Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-06-2012, 11:49 AM   #1
Majorix
Giant Hobbit
Majorix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Majorix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Majorix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Majorix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Majorix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Majorix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Majorix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Majorix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Majorix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Majorix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Majorix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Clara, Mini, Aura HD, Aura 2, Kindle: Paperwhite 1, DX 1
Questions About the Built-in Dictionary

So, as a Kindle user whose native language isn't English, I occasionally face words that I don't recognize. This is where I refer to the built-in English dictionary (The American edition, but can change to the British edition if the author is British).

It might seem like the problem is solved, however it is not. 4 points that I need assistance with:

1. Is there a thesaurus? Sometimes it might prove to be more useful to use one instead of a plain dictionary.

2. Is there a way to "search for" the definition of a word you have in your mind, and is not written on the book itself?

3. How can you look up phrases? This can be as simple as searching for "watch out for" instead of the one-word "watch" (which have quite different meanings) and some sayings which can be longer.

4. How can you look up a word in the definition of another word?

Hope you can help me. Thanks in advance.
Majorix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 12:27 PM   #2
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
1. Kindle does not come with a thesaurus but you can purchase one (at least in US Kindle Store)
2. to lookup a word not in the text (or from Home screen) bring up the menu/options and tap the 'magnifying glass' icon. Type in the word. To the left of the search box is a selector to determine the scope of the search. Tap on that to change the default. One of the options is 'Dictionary'.
3. dictionaries do contain some phrases, but in general it sees you cannot select and look them up directly. select any word, then when the definition comes up tap Show Full Definition to open the dictionary. Once there, tap the Search icon and type in the phrase. As you type it will display words and phrases that are available in the dictionary. For example typing 'comfort' will display 'comfort food' 'comfort station' 'comfort zone' etc. Then you can tap on the phrase to bring up the definition. Tap the Back icon ('<') until you return to the book.
4. Show Full Definition to open the dictionary, and then select the word in the definition that you want to look up. It will popup the definition, and allow you to jump to the full definition. Again tap Back icon until you are back where you were prior to the first lookup.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 01:01 PM   #3
Majorix
Giant Hobbit
Majorix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Majorix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Majorix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Majorix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Majorix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Majorix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Majorix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Majorix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Majorix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Majorix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Majorix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Clara, Mini, Aura HD, Aura 2, Kindle: Paperwhite 1, DX 1
Thanks for the explanation! Really helpful! Only problem is that now I will have to pay for a thesaurus
Majorix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 03:42 PM   #4
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Please explain

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
to lookup a word not in the text (or from Home screen) bring up the menu/options and tap the 'magnifying glass' icon. Type in the word. To the left of the search box is a selector to determine the scope of the search. Tap on that to change the default. One of the options is 'Dictionary'.
I did not notice that option on my KFHD7-32. How, exactly, does that work.

If I tap the magnifying glass, I can only do a search, not a dictionary definition. To get a definition, I must do a long hold on a word in the book.

Plus, there is no Menu button on the Home Screen. A swype down merely reveals a Menu Bar where other functions are allowed by no magnifying glass is there.

On the Paperwhite the magnifying glass used from the Home Screen reveals every use of the word in my eBooks and eDocs but no dictionary is brought up. I have 4 dictionaries resident and use the Bible Encyclopedia as my Primary Dictionary and the New Oxford American as my Secondary.

Last edited by sirmaru; 12-06-2012 at 03:46 PM.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 07:11 AM   #5
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
I did not notice that option on my KFHD7-32. How, exactly, does that work.

If I tap the magnifying glass, I can only do a search, not a dictionary definition. To get a definition, I must do a long hold on a word in the book.

Plus, there is no Menu button on the Home Screen. A swype down merely reveals a Menu Bar where other functions are allowed by no magnifying glass is there.

On the Paperwhite the magnifying glass used from the Home Screen reveals every use of the word in my eBooks and eDocs but no dictionary is brought up. I have 4 dictionaries resident and use the Bible Encyclopedia as my Primary Dictionary and the New Oxford American as my Secondary.
When inside a book on your PW, touch the magnifying glass. You'll see the words "This Book" to the left of the search box. Touching that gives you the options of "This Book", "My Items", "Kindle Store", "Dictionary", and "Wikipedia". If you touch the magnifying glass from the home page, you get almost all of the same options, except for "This Book"

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:32 AM   #6
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Correct for PW - NOT KFHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
When inside a book on your PW, touch the magnifying glass. You'll see the words "This Book" to the left of the search box. Touching that gives you the options of "This Book", "My Items", "Kindle Store", "Dictionary", and "Wikipedia". If you touch the magnifying glass from the home page, you get almost all of the same options, except for "This Book"

Shari
Thanks. That is correct for the PW. I hadn't noticed that before. For the KFHD it does not offer the same list. In a book there is no list - only hits within the book are displayed. From the main screen it offers Libraries, Stores or Web.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 01:18 PM   #7
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
I wish you could Search This Book for a word that you've selected. The non-touch Kindles let you do this. On Kindle Touch or Paperwhite you have to type in the word, even if it is sitting there on the page.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote