Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-09-2012, 04:51 PM   #1
Selago
Selago , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Selago , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Selago , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Selago , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Selago , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Selago , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Selago , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Selago , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Selago , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Selago , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Selago , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kindle Touch
Thumbs up [Solved!] Sideloaded .mobi from Calibre don't show up on Kindle Touch after 5.1.0

Hi
I've been lurking around this excellent forum for a couple of days without seeing an answer to my question, so I thought I'd try by posting a new thread.

First post so if you find my post offensive or other way disturbing feel free to move or delete.

As stated in the topic, sideloaded .mobi files from Calibre (or drag and dropped) don't show up in my Kindle touch after latest update, 5.1.0.

I've tried to remove the PDOC tag and reformat my .mobi files and resend them trough Calibre to the Kindle, without success.

What still works is to send the .mobi files as an email using Amazon. But I rather have the simple Calibre -> Kindle Touch via USB to work again.

The only thing I can think of is to rollback to previous firmware, when it worked, but don't have the faintest clue to do it or if it's even possible.

Anyone that have had the same problem as me?
Or anyone that have an solution to my problem?

Cheers
//Selago

Edit. I did the Factory Reset as pidgeon92 suggested and that did the trick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
I updated my Kindle to 5.1 a few weeks ago.

I just tested your issue, adding two old .mobi files I have (neither from Amazon) in Calibre. Both transferred the Kindle just fine, appearing on the first Menu page of the kIndle (most recent sort), with NEW tags, just as it should be.

I suggest restarting your Kindle. If that doesn't fix the problem, then a Factory Reset.

Last edited by Selago; 05-11-2012 at 08:53 PM.
Selago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 04:57 PM   #2
Lazer
Groupie
Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Selago:

'Certanly a valid question –seems to be a hybrid Kindle Touch/Calibre question. My Kindle is a K3 so I can't be of much help, but if you don't get a quick answer, I'd ask this on the MobileRead Calibre section.

You like that Touch?

L
Lazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-09-2012, 05:06 PM   #3
Selago
Selago , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Selago , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Selago , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Selago , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Selago , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Selago , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Selago , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Selago , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Selago , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Selago , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Selago , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Hi Lazer,
yeah I thought of posting it there first, but as my problem only started after the Kindle update I think that it's on the Kindle end the problem sits not the Calibre.

I've had WiFi off since I bought it but turned it on when trying out the web browser the other week and apparently Amazon auto pushes updates without the chance for the user to decline... I was not aware of that... Well I know now...

Thing is that I've had my KT for a couple of months now and I love it! Had an generic e-book reader without E-ink before this, but I really feel that once you go E-ink you don't go back. As of the KT specifically, well I like touch
Old 05-09-2012, 07:17 PM   #4
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
I updated my Kindle to 5.1 a few weeks ago.

I just tested your issue, adding two old .mobi files I have (neither from Amazon) in Calibre. Both transferred the Kindle just fine, appearing on the first Menu page of the kIndle (most recent sort), with NEW tags, just as it should be.

I suggest restarting your Kindle. If that doesn't fix the problem, then a Factory Reset.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 01:12 AM   #5
Selago

I've done the restart, but will try a factory reset. Thanks!
I'll let you know how it goes.
Advert
Old 05-10-2012, 10:21 AM   #6
daerelibom
daerelibom can extract oil from cheesedaerelibom can extract oil from cheesedaerelibom can extract oil from cheesedaerelibom can extract oil from cheesedaerelibom can extract oil from cheesedaerelibom can extract oil from cheesedaerelibom can extract oil from cheesedaerelibom can extract oil from cheese

I have this issue with some of books that I download *somewhere*, but unpack it and regenerate the mobi again with kindlegen fix it.
daerelibom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 11:36 AM   #7
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
I have never experienced any problems side-loading mobi files to my Touch via Calibre or drag and drop, regardless of firmware version.

Obvious question - is your Kindle recognized by your computer when connected? I assume so since you say you have transferred via Calibre. Have you searched for the "missing book(s)" when connected or from the Kindle when disconnected? Are you absolutely certain the file has not transferred? Do you receive "transfering book(s) to device" message (cannot recall the exact wording) when transferring via Calibre?

If you are using a Windows based computer can you confirm a valid connection in Device Manager?

Have you tried re-converting the mobi?

Last edited by Skydog; 05-10-2012 at 11:41 AM.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 01:15 PM   #8
Selago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
I have never experienced any problems side-loading mobi files to my Touch via Calibre or drag and drop, regardless of firmware version.

Obvious question - is your Kindle recognized by your computer when connected?
Yes it is.
Quote:
I assume so since you say you have transferred via Calibre. Have you searched for the "missing book(s)" when connected or from the Kindle when disconnected?
I've searched for the missing books on my Kindle when it's not connected to my computer.

Quote:
Are you absolutely certain the file has not transferred? Do you receive "transferring book(s) to device" message (cannot recall the exact wording) when transferring via Calibre?
No, according to Calibre the transfer of the books works and in Calibre they show up both on my Kindle and in the Calibre library. And the books show up on the Kindle when I open it up in Explorer, it's just that I can't find them at all on my Kindle.

Quote:
If you are using a Windows based computer can you confirm a valid connection in Device Manager?
I have a Windows based computer but do not really understand what you mean by a valid connection?

Quote:
Have you tried re-converting the mobi?
Yes, I've done that with several books although only using Calibre, haven't tried mobi2mobi yet.
Old 05-11-2012, 03:27 PM   #9
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selago View Post

No, according to Calibre the transfer of the books works and in Calibre they show up both on my Kindle and in the Calibre library. And the books show up on the Kindle when I open it up in Explorer, it's just that I can't find them at all on my Kindle.
I assume you have searched for the titles on the Kindle, rather than just expecting them to show up on the first page?

Have you tried a Factory Reset?
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 03:36 PM   #10
howyoudoin
how YOU doin?
howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro 10.5”, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra 2
Have you tried searching for the books on the kindle drive when connected to the PC?
howyoudoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 03:44 PM   #11
Selago

Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
I assume you have searched for the titles on the Kindle, rather than just expecting them to show up on the first page?

Have you tried a Factory Reset?
Yes, I've searched "all over" the Kindle (Excuse my bad English), to no avail.

Well regarding the Factory Reset, I'm holding off that for the moment and sees it as the last resort at the moment. Since I'm 59% in to a book and I'd like to finish that one first before I reset.

As I have understood it the reset removes all books from the Kindle and if the reset don't solve the problem I can't get the book back on my Kindle...

But at least it seems that I'm quite alone with this problem witch get me thinking that the Factory Reset will probably fix the problem. (I HOPE )

Edit. Finished reading my book, did the reset and that fixed the problem!

Last edited by Selago; 05-11-2012 at 08:54 PM.
Old 05-11-2012, 03:49 PM   #12
Selago

Quote:
Originally Posted by howyoudoin View Post
Have you tried searching for the books on the kindle drive when connected to the PC?
Yes, they show up there.

Quote:
And the books show up on the Kindle when I open it up in Explorer, it's just that I can't find them at all on my Kindle.
<-- I tried to explain it in an earlier post, but my rusty English only get me the half way sometimes.
Old 05-11-2012, 08:58 PM   #13
Selago

Solved see first post.