Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-29-2012, 08:42 AM   #1
captkjaneway
Cockney Sci-Fi Geek!
captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Samsung Tab S 8.4", Samsung S6 Edge
K3 Keyboard dead....what next?

My poor,poor K3 has died after 2 years hard labour.

I have reset twice, done constant reboots and she still doesn't respond and is now totally stuck. So what next.....

Here in Hong Kong I can get most versions available and was wondering what would be the right one for me. Thinking I'll give the PW a go....

Last edited by captkjaneway; 11-29-2012 at 08:46 AM.
captkjaneway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 08:49 AM   #2
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Either the paperwhite, or if you prefer the four way thing on the Keyboard, then get the Basic. I prefer the 4 way on my KB for news and blogs, but the Paperwhite for everything else.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 12:19 PM   #3
markdek
Addict
markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
If you're doing resets, it means it still has power, correct?;

Try opening the back, and pull the battery out; and let it stand for 1/2 an hour, and replace battery, and power up.
markdek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 12:22 PM   #4
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Don't give up yet. Charge overnight. Then do a full reset THREE TIMES - hold power button for 30 seconds each.

That works for me when a total freeze makes it seem dead.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 08:07 PM   #5
captkjaneway
Cockney Sci-Fi Geek!
captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for the tips, I cannot even get it to reset now and it's stuck on.

(To be honest I am sort of itching to get a new one too lol)
Old 11-29-2012, 08:42 PM   #6
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by captkjaneway View Post
Thanks for the tips, I cannot even get it to reset now and it's stuck on.

(To be honest I am sort of itching to get a new one too lol)
It may not be stuck "on." When the battery dies, the display will continue to show whatever was on it when the battery died.

Nothing wrong with getting a new one, but I'd plug it into a wall outlet overnight before I declared the unit deceased.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 12:08 AM   #7
manou
Grand Seamstress
manou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.manou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.manou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.manou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.manou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.manou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.manou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.manou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.manou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.manou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.manou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, iPhone, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
Either the paperwhite, or if you prefer the four way thing on the Keyboard, then get the Basic. I prefer the 4 way on my KB for news and blogs, but the Paperwhite for everything else.
The Kindle Paperwhite is not available for customers in Hong Kong.

OP, contact Kindle CS (you can use the chat or call back function), I recently discovered a crack just below the screen of my dearly beloved and trusted Kindle Keyboard and they were nice enough to knock off US$ 50.- of the price for a replacement Kindle Keyboard (alternatively they offered US$ 20.- off the basic Kindle).
manou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 02:25 AM   #8
captkjaneway
Cockney Sci-Fi Geek!

The PW is available here.........Wan Chai or Mong Kok have them, but leaning towards just the K4 without keyboard

My Kindle is a UK version, so they probably wont help now I here
Old 11-30-2012, 05:49 AM   #9
manou
Grand Seamstress
manou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.manou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.manou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.manou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.manou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.manou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.manou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.manou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.manou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.manou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.manou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, iPhone, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by captkjaneway View Post
The PW is available here.........Wan Chai or Mong Kok have them, but leaning towards just the K4 without keyboard

My Kindle is a UK version, so they probably wont help now I here
If you bought it from Amazon, I am sure they'll come up with something. The PW they sell in Wanchai and Mongkok are parallel (or grey) imports, thus Kindle CS probably won't be able to help you if there is an issue.
As I said, it's worth a try with Kindle CS, they might be generous towards a puchase of a K4.
manou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 02:19 PM   #10
stop__dreaming
Addict
stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Sorry to hear about that.

My K3 Keyboard is going well although I've noticed the page turns to be a bit laggy recently but I've put that down to the cold weather on the bus, lol.

Do resets wipe everything off the device?
stop__dreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 02:35 PM   #11
DustyDisks
Old Fart In Training
DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3+3g/KFHD 7"/Nexus 7/Nexus 7.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by stop__dreaming View Post
Sorry to hear about that.

My K3 Keyboard is going well although I've noticed the page turns to be a bit laggy recently but I've put that down to the cold weather on the bus, lol.

Do resets wipe everything off the device?
If you do a hard factory reset it will.
DustyDisks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 02:41 PM   #12
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
I feel your pain. My K3 died on. The way to the office two weeks ago in the middle of a good book, I hate that. Had to run out and find a new one, a brand new basic kindle 4, would have preferred a new K5 paperwhite. Now I added a Nook Simple Touch to back it up, now if either dies I can take my time about upgrading rather than having to run about town to find an upgrade. I feel your pain, as bill clinton would say.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:31 PM   #13
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
You folks are giving up too quick. Charge overnight. Then press the power button at least four times for 30 seconds, each, even if it does not reset. Then let it sit an hour and repeat the process.

Eventually, they revive.

Last edited by sirmaru; 11-30-2012 at 09:38 PM.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 11:41 AM   #14
VaultBoy
Addict
VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle of many shapes, PIPBoy 3000
Does it get recognized by the computer if you connect the K3 to it?
VaultBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 09:36 PM   #15
captkjaneway
Cockney Sci-Fi Geek!

Got the K3 going again, it seems the case was putting pressure somewhere. I tried to remove the back and as soon as I tried to lift the cover it started up again....but treated myself to a PW anyway. Loving the PW so far, no issues with the screen and blotches and it certainly lighter and smaller to tote around in my bag.

Will keep both and use the PW for travel and the K3 at home