Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-21-2013, 01:05 PM   #1
TheMatrix
Enthusiast
TheMatrix plays well with othersTheMatrix plays well with othersTheMatrix plays well with othersTheMatrix plays well with othersTheMatrix plays well with othersTheMatrix plays well with othersTheMatrix plays well with othersTheMatrix plays well with othersTheMatrix plays well with othersTheMatrix plays well with othersTheMatrix plays well with others

Device: Kobo Mini, Ipad 2
Question Library books and Kobo Mini

Is there a way to download Library Books straight to the Mini without using ADE? Since the Mini has a web browser, has anybody had success doing it that way and bypassing ADE? Is ADE a must because of the DRM on the books? Did I just answer my own question I tried using the Mini's web browser, but I couldn't get the Library's search function to work.
TheMatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 01:55 PM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Nope.. You need to use ADE to handle authorization / download of the book from the library.

Your web browser will download an ACSM file; this in turn is used by ADE to download the actual protected eBook.

Yes; some eReaders (Sony I think) CAN download directly from a library, but not Kobo eReaders.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-21-2013, 01:56 PM   #3
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMatrix View Post
Is there a way to download Library Books straight to the Mini without using ADE? Since the Mini has a web browser, has anybody had success doing it that way and bypassing ADE? Is ADE a must because of the DRM on the books? Did I just answer my own question I tried using the Mini's web browser, but I couldn't get the Library's search function to work.
You've pretty much said it. You need ADE to handle the DRM on books. I tried downloading a library book to my Glo and got to the .acsm file download but that was as far as it got.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 02:11 PM   #4
TheMatrix
Enthusiast
TheMatrix plays well with othersTheMatrix plays well with othersTheMatrix plays well with othersTheMatrix plays well with othersTheMatrix plays well with othersTheMatrix plays well with othersTheMatrix plays well with othersTheMatrix plays well with othersTheMatrix plays well with othersTheMatrix plays well with othersTheMatrix plays well with others

Device: Kobo Mini, Ipad 2
I figured, but it doesn't hurt to ask. Thanks for the replies.
TheMatrix is offline   Reply With Quote