Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-31-2024, 01:07 AM   #1
northirid
northirid began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10th Gen (PW4)
Jailbroken PW4 updated to 5.16.7. JB appears still present, can't downgrade

Hi all,

I have a PW4 that was running 5.16.5 yesterday. When I got it ages ago, I initially jailbroke it, but never put it in airplane mode.

I was prompted yesterday to look into KOReader, so was getting up to speed with how to do things again.
The jailbreak was still present and working ok, though ;log mrpi was nonfunctional.

By following these steps, I was able to downgrade from 5.16.5 to 5.16.2.1 and reactivate MRPI and KUAL, and get KOReader up and running.

Great, I thought!

This morning, I've gone to look at KOReader properly - it doesn't run. I forgot to put airplane mode back on, and the Kindle updated overnight to 5.16.7.

Ugh. OK, that's fine, you got the process working yesterday.

Put the emergency scripts on the Kindle, rebooted, Kindle boot screen shows "**** SQUASH JB ****" so it appears something is still there. reconnect to PC once it boots, scripts are gone. Hey, that seems positive. OK, check ;log mrpi ... nothing. D'oh.

Now, if I put any .bin file in the Kindle root directory, as soon as I disconnect from the PC, the Kindle flashes that an invalid update file has been placed on there.

Is anyone aware of a working downgrade method from 5.16.7 currently, on what appears to still be a somewhat jailbroken PW4?
northirid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2024, 01:59 AM   #2
northirid

To be clear: I recognise (now) I was silly for not ensuring airplane mode was on, and if I'm SoL, I get it.
Advert
Old 03-31-2024, 05:00 AM   #3
shamanNS
Guru
shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5 [bricked], Kindle PW1
Quote:
OK, check ;log mrpi ... nothing.
How about ";log runme", does it recognise that command?
Did you do couple more reboots after doing that emergency scripts thing?

Last edited by shamanNS; 03-31-2024 at 05:03 AM.
shamanNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2024, 06:07 AM   #4
northirid

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanNS View Post
How about ";log runme", does it recognise that command?
Sadly not - it only shows the search results and no actions appear to be performed, even with a runme.sh present.

Quote:
Did you do couple more reboots after doing that emergency scripts thing?
I've just tested that now - put emergency scripts on, reboot, confirm scripts are gone, reboot three more times. No behaviour change I can determine.
Old 03-31-2024, 09:34 AM   #5
shamanNS
Guru
shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That should be RUNME.sh
Advert
Old 03-31-2024, 03:35 PM   #6
Frogm4n
Zealot
Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
Instead of worrying about staying in airplane mode, install and activate renameotabin.
Frogm4n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2024, 05:42 PM   #7
northirid

Quote:
That should be RUNME.sh
Yes, sorry, capitalisation of the actual file is correct. With that said, the command is ;log runme and not ;log RUNME.sh right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogm4n View Post
Instead of worrying about staying in airplane mode, install and activate renameotabin.
Oh that I could, but so far as I can tell, I can't install and/or downgrade anything at the moment.
Old 04-01-2024, 04:11 AM   #8
shamanNS
Guru

Yes, in command it is lowercase (runme) and in filename uppercase (RUNME).
Old 04-01-2024, 05:21 PM   #9
northirid

Thought so. Yes - RUNME.sh on the device. In search bar, type ;log runme

Just shows search results with no effect otherwise. I think I'm hosed.
Old 04-02-2024, 07:46 PM   #10
KridOCaign
KridOCaign began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW5
I've got the same issue - had to temporarily leave airplane mode off so I could register, and forgot to turn it back off when an emergency came up.

Both renameotabin and backdoorlocker failed to stop it from pushing the update.
KridOCaign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 04:34 AM   #11
Daviteusz
Enthusiast
Daviteusz can teach chickens to fly.Daviteusz can teach chickens to fly.Daviteusz can teach chickens to fly.Daviteusz can teach chickens to fly.Daviteusz can teach chickens to fly.Daviteusz can teach chickens to fly.Daviteusz can teach chickens to fly.Daviteusz can teach chickens to fly.Daviteusz can teach chickens to fly.Daviteusz can teach chickens to fly.Daviteusz can teach chickens to fly.

Device: KOA3
If renameotabin was used correctly (you have to click "Rename" in the KUAL extension), then Kindle will not download or install the update via UYK, because the binaries are renamed and UYK simply does not work.

My kindle has had WiFi on for several months and nothing has installed itself, updates have not downloaded either.

Last edited by Daviteusz; 04-03-2024 at 04:40 AM.
Daviteusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2024, 02:15 AM   #12
Erythros
Erythros began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW3
Same problem. Yesterday I turned my Kindle on and discovered that my firmware was 5.16.2.1.1

Great, I can JB with language, and I did, everything worked correctly, installed Kual and MRPI, but when I connected it to wifi for registering back the Kindle I still hadn't installed the OTA thing that prevents updates, so my Kindle automatically updated to 5.16.7

I'd appreciate if people commenting provided a solution (or at least inform if nothing can be done for now) instead of saying "you should've activated the thing person who is doing this for the first time and didn't know beforehand after searching 5 different guides on how to do it!"
Erythros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2024, 02:33 AM   #13
Erythros
Erythros began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW3
Just an addendum that I've already tried placing the 4 emergency files in both root directory and the mrpackages directory and rebooted a few times (5 or 6 times) and they're still there, so that method might not work or this firmware.
Erythros is offline   Reply With Quote