Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 07-29-2008, 10:41 AM   #61
SurgE
Serial Bricker
SurgE doesn't litterSurgE doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3 KSO
Quote:
Originally Posted by seajewel View Post
for anyone having the problem with font sizes, i just replaced the text font with my font of choice .. the dutch801 font is the body font, btw and it worked. with no other files placed in the FONT folder, the default font is kept for the menu and my font is used in the body text. However, trying to use body+menu font made the cramfs file too big, as did trying to replace only the menu font after having already applied the body font.
I encountered the same problem trying to add chinese fonts support to my Reader. The set of chinese fonts came up to 12mb in total, exceeding the 7mb cap on cramfs file size. My work around is to put the fonts in the /Data directory and mount it over /opt.
SurgE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 10:46 AM   #62
JeffElkins
Guru
JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kobo Clara 2E/HD, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynevans View Post
The menu on the Universal Flasher ("7: switch to firmware update mode") :-)
Oh, I see what you mean. Thanks.
JeffElkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 10:48 AM   #63
seajewel
Fanatic
seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-950
Do this to reflash when you're "up-to-date"

Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
Edit the PRSVersion.dat inside the flasher (unzip it first) and change the last 0 to 1. This will enable reflashing.
seajewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 11:18 AM   #64
seajewel
Fanatic
seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Could you give me more detailed directions on how to do this? I'm not really sure how to go about it and I would really appreciate it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurgE View Post
I encountered the same problem trying to add chinese fonts support to my Reader. The set of chinese fonts came up to 12mb in total, exceeding the 7mb cap on cramfs file size. My work around is to put the fonts in the /Data directory and mount it over /opt.
Old 07-29-2008, 12:09 PM   #65
SurgE
Serial Bricker

Quote:
Originally Posted by seajewel View Post
Could you give me more detailed directions on how to do this? I'm not really sure how to go about it and I would really appreciate it!
No problem, here's how i did it:

Part 1, dealing with the Reader's internal memory:
  1. I created a folder called "Custom" inside my reader's internal memory.
  2. Inside the folder, I have a folder called "FONT"
  3. I placed my custom fonts inside the FONT folder. You MUST put all 3 fonts.
  4. I create a script file(i.e. "custom.sh") inside the "Custom" folder. Inside the folder, I put the following code:
    Code:
    #!/bin/sh
    if [ -d /Data/Custom/FONT ]; then
       mount --bind /Data/Custom/FONT /opt/sony/ebook/FONT
    fi

Once that is done, you need to setup our firmware to execute the "custom.sh" file whenever it boots. you can do this by modifying tinyhttp.sh to run this sh file. Here's my implementation:

Part 2, dealing with the universal flasher(i assume you have it on a memstick)
  1. get a copy of tinyhttp.sh and place it in "files.505.1.1.00.18040\opt\sony\ebook\bin\"
  2. open up the file and add in the following code after the "date" command
    Code:
    mount -t vfat -o rw,shortname=winnt /dev/mtdblock17 /Data
    sh /Data/Custom/custom.sh
  3. Once that's done, you can flash in the files.

This is what I've done, much thanks to all the people on mobileread and hi-pda for their work
Old 07-29-2008, 09:29 PM   #66
seajewel
Fanatic

Thank you very much for the detailed explanation! I also just got a good tip that works for my purposes, since my font is small enough to fit one file into the cramfs image. If your font is around 2100kb or less (this is my experience, but maybe larger fonts work), you can place that one file, say Dutch801 Rm BT (tt0011m_.ttf) into the FONT part of the flasher, and then edit the main.xml file within files.505.1.1.00.18040\opt\sony\ebook\application\ resources\scripts\main.xml and replace all the <style font="...."> with Dutch801 Rm BT instead of Swis721 BT, etc.
Old 07-31-2008, 09:25 AM   #67
OldReader
OldReader began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
1.1 clock

I have the 1.1.00.18040 installed on my PRS-505.

I really miss the Clock, the Off Button, and the Pause control added to the Volume controls that were in the hack for the previous firmware. I can only read English, so I don't need the other languages.

If there is a way to do this now for without loosing the new firmware, could someone show me how?

Think of me (and others of my age group) as an old guy who couldn't hack a banana without detailed instructions.

Sure would be appreciated!

OldReader
OldReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 11:01 AM   #68
seajewel
Fanatic

read the first page of the HACKING CONCLUSIONS AND GUIDE thread. Do what you find there. that will take care of everything but device shutdown from what i recall (it may be the 2nd page, but one or the other).. for device shut down, you have to go to the applicationStart.xml file inside the Universal Flasher under files.505...18040\opt\sony\ebook\application\resou rces and edit that file by notepad or whatever, find the part that looks like this <boolean key="0x27-hold" do="doCentre"/> and change it to <boolean key="0x27-hold" do="doDeviceShutdown"/>.

Then run the flasher. make sure you've done all the things from the other thread and this shutdown method before you run the flasher .

If you need to reflash because you forgot something, unzip the stock updater from sony and edit PRSVersion.dat file to say 1 instead of 0 at the very end so you can re-flash to the stock firmware at anytime.

Last edited by seajewel; 07-31-2008 at 11:16 AM.
Old 07-31-2008, 11:39 AM   #69
SurgE
Serial Bricker

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldReader View Post
I have the 1.1.00.18040 installed on my PRS-505.

I really miss the Clock, the Off Button, and the Pause control added to the Volume controls that were in the hack for the previous firmware. I can only read English, so I don't need the other languages.

If there is a way to do this now for without loosing the new firmware, could someone show me how?

Think of me (and others of my age group) as an old guy who couldn't hack a banana without detailed instructions.

Sure would be appreciated!

OldReader
I remember we do have this utility called hack builder for the 500, which lets u build an img with the hacks u want. You might wanna bug the dev to release an updated version for the 505 :P
Old 02-22-2009, 06:59 AM   #70
pikoman
Enthusiast
pikoman began at the beginning.

Device: prs505, prs700, iriver story
Quote:
Originally Posted by SurgE View Post
No problem, here's how i did it:

Part 1, dealing with the Reader's internal memory:
  1. I created a folder called "Custom" inside my reader's internal memory.
  2. Inside the folder, I have a folder called "FONT"
  3. I placed my custom fonts inside the FONT folder. You MUST put all 3 fonts.
  4. I create a script file(i.e. "custom.sh") inside the "Custom" folder. Inside the folder, I put the following code:
    Code:
    #!/bin/sh
    if [ -d /Data/Custom/FONT ]; then
       mount --bind /Data/Custom/FONT /opt/sony/ebook/FONT
    fi

Once that is done, you need to setup our firmware to execute the "custom.sh" file whenever it boots. you can do this by modifying tinyhttp.sh to run this sh file. Here's my implementation:

Part 2, dealing with the universal flasher(i assume you have it on a memstick)
  1. get a copy of tinyhttp.sh and place it in "files.505.1.1.00.18040\opt\sony\ebook\bin\"
  2. open up the file and add in the following code after the "date" command
    Code:
    mount -t vfat -o rw,shortname=winnt /dev/mtdblock17 /Data
    sh /Data/Custom/custom.sh
  3. Once that's done, you can flash in the files.

This is what I've done, much thanks to all the people on mobileread and hi-pda for their work
Hi, I'm new in this forum and I want to mount chinese fonts in my prs505 using your method. How can I get a copy of tinyhttp.sh?
Many thanks.
pikoman is offline   Reply With Quote