Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-01-2009, 07:32 PM   #46
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
5 inch is measured diagonally

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
Strange since that will not fit a wallet.

You need 4.2" for a 5" reader.
Dear All:

Before we all forever get embroiled in jackets and sweaters and such... the screen on any eBook Reader is measured diagonally. This goes back to the days of the 9 inch RCA Victor TV in 1946. I still own one and it still works with original picture tube.

I think what is meant is that it will fit handily in a sport coat or suit inside (chest) pocket. Someone somewhere believes all men run around all day and night in sport coats. It will also fit easily in your jeans upfront pockets. You cannot put it in your back pockets as you would crack the screen when you sit down.
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 08:32 PM   #47
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Actually I measured the width & heigth on a piece of paper. The stated width is almost exactly the same as a paperback book. I'm sure those measurements are without the cover but it should fit (tightly) in a man's dress shirt or jacket (either sports jacket or cold weather jacket) pocket. So it should fit easier in a flannel shirt pocket.

And Bob, even in the front pocket of jeans, I wouldn't sit with it in the pocket for fear iit would break the screen.

BTW, since I've retired, I typically wear T-shirts with a breast pocket. The t-shirt material is stretchy so it should fit that pocket as well (maybe even with the cover). I'll see when I get mine.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-01-2009, 08:45 PM   #48
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
my only concern is with the location of the page turn buttons. They do seem a bit higher up the side than most. I'll have to grab a pbook and see how it fits. Well, maybe the first 50 pages or so to compare the thickness more closely.

It is a nice looking device, too bad it uses the same mediocre eink as everyone else.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 08:47 PM   #49
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by brecklundin View Post
my only concern is with the location of the page turn buttons. They do seem a bit higher up the side than most. I'll have to grab a pbook and see how it fits. Well, maybe the first 50 pages or so to compare the thickness more closely.

It is a nice looking device, too bad it uses the same mediocre eink as everyone else.
Ah, but the new controller makes it better. Buy it for the pen, not the ink.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 08:49 PM   #50
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Ah, but the new controller makes it better. Buy it for the pen, not the ink.

Dale
It has nothing to do with the controller...it is the background that does not cut it for my eyes. I have used a 505 and tried a neighbor's K2 and they are no different in that area as my K1...somewhat murky...
Advert
Old 06-02-2009, 12:24 AM   #51
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brecklundin View Post
It has nothing to do with the controller...it is the background that does not cut it for my eyes. I have used a 505 and tried a neighbor's K2 and they are no different in that area as my K1...somewhat murky...
It was a small joke I was making but never the less the controller will perhaps improve the contrast a bit but is unlikely to do anything about the background. However, we has not seen production models of the 5" device (although I have seen a prototype) so we really don't know what the higher resolution screen will look like. It is a different 200 ppi E-Ink device. Perhaps you will like it better.

Dale
Old 06-02-2009, 12:31 AM   #52
griffonwing
Suave Swabby, Savvy?
griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Slate Blue PEZ (Astak Pocket Pro), CVSCX-9300 Quad-band watch phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertb View Post
Dear All:

I think what is meant is that it will fit handily in a sport coat or suit inside (chest) pocket. Someone somewhere believes all men run around all day and night in sport coats. It will also fit easily in your jeans upfront pockets.
I do. I have a nice corduroy blazer I wear everywhere. I own about 2 dozen blazers and a dozen fedoras, from charcoal grey to tweed, and even a leather porkpie hat. Top that with a pipe (Always have one in my pocket), and I could easily step back ito the 30s.

Although, I do not own a trucker/baseball cap (they are caps, not hats).

SO this 5-inch will find a permanent place no matter what blazer I decide to put on.
griffonwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 01:37 AM   #53
brecklundin
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
It was a small joke I was making but never the less the controller will perhaps improve the contrast a bit but is unlikely to do anything about the background. However, we has not seen production models of the 5" device (although I have seen a prototype) so we really don't know what the higher resolution screen will look like. It is a different 200 ppi E-Ink device. Perhaps you will like it better.

Dale
hahahaha...I was wondering if you were being facetious....but I did not want to be dismissive of your offering a helpful suggestion. If it helps...I did giggle, but then thought, "...what if he means it..." d'oh!!!

I might like it better since there was a thread a while back which discussed the contrast issue and that certain fonts gave the look of more contrast, even if there really wasn't a change. It seemed that the font and how the controller/OS renders it can have a significant affect on the perceived contrast.

I am hopeful something will change along the way. Whoever makes that happen is going to be veeeeery popular. Of course with our luck, their UI will be just awful...

My meaning right now is a device using the Pixel Qi display as a large format reader & multi-purpose device (I have an unlimited bandwidth 3G service, yup no bandwidth cap, and have a USB dongle so I can get the most out of use from either a convertible or a slate style device. To go with that I would like a 5" eink reader to drag around with me. The price is not yet where I am ready to say it's fine and I can just live with it, not when I already have perfectly serviceable small format devices in the nx73v and N800.

Anyway, thanks for the light hearted comment earlier, as I wrote, I did sense it was slightly tongue in cheek but laced with some facts as well...nicely done!
Old 07-27-2009, 10:49 AM   #54
hpkeong
Heavy eBook User
hpkeong began at the beginning.

Device: Hanlin V8, V3, Fujitsu Tablet PC, EEE PC
V5 is almost similar to V3; smaller size means less rows and more pages (in total); pdf 5x zooming works excellently for pdf ebook (which used to have pretty small fonts). For Chinese reader, TTS is an added value for those kids who have just started learning reading. 3 ways page turning is also an added points for left-handed holder. Faster Speed means faster retrieval of ebooks from SD card. Setback - the pouch / holder is not attractive nor durable (guess so). Anyway, overall it is cute and light-weight (about half of V3)
hpkeong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 11:00 AM   #55
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpkeong View Post
V5 is almost similar to V3; smaller size means less rows and more pages (in total); pdf 5x zooming works excellently for pdf ebook (which used to have pretty small fonts). For Chinese reader, TTS is an added value for those kids who have just started learning reading. 3 ways page turning is also an added points for left-handed holder. Faster Speed means faster retrieval of ebooks from SD card. Setback - the pouch / holder is not attractive nor durable (guess so). Anyway, overall it is cute and light-weight (about half of V3)
The V3 and V5 have exactly the same resolution in pixels so there should be exactly the same rows and exactly the same pages so long as you are willing to see the text a bit smaller. Weight is 5.7 oz vs 7.0 oz for the V3 so it is hardly half the weight.

Dale