Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 07:14 PM   #16
volwrath
Guru
volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SGS3/PW2/Nexus72
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhouluyi View Post
@Skydog, yes, I'm completely sure, actually I performed a new one just this morning to post the result in another forum. Here is what happens when I do a factory reset:

1) Everything is deleted;
2) The visible folders audible, documents and music are recreated.
3) The hidden folder system is recreated.
4) The Kindle User Guide is copied to the documents folder.
5) Since the Kindle re-starts with the User Guide opened, in the system folders the files for its thumbnail and search indexes are created.

No tts folder anywhere.

I still haven't received the files from sucah (I guess he hadn't the chance of sending them yet), so if anyone (that have the files) want me to test it right now I'm online for the next four hours...
PM if you dont have the folder yet
Old 12-05-2011, 07:22 PM   #17
zhouluyi
zhouluyi began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
SOLVED!!!

Thank you all very much, mostly the user shinew who kindly send me the files and I was able to replace them in my Kindle.

I thought the files would be just couple of MB, maybe 10 or 20 MB, but turns out it's a whopping 250 MB!!!!

Anyway, I can confirm that Text-to-speech is working again, both male and female voices, and in all speeds...

I also tried to do a factory reset to see if it would do anything to the tts folder. Turns out the Factory reset ignores this folder and just delete everything else. I still think its a bad design decision to put dependencies on user accessible folders, even if they expect to offer internationalization, this could be done with a customtts or usertts folder, no need to put the core stuff in there.

Anyway, thanks again all of you! I managed to screw my Kindle Touch on the first day I got it , but in the end it served the purpose of alerting you all to backup your TTS files...

BTW: How can I put a solved on the initial post title?

Last edited by zhouluyi; 12-05-2011 at 07:24 PM.
Advert
Old 12-05-2011, 08:28 PM   #18
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhouluyi View Post
@Skydog, yes, I'm completely sure, actually I performed a new one just this morning to post the result in another forum. Here is what happens when I do a factory reset:

1) Everything is deleted;
2) The visible folders audible, documents and music are recreated.
3) The hidden folder system is recreated.
4) The Kindle User Guide is copied to the documents folder.
5) Since the Kindle re-starts with the User Guide opened, in the system folders the files for its thumbnail and search indexes are created.

No tts folder anywhere.

I still haven't received the files from sucah (I guess he hadn't the chance of sending them yet), so if anyone (that have the files) want me to test it right now I'm online for the next four hours...
Well, that is most definitely a design flaw and I really am surprised it slipped by the developers. Happy to hear that you are up and running again.

Last edited by Skydog; 12-05-2011 at 08:32 PM.
Old 12-15-2011, 03:31 PM   #19
beren23
beren23 can illuminate an eclipseberen23 can illuminate an eclipseberen23 can illuminate an eclipseberen23 can illuminate an eclipseberen23 can illuminate an eclipseberen23 can illuminate an eclipseberen23 can illuminate an eclipseberen23 can illuminate an eclipseberen23 can illuminate an eclipseberen23 can illuminate an eclipseberen23 can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kindle Touch, iPhone 4
Hi there, I just got my Kindle Touch and, for whatever reason, I haven't got the tts files either. I haven't touched any folder nor deleted anything, the Kindle was brand new and had never been used before.

The only plausible explanation is that I live in Spain and the Kindle came preset to Amazon.es account, perhaps tts was not installed because it's not available in spanish yet...

Anyway, I changed my account to amazon.com and tried both rebooting and returning to factory defaults to no avail.

I discovered something was wrong when the Kindle displayed an error message while testing it as I got it out of the box. I'm not going to use tts much, but I certainly want to have it, if only because I paid for it. I'd be grateful if any of you guys could provide me with the missing files!

Thanks!
Old 12-15-2011, 04:17 PM   #20
zhouluyi
zhouluyi began at the beginning.

Hi beren23, try to reach shinew from this thread, he had put the files on server for me to download, if he still have the files up this will save the trouble of uploading them again (its 250 mb). If you can't reach him, PM and I will try to upload them.
Advert
Old 12-17-2011, 09:08 AM   #21
beren23
beren23 can illuminate an eclipseberen23 can illuminate an eclipseberen23 can illuminate an eclipseberen23 can illuminate an eclipseberen23 can illuminate an eclipseberen23 can illuminate an eclipseberen23 can illuminate an eclipseberen23 can illuminate an eclipseberen23 can illuminate an eclipseberen23 can illuminate an eclipseberen23 can illuminate an eclipse

Thanks! I'll do that. I'll reach you back if I can't get it from shinew.
Old 12-20-2011, 08:57 AM   #22
Sassapphras
A Jane of All Trades
Sassapphras can illuminate an eclipseSassapphras can illuminate an eclipseSassapphras can illuminate an eclipseSassapphras can illuminate an eclipseSassapphras can illuminate an eclipseSassapphras can illuminate an eclipseSassapphras can illuminate an eclipseSassapphras can illuminate an eclipseSassapphras can illuminate an eclipseSassapphras can illuminate an eclipseSassapphras can illuminate an eclipse

I also got an error while trying to use tts.

Quote:
Text-to-Speech Alert

Text-to-Speech encountered an error. Please restart your Kindle from Menu in Settings. If the problem persists, contact Kindle Customer Service at http://www.kindle.com/support
I plugged my Kindle into the computer to check out the files, and the tts folder is there, but there are no files inside of it. Is there a way to get a permanent link posted on this forum with the tts files? Especially since this seems to be a relatively common issue. If not, I would greatly appreciate someone sending me the files. Lots of presents to wrap before Christmas and would like to listen to my books while I'm busy. TIA
Old 12-20-2011, 09:16 AM   #23
beren23

Hi Sassapphras, that's exactly the same error I had when I first tried to access TTS, only to discover I didn't even have the "tts" folder.

The user Shinew was so kind as to provide me with the missing folder and everything seems in order in my Kindle now.

In order to not bug him with PMs requesting the link from every user in need of those files, I don't mind uploading the folder to a file share server (i.e. megaupload) and provide the link here. Does anyone know if such action violates any forum rules or copyright law? If not, I'll gladly do so.

I really don't get how this is happening, the Kindle Touch seems solidly built and until now it works like a charm, but it does seem that Amazon has some QA issues with this Kindle's TTS features... Being a software developer, I also don't understand what kind of design directive places those files in plain sight, inside an easily erasable folder and with no way to restore them unless you're able to get those files from somebody else, if those files must be placed there for whatever reason, the Kindle should be able to recover/repair them by itself

Cheers!
Old 12-20-2011, 09:28 AM   #24
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It would certainly be a technical violation of copyright law: they are, after all, copyrighted files, hence I'm afraid that we couldn't permit you to post links to such files in this forum. But if you wished to send people the link via PM, that would of course be fine.
Old 12-20-2011, 09:30 AM   #25
beren23

Thanks for clarifying Harry
Old 12-21-2011, 12:35 AM   #26
Sassapphras
A Jane of All Trades
Sassapphras can illuminate an eclipseSassapphras can illuminate an eclipseSassapphras can illuminate an eclipseSassapphras can illuminate an eclipseSassapphras can illuminate an eclipseSassapphras can illuminate an eclipseSassapphras can illuminate an eclipseSassapphras can illuminate an eclipseSassapphras can illuminate an eclipseSassapphras can illuminate an eclipseSassapphras can illuminate an eclipse

Would it be possible for someone to upload their tts files and send me a PM with the link? Thank you.
Old 12-21-2011, 01:14 AM   #27
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassapphras View Post
Would it be possible for someone to upload their tts files and send me a PM with the link? Thank you.
Have you asked Kindle CS for help?
Old 12-21-2011, 01:20 AM   #28
Sassapphras
A Jane of All Trades

No. I thought since others were being helped on this site that I might be helped as well.

Update: I have been chatting with CS for about 40 minutes. They asked me to Restore to Factory Default (which I didn't want to do, but did so for the sake of proceeding) to no avail. I was told my Kindle Touch needed to be replaced, which I refused and requested only the tts files be sent to me. I was sent a link to download a patch, but since I am currently living in Japan I am unable to connect to it. CS has looked for an alternative link but were unable to find one. S/he is currently looking into the issue for which I cannot connect to their link. This is not looking hopeful.

Update Update: CS was unable to resolve the issue and is contacting their technicians on the lack of support for international users. They will get back to me via email with an update. Surprisingly (to me), I did receive a $10 gift card.

I just got a PM from shinew with a link to the tts files, which I appreciate SOOO much! Thank you shinew! Unfortunately it's going to take a few hours to download since my internet connection speed is worse than dial-up when it first came out.

Is it possible to post the link I was given by CS for the patch that supposedly fixes this issue? If so, I'd like to be able to help those in the US.

Last edited by Sassapphras; 12-21-2011 at 03:28 AM.
Old 12-21-2011, 04:15 AM   #29
beren23

Hello again, I've uploaded the 'tts' folder to a file sharing site, since it's not possible to provide the link in this thread due to possible copyright infringment, you can PM me and I'll gladly provide the link via PM ASAP.

I'm certain that Amazon will eventually solve this issue, but in the meanwhile, I'll gladly help. Also, anybody to whom I give the link is free to share it.

Cheers!
Old 12-21-2011, 04:29 AM   #30
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Thanks, beren, that's very kind of you.
Closed Thread