Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 03-26-2011, 06:29 AM   #31
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
03/25/2011

Barnes & Noble’s NOOK Color™ Reader’s Tablet Keeps Getting Better With Great New Content for People Who Love to Read Everything

Customers Can Enjoy Multitudes of Newly Added Digital Books, Magazines, Children’s Books, plus Exclusive Content in Barnes & Noble Stores

Exclusive: The King’s Speech Digital Book Only Available for NOOK Customers

New York, New York – March 25, 2011 – NOOK Color, the award-winning, bestselling Reader’s Tablet by Barnes & Noble, Inc. (NYSE: BKS) keeps getting better with additions to its expansive digital catalog including everything from interactive versions of Travel + Leisure and Food & Wine to exciting children’s books featuring Barbie, Dora the Explorer and Mickey Mouse. Barnes & Noble, the world’s largest bookseller, continues to enhance the NOOK Color reading experience, enabling customers to read even more of what they love in rich, beautiful color. The company offers one of the world’s largest collections of digital content – which includes the only digital version of bestseller The King’s Speech, an unmatched children’s book collection, and more magazines and newspapers offered in color for subscription or single copy issue from one bookstore....

http://www.barnesandnobleinc.com/pre...or_better.html
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 07:27 AM   #32
RAH
Guru
RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Color Nook; Nook Touch
Is there a reason why you are quoting from the semi-meaningless B&N marketing blurbs about the Color Nook? In other words, what's your point, Kenny?
RAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-27-2011, 08:12 AM   #33
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAH View Post
Is there a reason why you are quoting from the semi-meaningless B&N marketing blurbs about the Color Nook? In other words, what's your point, Kenny?
The same as the originator of this thread. It's the official announcement of the (new/additional) apps for nook from B&N.
Old 03-27-2011, 09:08 AM   #34
kennyc

Maybe more to your liking RAH :

http://mashable.com/2011/03/26/nook-color-flash/
Old 03-27-2011, 11:25 AM   #35
jswinden
Nameless Being

If that HSN BS was the official announcement of the (new/additional) apps for nook from B&N, then I think B&N needs its collective corporate head examined. Very few people even watch that hogwash on HSN, so that in itself makes it a stupid choice for an announcement. HSN is so full of BS and sales pitch lies and exaggerations that no one should take them seriously, including their claim that this was the official announcement. I think it was simply HSN trying to sale an allotment of nookcolors, and exagerrating their connections with B&N and their knowledge of the update.

I'm appalled at the lack of journalistic integrety on the various websites that are now quoting the HSN show as fact. what a bunch of idiots!
Advert
Old 03-27-2011, 11:35 AM   #36
kennyc

Kinda describes the internet as a whole Jack.
Old 03-27-2011, 12:34 PM   #37
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Maybe more to your liking RAH :

http://mashable.com/2011/03/26/nook-color-flash/
Yuck, I feel so dirty after watching a bit of that video. B&N shouldn't have let them preview the upcoming upgrade. The thought that they're associated with the Nook even a little makes me cringe.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 01:50 PM   #38
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Yuck, I feel so dirty after watching a bit of that video. B&N shouldn't have let them preview the upcoming upgrade. The thought that they're associated with the Nook even a little makes me cringe.
Sorry. Guess now your a dirty sock?

BTW I'm seriously thinking about adding a nook to my collection but and not quite convinced yet...no real overwhelming reason other than size ...
Old 03-27-2011, 02:18 PM   #39
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Sorry. Guess now your a dirty sock?

BTW I'm seriously thinking about adding a nook to my collection but and not quite convinced yet...no real overwhelming reason other than size ...
LOL

It's a great little Android tablet once rooted and does all I need a tablet to do. Lack of mic, cameras, and GPS aren't a problem for me, because the apps that require them are generally best used on pocket-sized devices. Others will think differently.
Old 03-27-2011, 02:23 PM   #40
kennyc

Quote:
LOL

It's a great little Android tablet once rooted and does all I need a tablet to do. Lack of mic, cameras, and GPS aren't a problem for me, because the apps that require them are generally best used on pocket-sized devices. Others will think differently.
How is it for email and websurfing?

I don't care about cameras and microphone either. GPS might be nice, but not for mostly reading and websurfing...
Old 03-27-2011, 03:02 PM   #41
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:

I don't care about cameras and microphone either. GPS might be nice, but not for mostly reading and websurfing...
Works great for me. I can access (send & receive) all of my email accounts (web based) and surf all over the place. With the OverDrive app, I can download library books directly to my Color.

I got this to act as a portable entertainment center and to replace my netbook when traveling. Size is perfect and the display is high end. Once Zinio releases their Android app, I'll subscribe to a few magazines (science & nature stuff).

It's a great device to read color content while kicking back on the couch.
Old 03-27-2011, 03:03 PM   #42
emt
Nameless Being

Quote:

reading on the Nook Color is a good experience, enhanced with several good readers (my personal favorite being Cool Reader). As for web surfing it's still kind of haphazard due mainly to Android itself and not the Nook. I don't think you'll see any good web surfing experience until we see Android 3.0 on a mobile device - for now we're still struggling with a phone interface.

Most of the "browsers" in the Market are merely GUI front-ends for the stock Android browser - itself sorely lacking in even the rudimentary aspects of a PC browser. It's usually difficult to import bookmarks and pinch-to-zoom is usually choppy. Also, a lot of the Android browsers have non-standard interfaces.

I think that this is a problem with most mobile browsers and not just android - in many years of playing with mobile devices I have never seen any mobile device browser approach that of even the simplest PC or Mac software.

If you
Old 03-27-2011, 04:13 PM   #43
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by emt View Post
reading on the Nook Color is a good experience, enhanced with several good readers (my personal favorite being Cool Reader). As for web surfing it's still kind of haphazard due mainly to Android itself and not the Nook. I don't think you'll see any good web surfing experience until we see Android 3.0 on a mobile device - for now we're still struggling with a phone interface.

Most of the "browsers" in the Market are merely GUI front-ends for the stock Android browser - itself sorely lacking in even the rudimentary aspects of a PC browser. It's usually difficult to import bookmarks and pinch-to-zoom is usually choppy. Also, a lot of the Android browsers have non-standard interfaces.

I think that this is a problem with most mobile browsers and not just android - in many years of playing with mobile devices I have never seen any mobile device browser approach that of even the simplest PC or Mac software.

If you
Thanks. Please note that I do have a Droid X and a Xoom. I'd be looking at picking up the Nook for an additional mid-sized Android tablet. The browsing experience on the Xoom is very close to a laptop or desktop. The new default android browser on the Xoom is great.
Old 03-27-2011, 04:31 PM   #44
mariel9898
Connoisseur
mariel9898 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.mariel9898 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.mariel9898 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.mariel9898 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.mariel9898 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.mariel9898 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.mariel9898 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.mariel9898 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.mariel9898 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.mariel9898 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.mariel9898 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Nook Color, Droid 2 Global
Quote:
I totally agree. I got myself worked up over it yesterday (slow day watching contractors working on stuff) because I can predict what's going to happen. They sold almost 20,000 units.

Here is some of the crazy stuff they said on the air. I watched a bit at midnight for the initial showing then a bit around noon so I can only guess at the craziness I missed. Some is misleading which I suppose to a certain extent is the nature of these shows but some of the stuff is just wrong. I predict that in the next few weeks B&N stores are going to be hit with people screaming about "what do you mean it doesn't do XYZ? HSN said it would, that's why I bought it!".

HSN stated (this is in random order)

- Android 2.2 is the latest version of Android.
- They implied several times that you can borrow books from the library wirelessly.
- They stated that once your NC is set up you never have to turn on the wireless feature on again if you don't want to (true only if you never want to buy e-books ever again)
- The first ditz of a host stated you can rent movies and watch them on the NC.
- They said many times that you could walk into any B&N store and read any book you wanted for up to an hour (the hour part OK, but ANY book?)
- They said you could lend out any book you have on your NC (guess nobody informed them that not all publishers allow this).
- They said you could put textbooks on the NC which is misleading (Hey prof, what gives, HSN said your textbooks could be downloaded to this!)
- Many times they spoke about the speakers (plural).
- They stated over and over and emphatically (their strongest selling point!) that the NCs bought that day would be THE FIRST to get the update in mid April. The very first, before anyone else. And the update will have FLASH! They went on about Flash as if it were the second coming.
- They stated several times that the NC was brand new, just came out, new technology!
- At one point the pretty-boy host stated that the upgrade was coming and that you would not have to do anything at all to get it, that one day you would turn on your NC and the update would just be there.
- One of the hosts kept saying it came with a cover (which would have justified the price they were selling it at, but the cover is actually sold separately)

Amazing that a third party vendor can state things that would get a manufacturer in trouble for false advertising.
mariel9898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 05:12 PM   #45
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
Well, I said this over at the Nook Board, but I guess I can sau it here as well:

I'm guessing there will be a large batch of refurb Nook Color in a couple of months when many of the people who bought it over the weekend return them to HSN. NOT because the NC is a bad device, but because they got sucked in and jumped in without knowing what they did, what to REALLY expect... C'mon, almost 20 thousand?!
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote