Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-29-2013, 05:15 PM   #16
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Well, the Surface Pro, running Windows 8 Pro, is due out on Feb 9. It comes in either 60 or 128GB. Since Windows runs about 30, my husband is planning to get one to replace his work computer. And ipad won't do that.

Timng is suspicious!
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:49 PM   #17
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
iPad also won't poop out after 4 or 5 hours like the Surface Pro is expected to. Battery life is one of a couple of factors that drive wanting a tablet rather than, say, an ultrabook or MacBook Air.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-29-2013, 06:58 PM   #18
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
At least things are finally moving in the right direction. Although market leadership would have meant upgrading the 64GB to 128GB for the same price. That is what Apple used to do a few years ago when Steve was still running the show. Kept the competition in a constant race to keep up.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:22 PM   #19
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
The price for a 128 GB iPad is ridiculous. Yes, it's "only" $100 more, but I really, really doubt they will sell many at that pricepoint. Consumers are just not *that* stupid.

I did fork out money for the 64GB iPad3 3G last year, since I was constantly running out of space on the original iPad, but that was already something I had to justify to myself for days...
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:27 PM   #20
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
Consumers are just not *that* stupid.
As Scott Adams said, “You can never underestimate the stupidity of the general public.”
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-29-2013, 07:28 PM   #21
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
If you're all so concerned about storage then why don't you get a WiFi NAS drive... I run a 3TB personal cloud system - it's all under my control with no worrying about other people controlling my data- and I can access it happily from my computers, Nexus, iPad and Galaxy at home or anywhere I can get WiFi or use my Galaxy as a mobile hotspot... 3TB seems to be enough for the moment and it also acts as a backup for data on other drives.
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:36 PM   #22
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
As Scott Adams said, “You can never underestimate the stupidity of the general public.”
It certainly is a challenge.

Hey, I wonder if anyone every thought of a removable SD card or even a common USB2/3 port for flash drives. Naw.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:41 PM   #23
injapan
Addict
injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11, Kobo Arua 2 and iPad Air 3
well, the price will come down. I honestly thought a 128Gb iPad would have been out long ago! I mean I bought a 64G ipod touch years ago and the ipad is so much bigger
injapan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:48 AM   #24
pl001
Evangelist
pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Color, EVO3D, Surface RT, Galaxy S5, Surface 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penforhire View Post
iPad also won't poop out after 4 or 5 hours like the Surface Pro is expected to. Battery life is one of a couple of factors that drive wanting a tablet rather than, say, an ultrabook or MacBook Air.
True enough, but you can also get a 64GB Surface RT and add a 64GB memory card for around $650.

There are reasons to not like the Surface, having more options to better fit people's needs is not one of them.
pl001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:10 AM   #25
5thWiggle
Benevolent Evil Lord
5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 8.0, Galaxy Note, iPad Mini, PocketEdge(retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcreative View Post
If you're all so concerned about storage then why don't you get a WiFi NAS drive... I run a 3TB personal cloud system - it's all under my control with no worrying about other people controlling my data- and I can access it happily from my computers, Nexus, iPad and Galaxy at home or anywhere I can get WiFi or use my Galaxy as a mobile hotspot... 3TB seems to be enough for the moment and it also acts as a backup for data on other drives.
+1

I'm running a 2TB WD My Book Live. Cost slightly more than a 128GB micro SD card.
5thWiggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:22 AM   #26
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
You'll be wanting that memory card with the 64GB Surface Pro if MS estimates prove correct. Only 23GB of usable space?! (see http://arstechnica.com/information-t...t-youd-expect/ )

I thought my 16 GB iPad was bad about usable space but it isn't THAT bad, lol. After living with it for a month I do wish I had at least 32 GB though. A few gigs of music, a few gigs of useful apps, a few gigs of games (Baldur's Gate is omghuge) and I'm out of space. No room for a movie on mine at the moment.

I also understand people who want to have a larger music collection with them at all times without dragging around a wifi NAS. I recall ending up with something more than 30 GB when I ripped 300 CD's back when. And that storage need doesn't count someone who wants a few movies with them when they travel.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:27 AM   #27
5thWiggle
Benevolent Evil Lord
5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 8.0, Galaxy Note, iPad Mini, PocketEdge(retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penforhire View Post
I also understand people who want to have a larger music collection with them at all times without dragging around a wifi NAS.
I don't drag it around - it sits at home, attached to my router - but I can get files where ever I have wifi (or cell connection). I don't tend to transfer movies (I do that before I go), but music and books are no problem.
5thWiggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 05:17 AM   #28
CHAUWAY
CHAUWAY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CHAUWAY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CHAUWAY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CHAUWAY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CHAUWAY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CHAUWAY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CHAUWAY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CHAUWAY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CHAUWAY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CHAUWAY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CHAUWAY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Really too expensive
CHAUWAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 05:37 AM   #29
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Don't forget that the iPad is enormously popular in the business world, and that's a market which isn't particularly price sensitive. I'm sure it'll do very well.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:14 AM   #30
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
The price for a 128 GB iPad is ridiculous. Yes, it's "only" $100 more, but I really, really doubt they will sell many at that pricepoint. Consumers are just not *that* stupid.

Never underestimate the power of human stupidity!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote