Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-07-2010, 06:08 PM   #1
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
Fading in the sun

The screen on my PRS900 fades in the sun. After reading a bit about the issue on these forums and around, I decided to call SONY. They agreed to replace the unit.

But I am in Italy now - until September - so shipping is kind of problematic - or, at least, not free. So they agreed on replacing my unit in September, when I get back home to the States.

So now I get to treat my device with utter disrespect - no worries about sand, scratches, sun lotion on it - I am getting a new one in September.

Yet, no reading under direct sunlight either.

Anyhow... I just figured I'd share...
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 04:38 PM   #2
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Call it your vampire diary.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-08-2010, 06:18 PM   #3
SameerH
Product Manager
SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by vxf View Post
The screen on my PRS900 fades in the sun. After reading a bit about the issue on these forums and around, I decided to call SONY. They agreed to replace the unit.

But I am in Italy now - until September - so shipping is kind of problematic - or, at least, not free. So they agreed on replacing my unit in September, when I get back home to the States.

So now I get to treat my device with utter disrespect - no worries about sand, scratches, sun lotion on it - I am getting a new one in September.

Yet, no reading under direct sunlight either.

Anyhow... I just figured I'd share...
A lot of e-ink screens have this issue. At Kobo we weed these out by shining a really bright light (I believe it's 20,000 lumens..?) on the screen before it joins the board assembly.

Interesting story, in the early days we couldn't figure out for the longest time why the sun-fading was happening. We tried ultraviolet light and I personally even tried to heat the screen with a lighter to see if that was the problem lol. Finally found the issue.

Sometimes however, a screen or two will slip through the cracks (although we have not had a return yet for that reason that I know of).
SameerH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 07:16 PM   #4
bugeyed
Connoisseur
bugeyed began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo 2, PRS-600
Thanks for your input SameerH. I am curious about the cause. Was wondering if the xerographic principle was involved here, the principle that a sufficiently bright light will dissipate a static charge on a surface?
Just wondering.
Cheers,
kev
bugeyed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 07:23 PM   #5
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
I tried replicating the problems with my reader with strong lights, but couldn't. I don't know if heat has something to do with it, or UVs. That's why I do finance - my engineering skills are very poor.

But I did notice that, if I shine a strong light on it, the touchscreen becomes very unresponsive - which is especially noticeable if you try writing on the screen.
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-19-2010, 10:52 AM   #6
JakesFriend
Jakes Friend
JakesFriend began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite1
Speaking of glare, I had hopes my polarized sunglasses (prescription) would help with my PRS900, but that doesn't seem to be the case. On my next visit to the eye doctor I'm going to see if he has any suggestions.
JakesFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 11:49 AM   #7
rblover69
rblover69 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS900BC
the fade i notice is not a permanent thing as it returns to its sharpness after a while of use out side on the 900. I believe heat is the main culprit here but i could be wrong. All in all its not a serious issue and still far ahead of LCD use outdoors.
rblover69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 05:53 PM   #8
jj2me
Guru
jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, -350; Kindle 3 3G, DX, PW 2; various tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by rblover69 View Post
I believe heat is the main culprit here but i could be wrong.
Ditto (including the "I could be wrong.").

Two recent experiences (I've read outdoors in the shade before and never experienced fade):
  • Sony PRS-505 reading in direct sunlight (I was testing for the fade) for about 10 minutes. Ambient temp about 75 deg. F. No fade.
  • Same Reader, first sat for twenty minutes in direct sun in a black case. Ambient temp about 95 deg. F. Metal parts of Reader were hot to the touch from sitting in the case. Definite fade.

Edit:

Further testing of my dark blue PRS-505. Ambient temperature today: 100 in the shade.
  • Read in the shade for about 2 hours, unit didn't feel hot. No fade.
  • Placed 505 in the sun for 10 minutes, unit felt hot. Infrared thermometer read over 135 deg. F on the dark blue back, and over 130 on the screen. Fade showed as soon as I turned the page.
  • Fade disappeared by the time the screen temp had fallen to 115.

So IMHO, I don't think I have a "fader." The fading occurs when the unit feels to be far too hot to the touch for an electronic device to be expected to perform correctly.

