

Then again, I must be an edge case, as the market is pretty much all about 6 inch devices these days.

In my childhood it was considered to be a bad for your eyes to only have light hit the book and nothing else.

Frankly, I would be scared to use to use something like PW in a dark room for a prolonged period of time.
Begemot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:30 AM   #104
MrDoug
Banned
MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad - Kobo Glo - Nook Glo - Samsung Galaxy Note II
Quote:
I had K3 with the lighted case and thoroughly enjoyed it at the time. Then, when I picked up my Paperwhite and Kobo Glo, it was like a moment of revelation.

Have you had a chance to test a Paperwhite (with a friend or in a low-light situation)? I think you'll be truly amazed...I hope.

Don
Yes, I Love my Kobo Glo. Sweet!!
MrDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:50 AM   #105
Yolina
Wizard
Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage
Quote:

Would you ever buy another e-ink device that does not have this front-lit capability?

Absolutely, yes

Got my PW yesterday and not that impressed TBH, so giving it a few days but I might just send it back and stick with the K3.
Yolina is offline   Reply With Quote