Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-01-2011, 11:46 AM   #1
know-one
Connoisseur
know-one ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.know-one ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.know-one ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.know-one ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.know-one ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.know-one ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.know-one ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.know-one ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.know-one ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.know-one ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.know-one ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kOBO
Arrow Memory and books -

Hi everone!

I'm trying to create the least threads possible so that I don't end up cluttering the place or look like a troll.

First of all: I just wanna say again that the Kobo ereader is the best invention since the wheel!

Now, I bought a memory card who was 14 or 16 gigs (I threw out the package thingie now). My first question was - are there memory cards that are more than 14 or 16 gigs? If yes - what are the capacities? Like I mean 24, 36, 100?
I was able to store close to 900 Superman comics books on my chip! It is totally amazing!

My second question is that I had read that the Kobo came with 100 books preloaded - did I imagine this? If I didn't how do I access those books? All I've seen so far are a few "book samples". I will definitaly not read samplers!!!!

Which brings me to other comments - the only things I have to say that are negative...

Samplers - they are a hook to make you buy the book? If so, it won't work with me because I either read the whole book or don't - even if it's bad - I'll read to the last page.

The main menu button. I have this psychological fear that this thing will give up at one point because you continually have to press it to go back to the main. Unless someone knows of a touch function I don't know to go back to the main? Lemme know if someone does.

The following is just a comment...
Some people have criticized the speed of the Kobo - that it takes just a little too long to switch pages. I would like to say (respectfully) to these people that if you had to carry 900 books with you - it would take you much longer to find THE book you want to read. I am currently on 3 books. One at night, comics in the park (or at work to relax the brains at lunch times), and philosophy when I'm eating at home. I could easily decide to read 50 different books and the device will be an appendage to my brains.

LONG LIVE KOBO!
know-one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 11:51 AM   #2
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Right on, its a view on life like this that propells us to the future.

regards

jack
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 11:54 AM   #3
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
No those pre-loaded books are the whole thing. What Kobo has done is that they downloaded books that are available for free on Project Gutenberg and put them on all Kobo's that they sell, so they are giving away nothing for free.

Second what feature(s) sold you on the Kobo?
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 12:24 PM   #4
viviena
Evangelist
viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Currently Kobo Clara HD and Aura One, iPad
You can get MicroSD cards up to 32GB, though those are still quite expensive.

The pre-loaded books only apply to previous Kobo models. They're all public domain works which you could download freely from elsewhere anyway, as jbcohen's pointed out.

The KT comes with the samplers instead. They're merely previews or extracts. You can delete an offending sampler from the device by long-pressing a sampler cover whilst browsing and choosing delete in the pop-up menu that appears. It might be quicker to connect your reader to the computer and delete via the Kobo Desktop software, I think.

I've heard people criticise the page turning speed of the older Kobo models, but the KT is a vast improvement over those and I'd be surprised to hear people have issues with the page turning speed.
viviena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 12:42 PM   #5
Joe563
Never spit into the wind.
Joe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Touch, Kobo Android(smartphone & tablet)
"My second question is that I had read that the Kobo came with 100 books preloaded - did I imagine this?"

The original Kobo came pre-loaded with 100 free books but they are not included with the Kobo Touch. The good news is that all these books are in the public domain so they are readily available from various sources such Project Gutenberg and from the free book section of the Kobo Store.

As far as previews are concerned (samplers), if you find them annoying simply delete them. I like using previews, because, especially for non-fiction books the table of contents gives you a flavor for what the book contains and the book excerpt gives you an idea of the writing style.
Joe563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 12:42 PM   #6
Psyke
Evangelist
Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wi-Fi - Kobo Touch - GNex - N7
Quote:
Originally Posted by know-one View Post
Hi everone!

I'm trying to create the least threads possible so that I don't end up cluttering the place or look like a troll.

First of all: I just wanna say again that the Kobo ereader is the best invention since the wheel!

Now, I bought a memory card who was 14 or 16 gigs (I threw out the package thingie now). My first question was - are there memory cards that are more than 14 or 16 gigs? If yes - what are the capacities? Like I mean 24, 36, 100?
I was able to store close to 900 Superman comics books on my chip! It is totally amazing!

My second question is that I had read that the Kobo came with 100 books preloaded - did I imagine this? If I didn't how do I access those books? All I've seen so far are a few "book samples". I will definitaly not read samplers!!!!

Which brings me to other comments - the only things I have to say that are negative...

Samplers - they are a hook to make you buy the book? If so, it won't work with me because I either read the whole book or don't - even if it's bad - I'll read to the last page.

The main menu button. I have this psychological fear that this thing will give up at one point because you continually have to press it to go back to the main. Unless someone knows of a touch function I don't know to go back to the main? Lemme know if someone does.

The following is just a comment...
Some people have criticized the speed of the Kobo - that it takes just a little too long to switch pages. I would like to say (respectfully) to these people that if you had to carry 900 books with you - it would take you much longer to find THE book you want to read. I am currently on 3 books. One at night, comics in the park (or at work to relax the brains at lunch times), and philosophy when I'm eating at home. I could easily decide to read 50 different books and the device will be an appendage to my brains.

LONG LIVE KOBO!

Everything you ever wanted to know about SD cards can be found here :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Digital

The Max the Kobo Touch can handle from what is mentioned in KOBO's specs, is 32gb.

For your second point; they removed the 100 free books from the Touch version. Myself I've seen more questions on how to remove them/hide them so it's possible they thought it was more trouble than it was worth. It also free's up space for user purchased books. That said, you can still obtain these books from either their online store, or other locations as mentioned by others.

third point; samplers are exactly as you state, they are previews to books that you need to purchase if you want to read the complete version, and you can just delete them if you don't want them. If you flag books on kobobooks for future purchases, then they will appear here as well.

fourth point; I really don't think this will be an issue as you will only use it to go home, which shouldnt' be that often. on the original model, wear out of the rubber was pretty common after constant use, but you're using it to turn pages, so you would have pressed it many thousands of times before it went, and that was just the rubber; the mechanical button still worked fine.

That said, you can tap the center of the screen when in a book to go back to your previous screen (usually either the library or home), but this is only accessible from within a book.

as for your last point, I really don't see an issue with speed either. It's loads faster than the original kobo's and some reviews have it pegged faster in some instances to the kindle 3, which is the benchmark in e-readers. I loaded almost 700 books last night for the fun of it to check some speed concerns and apart from the initial loadup, searching for books, opening books, closing books don't seem to slow down significantly with the more books.
Psyke is offline   Reply With Quote