Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Discussions

Notices

Old 06-13-2012, 04:53 PM   #211
odiakkoh
Guru
odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 5s
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonetools View Post
Thanks for Lit2Go. Already familiar with Tunes U.

This query is for all. Is An Audible subscripton worth it? TIA for any responses.
I think it is. I do take advantage of the libraries and other free sources first but I get more than my money's worth with Audible.
odiakkoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 11:53 PM   #212
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Quote:
This query is for all. Is An Audible subscripton worth it? TIA for any responses.
I find it useful more for the sales they offer than the one credit per month. I've picked up quite a few audiobooks for $5-8 in these regular sales. I sign out lots of audiobooks from the public library, but I have a Mac and can only use the MP3 audiobooks so that limits my choices. Audible works well to fill in the gaps.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 05:30 AM   #213
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
It is for me. I only manage to listen to about 1 book per month on average, so a monthly fee of £7.99 is not too steep, and saves me a fair bit against the normal list price purchase of about 3 times that usually.

You can also place the subscription on hold for 3 month periods at a time, so if you have a backlog you can take a break until you catch up again.

Last edited by orlok; 06-14-2012 at 08:10 AM.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 01:01 PM   #214
adeledevine
adeledevine began at the beginning.

Device: sony ebook reader
i am listening to dorothy l sayers lord peter wimsey stories.i have them all on my ipod and could listen to them all the time but need to switch to dan brown at night because hubby loves the da vinci code and angels and demons or its murder on the orient express.
adeledevine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 01:23 PM   #215
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Thanks for Lit2Go. Already familiar with Tunes U.

YW. I no longer have a paid Audible account. I find it too expensive for my tastes. I now have the basic account, which qualifies me for most of the specials - free audiobooks, sales, $10 credits, etc.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 01:44 PM   #216
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
While not audiobooks, I recently started listening to X Minus One - a sci-fi radio drama from the mid 50's. It features stories from the likes of Asimov, Bradbury, Dick, and Heinlein.

Free downloads of the entire series are available from various Old Time Radio sites, iTunes, and Internet Archives.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 09:17 PM   #217
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Finished off Redshirts. It ended a lot stronger than it started. It was very funny in places, but also very sad in other places. Not at all what I expected, but very good.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 01:35 AM   #218
amward
Wizard
amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Eco Eclipse, Sony PRS 350 (pink), Ipod Touch, Kindle Touch
Listening to another Jilly Cooper book, this one is "Jump", narrated by Gerri Halligan, who is excellent. I find them very funny , they are about the lives and loves of fictional British upper class country folk, often with an emphasis on music or the horsey set. Many of the characters appear with varying degrees of importance in the different books.

I guess they are a bit like modern day Angela Thirkell.
amward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 05:18 AM   #219
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
While not audiobooks, I recently started listening to X Minus One - a sci-fi radio drama from the mid 50's. It features stories from the likes of Asimov, Bradbury, Dick, and Heinlein.

Free downloads of the entire series are available from various Old Time Radio sites, iTunes, and Internet Archives.
Those are really excellent scifi dramas!

Librivox also do a series of short science fiction audiobooks which are available from iTunes and use PD sources.
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 07:13 PM   #220
DuaneAA
Connoisseur
DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 & Kindle Fire HDX
Just finished listening to 'Fuzzy Nation' by John Scalzi. It was a good little sci-fi story written as a homage to the classic 'Little Fuzzy' by H. Beam Piper. It felt almost like a play with only a cast of about seven main characters and only about five locales for the whole story. What moved it from a 'good' story to a 'great' listen was the narrator, Wil Wheaton. I have previously listened to two other books narrated by him ('Agent to the Stars' also by John Scalzi and 'Ready Player One' by Ernest Cline) and he has done a great job with all of them. Wheaton is definitely one of my favorite narrators.

I am now a couple of hours into 'Unraveling' by Elizabeth Norris and I am liking it so far. This book is in the 'Young Adult' paranormal category. I like to 'read' mostly sci-fi, but over the years I have discovered I like to 'listen' to a lot of young adult books. (Should I admit I'm a middle-aged guy who has listened to 'The Secret Circle' books and the first three or four of the 'Pretty Little Liar' books?) 'Unraveling' is narrated by Katie Schorr and she has a voice I would enjoy listening to all day. I listened to 'I Am Number Four' not too long ago and I didn't care for the narrator at all.

After listening to audiobooks for over ten years, I have come to realize the narrator is, for me, the most important factor. A good narrator can make almost any book enjoyable, but a poor narrator can wreck even a great book.

Duane
DuaneAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 08:16 AM   #221
amward
Wizard
amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Eco Eclipse, Sony PRS 350 (pink), Ipod Touch, Kindle Touch
[QUOTE=DuaneAA

After listening to audiobooks for over ten years, I have come to realize the narrator is, for me, the most important factor. A good narrator can make almost any book enjoyable, but a poor narrator can wreck even a great book.

Duane[/QUOTE]

I think you're right, unless the book is truly dreadful.
amward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 12:44 PM   #222
Marrella
Cambrian crab
Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Pocket Book, Kobo, Sony
I decided to give up on Robert Jordan, at least for the time being. Maybe I'll come back to The Eye of the World later, but I rather doubt it. I have too many interesting books and podcasts I want to listen to to waste time on it.

So I started Blackout by Connie Willis a couple of days ago. This is the second time I am listening to it and I am thoroughly enjoying it.

I am also still listening to The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss.

As for podcasts, I recently listened to Her Husband's Hands by Adam-Troy Castro and to The Homecoming by Mike Resnick. I enjoyed both stories very much.
Her Husband's Hands
The Homecoming
Marrella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 07:51 PM   #223
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by amward View Post
I think you're right, unless the book is truly dreadful.
Certainly, it's true that a bad reader can ruin a great book, but it's not necessarily true that a great reader can make an ok book great. I loved Tim Curry in the Abhorsen series, but thought the Series of Unfortunate Events was just ok and only bothered with the first one.

To a great extent, the reader has to match the book. Some books are just made for multiple voices, others work better with one main voice with just a bit of change to show the different characters. Some readers have a great speaking voice, but don't do multiple voices well, or don't do the opposite sex well. They tend to be better for non-fiction books.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 08:52 PM   #224
tecweston
Comic book artist
tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight, iPad, iPhone
A Study in Scarlet by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. I've read the book but I saw the library had it for immediate check-out and I wanted something to listen to while I work.
tecweston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 09:51 PM   #225
Rtturvwsxmavpduc
Rtturvwsxmavpduc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rtturvwsxmavpduc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rtturvwsxmavpduc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rtturvwsxmavpduc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rtturvwsxmavpduc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rtturvwsxmavpduc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rtturvwsxmavpduc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rtturvwsxmavpduc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rtturvwsxmavpduc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rtturvwsxmavpduc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rtturvwsxmavpduc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Reply to Audible vote

Audible is an excellent bargain IMHO.

They feature superb customer service and often offer even deeper discounts than their normally low fees.

And don't blame Audible for the occasional two credit requirement. That's the publisher overcharging.
Rtturvwsxmavpduc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
audible, audiobooks, recommendations