Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 02-03-2012, 01:52 AM   #1
thoreau
Enthusiast
thoreau solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.thoreau solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.thoreau solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.thoreau solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.thoreau solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.thoreau solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.thoreau solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.thoreau solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.thoreau solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.thoreau solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.thoreau solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: KOA
No Settings after root

So I installed the minimal root so that I could easily install the Morkl packages (I'm on a mac, therefore cannot run .exe installers), but I have no SYSTEM SETTINGS option on the sony homescreen to modify any of the root options. Where do I find this?

I know the root has been successful because when I launch a book, it asks me what reader I would like to use. Otherwise, I can't tell any differences.

Also, how do I modify the XML file to change the default buttons on the sony homescreen? I cannot find the file while browsing the Reader from my Mac. Is there a utility that I need? Can it be done on the reader itself?

I want to put dropbox on there, remove the reader store, etc. I have dropbox installed, but currently have no way to launch it.

I removed the ADW launcher before performing the root, because I'm just not interested in having something different than the stock (albeit modified) launcher.

Help please; and thank you for helping out a newbie!
thoreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 08:19 PM   #2
snarkophilus
Wannabe Connoisseur
snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura 2, Sony PRS-T1, Sony PRS-350, Palm TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by thoreau View Post
So I installed the minimal root so that I could easily install the Morkl packages (I'm on a mac, therefore cannot run .exe installers), but I have no SYSTEM SETTINGS option on the sony homescreen to modify any of the root options. Where do I find this?

I know the root has been successful because when I launch a book, it asks me what reader I would like to use. Otherwise, I can't tell any differences.
That in itself means that you have an alternate application that can open epub files, not necessarily that you have rooted your reader.

The default Sony home screen app has no option to change what it can launch and the system settings aren't in Sony's app - only the Sony settings. You need to use ADW or Morkl's home screen app if you want to launch something different.

Quote:
Also, how do I modify the XML file to change the default buttons on the sony homescreen? I cannot find the file while browsing the Reader from my Mac. Is there a utility that I need? Can it be done on the reader itself?
Are you talking about the Sony home screen app or Morkl's modified version of the same? The Sony home screen app has no XML file, and Morkl's version includes a directory that you need to copy to your reader (as detailed in the readme file that comes with Morkl's download).

There are text editors available for Android - you could edit it on the device itself with one of these, but I'd think it'd be much easier to edit the XML file while it's connected to your Mac.

Quote:
I want to put dropbox on there, remove the reader store, etc. I have dropbox installed, but currently have no way to launch it.

I removed the ADW launcher before performing the root, because I'm just not interested in having something different than the stock (albeit modified) launcher.
As above, you need to either keep ADW or have installed Morkl's home screen app. You've removed the method you can do this by! I suspect, but don't know for sure, that you could probably just re-root and leave ADW around.

If you want a useable rooted device, you really should leave ADW (or install Morkl's home app first). You don't have to delete ADW - you can tick the checkbox that says "Use by default for this action" when you press the home button, then choose Morkl's home screen app.

Cheers,
Simon.
snarkophilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert