Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > Upload Help

Notices

Old 04-13-2014, 06:42 AM   #1
crutledge
eBook FANatic
crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP ipac RX5915 Wife's Kindle
MOBI book will not upload.

I have a mobi file of 22.9 Mb. It will not upload. The LRF and ePub versions ( about 10 Mb) upload with no problems. It runs fine in the various readers.

Ideas???
crutledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 06:56 AM   #2
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
Charlie, there is a 20MB limit for mobis. If you open the upload window and go down the window, all the limits are listed there.

So I am afraid it crushes your ambition to upload the gigantic American novel. (grin)

It is at this point I give in and resize all the images to fit my old PRS300 and don't worry about the ipads!
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 07:33 AM   #3
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Moderator Notice
What on earth made you think that the ePub format forum was appropriate for a question about uploading a mobi file? Moved to where it belongs.

You could split the file in several pieces with winrar or similar.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 11:16 AM   #4
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Better yet use Mobi unpack to take the mobi apart. The reason it is so large and so much larger than the other files is that if it is built with KindleGen it contains the original ePub source, a pure mobi KF7 format and a KF8 file inside the same file. There are tools that can strip the source file out decreasing the size by 1/3 but leaving the two formats together inside. This is the first step. There are two strippers, one in python and one in java. mobi unpack will result in all three pieces available separately. You can upload botht he KF7 version and the KF8 version allowing the user to download just what they need. For more details see our wiki.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 05:19 PM   #5
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Better yet use Mobi unpack to take the mobi apart.
There's also a KindleUnpack Calibre plug-in that allows you to extract either the mobi7 or mobi8 part. BTW, Calibre can also generate hybrid .mobi files (without attached source files), if you set the MOBI file type option to both.

@Charlie: If the ePub contains embedded fonts and/or small caps or drop caps, you may want to upload only the azw3 file that the KindleUnpack plugin generates, because the older mobi7 format doesn't support these features.
If you use KindleGen at the command line, make sure to use the -c2 compression parameter, which might reduce the file size by 10%.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 04:34 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I prefer to use pdurrant's excellent Kindlestrip tool to remove the source code from the generated file. This normally at least halves the file size.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 07:24 AM   #7
crutledge
eBook FANatic
crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I prefer to use pdurrant's excellent Kindlestrip tool to remove the source code from the generated file. This normally at least halves the file size.
What version of Python do I need to run Kindlestrip. Can Kindlestrip be used as a command line tool?
Old 04-19-2014, 07:33 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crutledge View Post
What version of Python do I need to run Kindlestrip. Can Kindlestrip be used as a command line tool?
I'm using Python 2.7.3. Yes, Kindlestrip is a command-line tool.
Old 04-19-2014, 08:45 AM   #9
crutledge
eBook FANatic

KindleStrip for Dummys

I installed Python 2.7.3.
I created a folder for KindleStrip
I downloaded kindlestrip.py 1.35
I extracted a folder named __MACOSX and a file named kindlestrip.py
I created a shortcut to kindlestrip.py and inserted it into the SendTo menu

When I right click on a mobi file and SendTo kindlestrip.py a small command line window flashes and then NOTHING.

Being the world class genius that I am .... HELP!!!

Last edited by crutledge; 04-19-2014 at 08:49 AM.
Old 04-19-2014, 08:55 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

I have Python installed in a folder called "Python27", and the script "kindlestrip.py" in a folder called "Tools".

What I do is to start a command prompt, change directory to the one containing the book I want to strip the source from, and type in:

\python27\python \tools\kindlestrip.py book.mobi bookstrip.mobi

That processes the input file "book.mobi" and creates a stripped output file called "bookstrip.mobi".
Old 04-19-2014, 09:09 AM   #11
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by crutledge View Post
When I right click on a mobi file and SendTo kindlestrip.py a small command line window flashes and then NOTHING.
KindleStrip.py requires two parameters and cannot be used with Send To. However, you can easily automate the use of KindleStrip with a batch file. For more information see the Batch processing with kindlegen thread.
One of the batch files will automatically process all ePubs in a folder with KindleGen and KindleStrip and the other one will apply KindleStrip to .mobi files generated by KindleGen.

To use them simply copy the batch file code to a text file, save it with a .cmd or .bat extension and double-click the batch file.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 10:55 AM   #12
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
I don't have Python currently loaded but there is also a Java version in the same thread. See https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...va#post2405642

This is what I use.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote