Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-31-2010, 01:40 AM   #1
largo
largo began at the beginning.

Device: none
kindle or nook or nero ?

hello,

i wanted to ask In your opinion wich e-reader will do the best job to read pdf file Whose content is technical with subjects like: ccna,sql,exchange and so on.
there is no price limit, but it's very imortant for me support adobe digial edition pdf because i saw there is many publishers like : wrox,sybex,apress that sell there pdf with that.

thanks
largo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 01:41 AM   #2
largo

about the kindle i know there is no support in adobe digial edition but they offer conversion service from pdf to kindle format.
Advert
Old 08-31-2010, 02:09 AM   #3
mdmorrissey
Addict
mdmorrissey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mdmorrissey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mdmorrissey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PocketBook 360
What is nero? Kindles and the iPad are NOT compatible with DRM-protected Adobe EPUB & PDF eBooks, which means you can't borrow ebooks from public libraries -- a HUGE disadvantage. I would advise against buying anything (like the Kindles) that do not read EPUB format, since that has effectively become the standard. Kindles are good if you want to buy a lot of books from Amazon. Period. (If I'm wrong, please set me straight!)
mdmorrissey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 02:25 AM   #4
largo

opps

i mean bebook neo.

I think you're right about EPUB.
do you know if AMAZON able to convert DRM files to KINDLE format?

So further to my question you have a recommendation what to buy?
very good pdf reading Capability.

kindle, nook , or neo ?

thanks again.
Old 08-31-2010, 05:01 AM   #5
Strolls
Enthusiast
Strolls began at the beginning.

Device: None / Kindle
Looks like you can remove the DRM from Adobe Digital Editions.
Strolls is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-31-2010, 06:07 AM   #6
mdmorrissey
Addict
mdmorrissey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mdmorrissey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mdmorrissey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PocketBook 360
Calibre can convert into most formats, including Mobi, so I guess if you did that you could read public domain stuff (PDF and EPUB usually) on the Kindle, but I've never tried it and don't know if it works. I would forget about trying to get around DRM. That's for "experts," and the more ethical route is to borrow ebooks from libraries. That as I said is not possible, at least with my library, with a Kindle, so I wouldn't buy one. I liked the Kobo (Borders) when I tried it out in the US but didn't buy it. I have a Pocketbook 360 which I am content with, though I had some trouble with it at the beginning. I want to buy a second reader, but I think I will wait a couple of weeks because there are rumors of new ones coming into the stores. I suggest you buy in a store because returning things via mail, though cheaper, is a pain in the buttockios.
mdmorrissey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 06:11 AM   #7
Strolls
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdmorrissey View Post
I would forget about trying to get around DRM. That's for "experts," and the more ethical route is to borrow ebooks from libraries.
He's looking for computer programming books, he's probably an "expert".

I assumed he wanted to buy these books - he says that money isn't his biggest consideration, and he makes no mention of using a public library.
Old 08-31-2010, 07:16 AM   #8
Geppetto
Addict
Geppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS600, Cybook, Hanvon N520, Sony PRS300, Onyx Boox, Kindle 3
I wonder how somebody can tell things like "ePUB is the standard". Standard? Standard?

- half the ereaders sold in the world since eink readers do exist were Kindles, at least.

- Amazon is holding 75-80% of the ebooks market in 2010.

- moreover, the only decent 9-10" eink reader is Kindle DX

Last edited by Geppetto; 08-31-2010 at 07:20 AM.
Geppetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 07:19 AM   #9
Geppetto
Addict
Geppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS600, Cybook, Hanvon N520, Sony PRS300, Onyx Boox, Kindle 3
There's no way of reading an A4 sized pdf in a decent way if you do not own a 9-10" reader
Geppetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 07:35 AM   #10
Strolls
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geppetto View Post
- moreover, the only decent 9-10" eink reader is Kindle DX
The PDF display on the Kindle 3 is gorgeous (link), but the prevailing opinion seems to be that:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geppetto View Post
There's no way of reading an A4 sized pdf in a decent way if you do not own a 9-10" reader
My understanding is the improvements already demonstrated in the Kindle 3's firmware will be coming to the DX as a firmware upgrade. I'm not certain about this, but it might be worth doing some research, and into updated DX hardware speculation, if you can wait a few weeks.
Old 08-31-2010, 08:03 AM   #11
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
If money is no object get a slate Tablet PC.
No six inch reader does a particularly good job of rendering readable pdf documents. And certainly not the technical books you're looking at.
The Kindle DXG and the upcoming Pocketbook 902/903 (which does use ADE) might be decent but you're still looking at a black and white display.
Take a look at the Viliv Blade.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 09:24 AM   #12
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdmorrissey View Post
What is nero? Kindles and the iPad are NOT compatible with DRM-protected Adobe EPUB & PDF eBooks, which means you can't borrow ebooks from public libraries -- a HUGE disadvantage. I would advise against buying anything (like the Kindles) that do not read EPUB format, since that has effectively become the standard. Kindles are good if you want to buy a lot of books from Amazon. Period. (If I'm wrong, please set me straight!)
Not being able to use the library is not a huge disadvantage for me since I don't check out books from the library. It is only a disadvantage if you think you will be using the library and if your library has the e-books that you want available.

The whole EPub thing is totally overblown. Conversion is easy enough, Amazon has a large number of books available, there are plenty of other stores that sell books for Kindle. It sounds like EPub is more of an issue outside of the US but even there plenty of folks are happily using Kindles without issues.

There are plenty of places that you can buy books for the Kindle that are formatted for the Kindle, Mobi format, or easily converted using Calibre, non-DRMed EPub. I know of folks who use a Kindle and have never bought a book from Amazon.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 09:26 AM   #13
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Oh and I love my DX Graphite. The large screen is great. I don't read PDF's on it so I cannot say how well that works
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 09:28 AM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If PDF is that important to you, then none of the existing eink readers are any good. Wait for the large screen pocketbooks. Or get an iPad or a netbook. But all the 6" or smaller screens are not going to work well with PDF.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 03:04 PM   #15
largo

didn't get any mail for the reponse very odd

pocketbookreader.com

in shiping faq they state the don't ship to half of the world.
a friend is coming to usa next week so i'm going to ask him to buy for me.

i got the issue with 9.7 screen but how is the neo ? better then nook ?
what is the 6 inch device doing the best job by reading pdf and drm pdf ?

thanks for everyon