Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-02-2010, 06:59 AM   #1
Noosahead
Noosahead began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Kindle book prices compared..... US & UK accounts

Hello,
It would appear that there are quite large differences in the prices being charged for Kindle books depending on the geographic location of the account.
If one were to buy all 17 of the 25 current US bestsellers which are available to both US & UK account holders then the price would be:

$161.71 for US customers
and
$139.44 for UK customers

This is a price difference of 14%.

Of course this comparison may not be representative and the range and number of books currently on offer in the US is considerably larger than in the UK.

Account holders in continental Europe, by the way, pay considerably more than UK account holders.
Noosahead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 07:39 AM   #2
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
So, based on your sample, books are actually cheaper in the UK. That's slightly surprising, given how often we hear complaints in this forum and elsewhere that suggests the opposite. Very interesting.
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 07:43 AM   #3
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
That this take in consideration UK's VAT?
Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 08:03 AM   #4
digiridan
Enthusiast
digiridan is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.digiridan is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.digiridan is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.digiridan is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.digiridan is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.digiridan is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.digiridan is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.digiridan is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.digiridan is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.digiridan is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.digiridan is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3, Thinkpad Tablet
This just makes me sad...

Is there any way to avoid it?
digiridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 08:24 AM   #5
Grumpyreader
Connoisseur
Grumpyreader got an A in P-Chem.Grumpyreader got an A in P-Chem.Grumpyreader got an A in P-Chem.Grumpyreader got an A in P-Chem.Grumpyreader got an A in P-Chem.Grumpyreader got an A in P-Chem.Grumpyreader got an A in P-Chem.Grumpyreader got an A in P-Chem.Grumpyreader got an A in P-Chem.Grumpyreader got an A in P-Chem.Grumpyreader got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Sony PRS505, Kindle 2 Int.
Gotta love the RPC's ruling on the Net Book Agreement!

It'll be interesting to see whether the publishers try their "we're not selling a book, we're selling a license" argument when Amazon's UK bookstore opens in order to try to fix prices here too.

Over the past few weeks I've noticed that the gap between the number of books (or the ones I want to buy anyway) available in the US compared to the UK is narrowing and that the price gap is widening.

For example, I bought an ebook from Amazon yesterday. Amazon is selling it to UK Kindle owners for $5.80 and to US Kindle owners for $9.99 (with the usual disclaimer about the price being set by the publisher). WH Smith were selling it for $8.21.
Grumpyreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 09:06 AM   #6
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Sounds like I need to take a wee trip to the UK .... virtually, of course.
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 10:14 AM   #7
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Quote:
Originally Posted by digiridan View Post
This just makes me sad...

I want to know how you get the cute little pull-down to check various countries. Mine only shows my current country, hard-coded. To change it (and prices, check restrictions, etc), I have to create a new shipping address and assign in on the Manage My Kindle page .. then switch to it, find the original item; rinse, repeat.

Having that little pulldown would be much more convenient, for some things.
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 10:29 AM   #8
digiridan
Enthusiast
digiridan is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.digiridan is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.digiridan is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.digiridan is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.digiridan is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.digiridan is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.digiridan is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.digiridan is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.digiridan is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.digiridan is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.digiridan is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3, Thinkpad Tablet
I accidentally opened amazon.com with Internet Explorer (my default browser is Firefox), and there was that cute little pull-down menu
digiridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 12:22 PM   #9
Grumpyreader
Connoisseur
Grumpyreader got an A in P-Chem.Grumpyreader got an A in P-Chem.Grumpyreader got an A in P-Chem.Grumpyreader got an A in P-Chem.Grumpyreader got an A in P-Chem.Grumpyreader got an A in P-Chem.Grumpyreader got an A in P-Chem.Grumpyreader got an A in P-Chem.Grumpyreader got an A in P-Chem.Grumpyreader got an A in P-Chem.Grumpyreader got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Sony PRS505, Kindle 2 Int.
Interesting. I'm outside the US, have only one address attached to my Amazon account (non-US) and it lets me see the menu.

If I search for a particular book it tells me whether I'm allowed it or not. But if I search generally or just go to the Kindle books page, it gives me the menu.
Grumpyreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 05:38 PM   #10
wesleyer
Connoisseur
wesleyer will become famous soon enoughwesleyer will become famous soon enoughwesleyer will become famous soon enoughwesleyer will become famous soon enoughwesleyer will become famous soon enoughwesleyer will become famous soon enough

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by koland View Post
I want to know how you get the cute little pull-down to check various countries. Mine only shows my current country, hard-coded. To change it (and prices, check restrictions, etc), I have to create a new shipping address and assign in on the Manage My Kindle page .. then switch to it, find the original item; rinse, repeat.

Having that little pulldown would be much more convenient, for some things.
To get the pulldown, log out of your Amazon.com account by clicking the "(Not Your Name)" link at the top of the page.

After logging out from the site, simply select "Kindle Store" from the home page and then will have the pulldown and be able to quickly change regions.
wesleyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 03:42 AM   #11
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
The Kindle 3 wifi is selling at 110 pounds in UK which equates to $175USD, but in the US Amazon store sells at $139. What is with that pricing! Someone is making extra money somewhere.
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 04:08 AM   #12
suecsi
Rock Chick
suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Kindle 2i, Kindle DX, Kindle 3G
+17.5% VAT would make $163 so not not far off. Plus there are probably import taxes when they are bought in, even to a UK based warehouse.
suecsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 05:55 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
There's been a pretty significant rise in the value of the Pound against the US Dollar over the last couple of weeks. That probably accounts for at least some of the apparent difference.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 08:21 PM   #14
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
There's been a pretty significant rise in the value of the Pound against the US Dollar over the last couple of weeks. That probably accounts for at least some of the apparent difference.
Thats why sometimes it works to pay things in USD - you get the benefit of strengthening prices in your own currency against the USD. Australia is doing better at the moment, but in May this year it dropped 10 cents (10%) in a week! Now it is back again.
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote