Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-13-2013, 11:23 AM   #61
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
@ElMiko - OFF TOPIC
That has to be one of my favorite movies of all time!! As Jack Burton says "It's all in the reflexes"!
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:33 AM   #62
fauxpas
Connoisseur
fauxpas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fauxpas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fauxpas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fauxpas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fauxpas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fauxpas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fauxpas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fauxpas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fauxpas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fauxpas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fauxpas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW
I like the Sil Charis as well.. most regular fonts I tried are too thin for my liking, but this one was better. But I still think I prefer Caecilia.. it has the bolder strokes of non-serifs but actually has (slab) serifs. I'll definitely try reading a few chapters with the Sil Charis though
fauxpas is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-13-2013, 12:05 PM   #63
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The Charis SIL that I linked was made darker then the original version because while it was good on eInk, I wanted something a bit darker.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 12:19 PM   #64
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
I downloaded the Charis SIL file, but it's an RAR rather than a zip file - I use Windows 7 (64 bit) - what's the best way to open an RAR file?
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 12:21 PM   #65
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
WinRAR - there's a free evaluation version.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-13-2013, 12:28 PM   #66
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks, Harry.

don't you love it? I don't even have my PW yet, and I'm downloading fonts for it, and making notes on how I want to jailbreak it. I had no desire to jailbreak my K3! But it looks like I have to jailbreak the PW to retain some of the capabilities my K3 had (notably collection management)
Old 01-13-2013, 12:33 PM   #67
BeccaPrice
Wizard

Arugh. The WinRAR site will only let me download it for free if I select offers (which I don't want), and there's only one offer listed, and no way to select it and click Continue. and I don't want to pay $33 for a program I may only use once.

I'm assuming that there's a reason to use RAR compression rather than a zip compression, which Windows will open easily.
Old 01-13-2013, 12:37 PM   #68
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
Arugh. The WinRAR site will only let me download it for free if I select offers (which I don't want), and there's only one offer listed, and no way to select it and click Continue. and I don't want to pay $33 for a program I may only use once.

I'm assuming that there's a reason to use RAR compression rather than a zip compression, which Windows will open easily.
No, rar is simply better compression. Choice of preference. Try 7zip (www.7-zip.org) instead, that is free, unlike winrar.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 01:08 PM   #69
BeccaPrice
Wizard

Thanks, DuckieTigger = I'll try that one next.

ah, got it. It took me a bit of time to figure out how to use it, but I've got it now. Thanks, all!

(now, all I need is my PW to get here... tuesday, they say. I'd love to take Wednesday off to spend all day playing, but that's not reasonable, alas.)
Old 01-13-2013, 03:01 PM   #70
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
I now have Amasis (modified), Trebuchet (modified), Nokia Pure (modified), Segoe Semi and Charis SIL on my PW. I've been too busying playing with fonts seeing what looks good. Now I need one more nice Serif font as most are Sans Serif. I like the Condensed version Caecilia but it needs more weight.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 04:44 PM   #71
93terp
Fear The Turtle!
93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV, Kobo Forma, Kobo A1LE, KO3, K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I tried it but the words were spaced funny in my book using it. I'm gonna add John's font. Right now I am using Amasis Modified for the eInk. I love we can add more than one font though.
Me too (on the weird spacing). It had huge spaces in words that have an apostrophe.

I also love being able to add more than 1 font. Right now I'm going back & forth b/w Segoe UI and Lora.
93terp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 04:47 PM   #72
93terp
Fear The Turtle!
93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post

@booklover6: That is a nice and heavy font. I like that one too. Just can't select it any more - I made the extra ones go hide, so I had more room for mine and still see the text when I change. Was thinking to maybe unhide that font
How do you hide the fonts you don't want to use see? By the way, thanks for the USE_ALT_FONTS trick! Love it!

Old 01-13-2013, 05:01 PM   #73
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93terp View Post
Me too (on the weird spacing). It had huge spaces in words that have an apostrophe.

I also love being able to add more than 1 font. Right now I'm going back & forth b/w Segoe UI and Lora.
I have Segoe Semi Bold instead. I think it's looks better than Segoe UI.

I have Font Creator Pro so I modified a font's weight before adding it. I find most fonts render too light on the PW.

Trebuchet with a little weight added looks really good on the PW. It's my font of choice on my Kindle Fire.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 05:06 PM   #74
93terp
Fear The Turtle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I have Segoe Semi Bold instead. I think it's looks better than Segoe UI.

I have Font Creator Pro so I modified a font's weight before adding it. I find most fonts render too light on the PW.

Trebuchet with a little weight added looks really good on the PW. It's my font of choice on my Kindle Fire.
Thanks for the tip, Blossom. I will have to try adding weight. I agree that some fonts that I really like just render too light on the PW (e.g. Calibri).
Old 01-13-2013, 05:17 PM   #75
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
WinRAR - there's a free evaluation version.
Or 7-Zip which is free.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote