Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 01-29-2014, 08:15 AM   #1
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Nook GlowLight: 2GB or 4GB?

I've just received my Nook GlowLight.
I really like it, with 2 minor exceptions:
a.) No MicroSD slot, whereas Nook Simple Touch GlowLight did have one.
b.) The website http://www.barnesandnoble.com/u/Compare-NOOKs/379003181 states "4GB- Holds up to 2000 books".
But in my device info, I only find:
B&N Content Storage Available = 1,50GB free (already downloaded a few dozen books) of 2.05GB.
Other Storage Available = 508MB free of 508MB (HarryT in another thread just told me, that's for side loaded content).

Even if I include the "other storage" (which might not be available for B&N content, though), it only adds up to 2.5GB.
Without a MicroSD slot, each additional GB counts! I'll need about 3.5GB, to download my entire B&N library (some Garfield cartoons, which take a lot of space).

So: Is it really 4GB? Where's the other 1.5GB? Consumed by the OS? Seems strange. The specs to me read "4GB available for content"...
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 08:52 AM   #2
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Yes it really is 4gb. A lot is taken up by the OS. Even so, yes, there is room for 2000 books. Normal ebooks are very small in size.

If you want more storage, you have to go back to the Simple Touch, or, my favorite, the Nook SD tablet. Even the 8gb size has tons of space, plus the SD card slot. It's a fantastic ereader!
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 09:18 AM   #3
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
Yes it really is 4gb. A lot is taken up by the OS. Even so, yes, there is room for 2000 books. Normal ebooks are very small in size.

If you want more storage, you have to go back to the Simple Touch, or, my favorite, the Nook SD tablet. Even the 8gb size has tons of space, plus the SD card slot. It's a fantastic ereader!
I can't download my entire library on my Nook Simple Touch.
It's only 300 books, but some huge ones (Garfield cartoons, travel companions and such).
I'm almost done, downloading the entire library on Nook GlowLight, so obviously it really seems to have more storage capacity...

Last edited by mgmueller; 01-29-2014 at 09:37 AM.
Old 01-29-2014, 10:18 AM   #4
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Garfield cartoons and travel companions sound like huge files, much larger than what I would call a normal ebook, which for me is text only fiction.

Wouldn't you want to read cartoons and travel guides in color? You need a Nook HD!

Well darn, being in Germany, maybe you can't get one.

Last edited by booklover6; 01-29-2014 at 10:39 AM.
Old 01-29-2014, 11:30 AM   #5
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Garfield cartoons and travel companions sound like huge files, much larger than what I would call a normal ebook, which for me is text only fiction.

Wouldn't you want to read cartoons and travel guides in color? You need a Nook HD!

Well darn, being in Germany, maybe you can't get one.
I have the Nook HD+.
Have the Nook HD as well, but hate the build quality (gaps between frame and tablet).
I have the Fire HD 8.9, Fire HD, Nexus 7, to name a few.
But I want to have all my libraries on all my units.
I'm a collector.
BTW: The Garfield cartoons are about 30MB each.
Old 01-29-2014, 12:09 PM   #6
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

Ah, I see. I like to do that, too, though sometimes I wonder why I want the same books on all my devices...

I would suggest a Kobo instead of that Nook Glow....I have a Kobo Glo, but of course you could get the Aura HD which might be better for your cartoons.

Although looking at your device list, perhaps you already have one or two.

In any case, the Nook Glow, with no SD card, does not seem to be the device that would suit your desire to have your entire collection on it. I have a 4gb Kindle Touch that has more usable space than what you have quoted for that Nook.

You never sell your devices? I wonder how I would maintain such a large collection. I tend to get rid of them when I get something better. I currently have 3 e-ink readers and 4 tablets, plus my kids' 4 tablets. That number is fluid, however.
Old 01-29-2014, 01:50 PM   #7
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Ah, I see. I like to do that, too, though sometimes I wonder why I want the same books on all my devices...

I would suggest a Kobo instead of that Nook Glow....I have a Kobo Glo, but of course you could get the Aura HD which might be better for your cartoons.

Although looking at your device list, perhaps you already have one or two.

In any case, the Nook Glow, with no SD card, does not seem to be the device that would suit your desire to have your entire collection on it. I have a 4gb Kindle Touch that has more usable space than what you have quoted for that Nook.

You never sell your devices? I wonder how I would maintain such a large collection. I tend to get rid of them when I get something better. I currently have 3 e-ink readers and 4 tablets, plus my kids' 4 tablets. That number is fluid, however.
I rarely sell any of my gadgets.
Only the ones I really don't use at all.
Google Chromebook Pixel, for example. Great device, but I simply didn't find any usage pattern for it.
But you're totally right: Sometimes it's hard to maintain all my hardware. Often enough I take some gadget, just to find the battery drained.
But I frequently enough use about 75% of my gadgets, to still make some use of them.

I already have the Kobe Aura HD. I'm not too fond of it, though. I find it a bit on the ugly side...
Old 02-25-2014, 11:57 AM   #8
U2Bono269
Connoisseur
U2Bono269 can differentiate black from dark navy blueU2Bono269 can differentiate black from dark navy blueU2Bono269 can differentiate black from dark navy blueU2Bono269 can differentiate black from dark navy blueU2Bono269 can differentiate black from dark navy blueU2Bono269 can differentiate black from dark navy blueU2Bono269 can differentiate black from dark navy blueU2Bono269 can differentiate black from dark navy blueU2Bono269 can differentiate black from dark navy blueU2Bono269 can differentiate black from dark navy blueU2Bono269 can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPad Air 2
I'm holding off buying one of these because of the storage but...

It says that the Nook Glowlight has 4GB of space, 2.5GB of which is for content, and 2GB of that is for B&N content. That leaves 500MB for sideloaded content.

Is it true that B&N can adjust that in the store? If I could buy that and have all 2.5GB for sideloaded content, I'd be a Nook user again.

Anyone know?
U2Bono269 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 12:39 PM   #9
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by U2Bono269 View Post
I'm holding off buying one of these because of the storage but...

It says that the Nook Glowlight has 4GB of space, 2.5GB of which is for content, and 2GB of that is for B&N content. That leaves 500MB for sideloaded content.

Is it true that B&N can adjust that in the store? If I could buy that and have all 2.5GB for sideloaded content, I'd be a Nook user again.

Anyone know?
They did that with the nook tablet, but that's the extend of it. They never did it for any other device, including the eInk devices. So, no, it can't be adjusted.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote