Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-02-2010, 01:26 AM   #1
Bander
Bander began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-900
Get in line for Kindle 3

Temporarily sold out. If you want one, Que up. I just ordered one and
I tell ya it's the herd mentality. I may cancel and keep my Sony.

John
Bander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 02:28 AM   #2
matt314159
Groupie
matt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheese

Device: KSO, NookColor (CM7.1), Samsung Mesmerize
with the pearl screen, the wait will be worth it. Just on a lark, though, tonight I picked up a used Kindle 2 on eBay for $100 with free shipping. I just got it to have something to play with in the meantime, but right now would probably be a great time to pick up the k2 on the cheap if you don't feel like you need all the features of the k3.
matt314159 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-02-2010, 08:38 AM   #3
tovare
Addict
tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-600, Kindle kb Wifi, new Kindle NT, PW2, Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bander View Post

John
Apparently there is a risk of a massive 1 week delay for anyone who didn't order allready ;-) Time to panic.
tovare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 09:12 AM   #4
rapidblue
Connoisseur
rapidblue began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3 / Kindle Voyage / Kindle Touch
Wow, already sold out their first shipment! That was fast!!
rapidblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 09:34 AM   #5
amjbrown
Addict
amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle app on the iPhone
Quote:

John
I only ordered mine because I knew this would happen! Glad I did though.

Probably going to get my eldest one for Christmas. Want to see mine first - I wonder what the latest ordering time to get Christmas stock is?!

This is going to be huge.

amjb
amjbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-02-2010, 09:40 AM   #6
rapidblue
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by amjbrown View Post
I only ordered mine because I knew this would happen! Glad I did though.

Probably going to get my eldest one for Christmas. Want to see mine first - I wonder what the latest ordering time to get Christmas stock is?!

This is going to be huge.

amjb
Going to be huge? Already huge
Old 08-02-2010, 09:40 AM   #7
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
The K2 did not sell out during its run with Amazon so the demand for the K3 has got to be much larger then what Amazon was expecting. Hopefully they will get the estimates right for the Holiday season.

This is a good sign for ereaders in general. They are catching on with a larger segment of the population. Here is hoping that this translates to more ebooks and better ebook prices.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 09:56 AM   #8
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Really ??

Quote:

John
My order for the Kindle LG WiFi says this:

"Delivery estimate: We need a little more time to provide you with a good estimate. We'll notify you via e-mail as soon as we have an estimated delivery date. You can cancel at any time."

The cover shows an Aug 31, 2010 shipment date.

I ordered both with no shipping charge since I am in no hurry to get it. I have a Sony PRS 900 for my current reading needs and read my books mostly online anyway. I just wanted to have some way to read the Kindle versions of books away from my home.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 10:02 AM   #9
rapidblue
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
The K2 did not sell out during its run with Amazon so the demand for the K3 has got to be much larger then what Amazon was expecting. Hopefully they will get the estimates right for the Holiday season.

This is a good sign for ereaders in general. They are catching on with a larger segment of the population. Here is hoping that this translates to more ebooks and better ebook prices.
I think the real turning point was when Amazon announced that they were selling more Kindle books than harcovers. That was when we could easily assume that e-books are here to stay!
The Kindle 3's demand is proof once again
Old 08-02-2010, 12:32 PM   #10
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by tovare View Post
Apparently there is a risk of a massive 1 week delay for anyone who didn't order allready ;-) Time to panic.
That suggests that Amazon must have stored away some K3s at non-shipping locations, or perhaps had an agreement with the manufaturer to only send "X" number for the Aug 27 release and another group about a week later when the dust began to settle. Or perhaps they are having to ship USA orders out of batches that had originally been designated for other markets and thus were pre-stationed farther away.

Whatever the cause, I doubt they could have a new batch produced from scratch in a mere week. This sounds more like a supply-line issue. But it is only a week, so no big deal. I'm glad i ordered mine on the first day of ordering.

At any rate it means they are selling very well. I wonder if we will get any hard numbers of sells. I agree with those who are saying this can be a turning point for ebooks in general. If the Amazon sells a few million K3s in the next several months the publishing houses will have to take notice.
Old 08-02-2010, 01:00 PM   #11
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I think that they had a shipment set aside from Target that will be delayed. Ajax posted in another forum that the K3 was suppose to debut in target in early September. A September 4 release date would match that piece of info.

I do so wish that Amazon would release the number sold in the first month like Apple did because I think it is going to be really, really large and would help to stop the silly ereaders are dead because of the iPad BS.
Old 08-02-2010, 02:05 PM   #12
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:

I'm betting they're getting a lot of Kindle owners upgrading in addition to new interest. The original Kindle came out almost three years ago. With a new, better screen, I'm sure I'm not the only one who decided it was time. The K2 had some interesting features but it wasn't enough for me to justify it when my old Kindle was still just fine. From what I've read here, I'm not alone. Now my battery life is getting shorter and the big button on the right has sustained cat-related damage. I don't feel wasteful buying a new one where I would have getting the K2 just one year in. Besides, I'm sure I can find someone who wouldn't mind the old one.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 02:18 PM   #13
zetareticuli
Addict
zetareticuli doesn't litterzetareticuli doesn't litterzetareticuli doesn't litter

Device: Aztak Mentor
On the plus side, there is a lot to be said in favor of not buying a product during its initial launch, even if the product is an upgrade to an existing one. That gives you time to read reviews of other people who already got theirs before you go ahead and buy yours. You could find that it isn't at all what you expected.
zetareticuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 02:33 PM   #14
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetareticuli View Post
On the plus side, there is a lot to be said in favor of not buying a product during its initial launch, even if the product is an upgrade to an existing one. That gives you time to read reviews of other people who already got theirs before you go ahead and buy yours. You could find that it isn't at all what you expected.

That is the nice thing about Amazon's 30 return policy. You can buy the K3, try it for 30 days, and if you decide you don't like it just send it back.
Old 08-02-2010, 02:38 PM   #15
rapidblue
Connoisseur

Quote:
That is the nice thing about Amazon's 30 return policy. You can buy the K3, try it for 30 days, and if you decide you don't like it just send it back.
And I don't think there will be many ppl sending them back - the K3 is sooooo gonna rock