Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > ePub Books

Notices

Old 01-26-2011, 01:49 AM   #1
ldolse
Wizard
ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: PRS-650, iPhone
Joyce, James: Ulysses v.2 Jan 2011

Ulysses has previously been posted by Sein at this thread.

Gutenberg's html was used as the source for this version. This version has been improved over the Gutenberg/original mobileread post in that it contains a hierarchical TOC that lists out the three parts and eighteen episodes. The epub is split at each episode point - I've seen Ulysses frequently used as example of books that are difficult for ebook readers as there are no obvious split points - I thought the episodes were suitable for the purpose, especially considering the book was originally released episodically.

The names of the episodes are only reflected in the TOC, not in the actual text, to stay true to the original formatting.

Minor formatting improvements are also included like removing indents at the beginning of episodes and after verse, avoiding page breaks before lines of verse, etc.
This work is assumed to be in the Life+70 public domain OR the copyright holder has given specific permission for distribution. Copyright laws differ throughout the world, and it may still be under copyright in some countries. Before downloading, please check your country's copyright laws. If the book is under copyright in your country, do not download or redistribute this work.

To report a copyright violation you can contact us here.
Attached Files
File Type: epub Ulysses - James Joyce.epub (906.5 KB, 2052 views)
ldolse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 08:35 AM   #2
lyric
Enthusiast
lyric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lyric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lyric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lyric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lyric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lyric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lyric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lyric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lyric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lyric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lyric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Wonderful work. I have been looking for a properly formatted Ulysses for an age. Thank you very much!
lyric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 02:39 PM   #3
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
Arrrghh! Ulysses is the most frustrating e-book I've ever read. I bought two editions, one in paper and one ePub from Penguin, and downloaded all the free digital versions I could find, and none is error free. Still, the MR one is the most readable one and that's the one I'm reading now. I guess a book like that is really hard to proof-read...

(And by the way, don't bother to buy the Penguin ePub, the formatting is very nice but the number of OCR errors much too high).
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 09:22 PM   #4
ldolse
Wizard
ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Yeah - I didn't attempt to proofread the Gutenberg version - after reading Wikipedia about all the controversies on screwed up revisions and failed attempts at a 'perfect' copy of Ulysses I decided it might be best not to throw my hat into that ring. I'll leave it to the academics.

Gutenberg is based off the original printing (the only variant out of copyright), not sure how accurate the proofreading of the OCR conversion is, but according to Wikipedia the original edition contains several thousand errors, yet is still considered by some to be more accurate than later editions.

Last edited by ldolse; 01-27-2011 at 09:25 PM.
Old 01-28-2011, 03:32 AM   #5
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldolse View Post
Yeah - I didn't attempt to proofread the Gutenberg version - after reading Wikipedia about all the controversies on screwed up revisions and failed attempts at a 'perfect' copy of Ulysses I decided it might be best not to throw my hat into that ring. I'll leave it to the academics.

Gutenberg is based off the original printing (the only variant out of copyright), not sure how accurate the proofreading of the OCR conversion is, but according to Wikipedia the original edition contains several thousand errors, yet is still considered by some to be more accurate than later editions.
I don't believe that the Gutenberg version is based on the original 1921 edition printed by Librairie Shakespeare in Paris, because the paper version I bought is supposed to be that, and has end notes to correct the typesetting errors. The MR version I am reading has corrected at least some of these errors (I didn't check them all of course). What I am talking about are simple and very avoidable OCR errors such as "Ill" becoming "111". Which is at least readable, contrary to the paying Penguin version where "the" is sometimes replaced with "die", and believe me it's really hard to make sense of a sentence when that happens

Also, James Joyce died in 1941, so all his books are in the public domain in countries where copyright is life+50, and will be in the public domain very soon in life+70 countries (or is it already? I don't know if it starts in 2011 or 2012). But I know it's different in the U.S.
Old 01-28-2011, 03:41 AM   #6
lyric
Enthusiast
lyric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lyric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lyric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lyric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lyric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lyric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lyric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lyric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lyric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lyric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lyric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Joyce's books come out of copyright in UK and Ireland on January 1st 2012. It would be a fitting celebration if a definitive public domain version existed by that time.

Joyce's grandson (who holds the copyright) has been a bit of an idiot over the years, preventing public readings, new editions etc.
lyric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 10:21 AM   #7
ldolse
Wizard

I'm more or less going off of the Wikipedia article:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ulysses_(novel)

They mention that the 1922 first edition (same as 1921?) for some reason is out of copyright already (before the life+70 date), while 'some' of the other editions may go out of copyright in 2012. Apparently because the first edition was so screwed up, many of the subsequent editions which were 'edited' (possibly including the one with your end-notes), are copy-rightable as separate editions, and the scholars/publishing houses who made those editions retain the copyrights on those versions until who knows when...

Agree with lyric that it would be nice to get a definitive corrected edition - who knows, maybe some grad student will find it a fitting project and release it to the OSS community.

The Wikipedia article goes into further detail, but that's why I assumed Gutenberg was using the first edition.

There's also Gutenberg's own site, which says it's the pre-1923 print edition:
http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/4300 - click the bibrec tab.

Last edited by ldolse; 01-28-2011 at 10:26 AM.
Old 01-28-2011, 10:25 AM   #8
FlorenceArt
High Priestess

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldolse View Post
I'm more or less going off of the Wikipedia article:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ulysses_(novel)

They mention that the 1922 first edition (same as 1921?) for some reason is out of copyright already (before the life+70 date), while 'some' of the other editions may go out of copyright in 2012. Apparently because the first edition was so screwed up, all the subsequent editions which were 'edited' (possibly including the one with your end-notes), are copy-rightable as separate editions, and the scholars/publishing houses who made those editions retain the copyrights on those versions until who knows when...

Agree with lyric that it would be nice to get a definitive corrected edition - who knows, maybe some grad student will find it a fitting project and release it to the OSS community.

The Wikipedia article goes into further detail, but that's why I assumed Gutenberg was using the first edition.

There's also Gutenberg's own site, which says it's the pre-1923 print edition:
http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/4300 - click the bibrec tab.
It does seem complicated... 1922 is probably the correct date of the first edition if you checked it, I cited the date from memory and my memory of numbers is extremely unreliable
Old 03-17-2011, 09:47 AM   #9
januaryman
Used DTBs & iPad User
januaryman began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
As for other versions - I have the Mobile Reference copy "Works of James Joyce" that includes Ulysses, but since it did such a shameful job on Dubliners in that same volume, I dare not risk reading Ulysses with any faith in its correctness. So I'll try yours, and thank you for your work.
januaryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 12:25 AM   #10
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T2
Now out of copyright in the European Union - Irishmen, rejoyce!
AprilHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 04:39 PM   #11
ricketytickety
ricketytickety began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Thank you, Idolse, for the new version with distinct episodes. But I seem to have lost these divisions in converting from epub to mobi for my Kindle machine. Any suggestions?
ricketytickety is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
classics, fiction, literature