Last edited by jj2me; 07-24-2010 at 03:37 PM.
jj2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 03:19 AM   #9
SneakySnake
I'm watching you!
SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-900(unused lately) iPadAir2, want me Kindle Oasis
Mine hasn't got a problem with temperature. It just doesn't refresh properly if direct sunlight is on the screen.

Should I get a new one before it runs out of warranty? It is not a big problem at the moment because no issue in the shade only direct sunlight, but what if it get worse? I am worried that it will become an issue after 12 months are up.
SneakySnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 07:02 PM   #10
BobVA
Addict
BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo Clara, Sony PRS950, T1, T2, T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SneakySnake View Post
... I am worried that it will become an issue after 12 months are up.
My US purchased 900 only had a 90 day labor warranty. The parts warranty is 12 months. May or not apply down under, but just in case.

Cheers,
Bob
BobVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 10:47 PM   #11
db100
db100 is on a distinguished road

Fading is the maojor problem of the recent batch of eink screen. Both Kindle and Reader have this problem. The actual reason is the light (probably UV light) causes the charges to be discharged. That means, screen is defective.

Send back to store (if still within 30 day return period) or SONY, they can either replace or repair it for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj2me View Post
Ditto (including the "I could be wrong.").

Two recent experiences (I've read outdoors in the shade before and never experienced fade):
  • Sony PRS-505 reading in direct sunlight (I was testing for the fade) for about 10 minutes. Ambient temp about 75 deg. F. No fade.
  • Same Reader, first sat for twenty minutes in direct sun in a black case. Ambient temp about 95 deg. F. Metal parts of Reader were hot to the touch from sitting in the case. Definite fade.

Edit:

Further testing of my dark blue PRS-505. Ambient temperature today: 100 in the shade.
  • Read in the shade for about 2 hours, unit didn't feel hot. No fade.
  • Placed 505 in the sun for 10 minutes, unit felt hot. Infrared thermometer read over 135 deg. F on the dark blue back, and over 130 on the screen. Fade showed as soon as I turned the page.
  • Fade disappeared by the time the screen temp had fallen to 115.

So IMHO, I don't think I have a "fader." The fading occurs when the unit feels to be far too hot to the touch for an electronic device to be expected to perform correctly.
db100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 10:35 AM   #12
jj2me
Guru
jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, -350; Kindle 3 3G, DX, PW 2; various tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by db100 View Post
... The actual reason is the light (probably UV light) causes the charges to be discharged. That means, screen is defective.

Send back to store (if still within 30 day return period) or SONY, they can either replace or repair it for you.
Thanks much for this info as to the actual reason. So despite the 135 deg. operating temps, seems I have a fader. Will take your advice and return under my extended warranty from Sony.
jj2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 01:07 PM   #13
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba Thrive, Kobo Touch, Kindle 1, Aluratek Libre, T-Mobile Comet
135 degrees is way out of spec for the reader. The fact that the screen faded under those conditions means nothing. I've had to deal with readers that have the fade problem and they would fade based on exposure to direct sunlight, not based on temperature. I had one that would fade considerably on an overcast day, cool day as long as it was exposed to the open sky.
luqmaninbmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 01:10 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SneakySnake View Post
Mine hasn't got a problem with temperature. It just doesn't refresh properly if direct sunlight is on the screen.

Should I get a new one before it runs out of warranty? It is not a big problem at the moment because no issue in the shade only direct sunlight, but what if it get worse? I am worried that it will become an issue after 12 months are up.
What you have is a defective screen. yes, you should get it replaced before the warranty runs out. The screen of the 900 is not supposed to fade in direct sunlight. So go back to were you got it and see if you can get it swapped and if not, give Sony a call and get them to sort it out for you.

Vizplex screens are not supposed to fade when properly working.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 01:11 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SameerH View Post
A lot of e-ink screens have this issue. At Kobo we weed these out by shining a really bright light (I believe it's 20,000 lumens..?) on the screen before it joins the board assembly.

Interesting story, in the early days we couldn't figure out for the longest time why the sun-fading was happening. We tried ultraviolet light and I personally even tried to heat the screen with a lighter to see if that was the problem lol. Finally found the issue.

Sometimes however, a screen or two will slip through the cracks (although we have not had a return yet for that reason that I know of).
Where the fading screens all made by LG?
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote