Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 03-31-2011, 11:45 AM   #1
1countryboy
1countryboy began at the beginning.

Device: NookColor
Help with NookColor

My wife has a NookColor (unrooted) and while I'm not a reader myself she comes to me when things get technical or don't work.

She is running 1.1.0 software but says for a couple of weeks now she has two things happening which used to work right:

1. Her NC doesn't load pictures on the web except for BN bookstore

2. When she goes to her Hotmail account it won't load it either

Since these weren't an issue until recently any ideas what is going on and more importantly how to fix it?
1countryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 12:12 PM   #2
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1countryboy View Post
My wife has a NookColor (unrooted) and while I'm not a reader myself she comes to me when things get technical or don't work.

She is running 1.1.0 software but says for a couple of weeks now she has two things happening which used to work right:

1. Her NC doesn't load pictures on the web except for BN bookstore

2. When she goes to her Hotmail account it won't load it either

Since these weren't an issue until recently any ideas what is going on and more importantly how to fix it?
As it is unrooted, I am afraid there is little you can do, other than a master clear. If rooted I would try clearing the data for the browser, but that's not an option with the stock software. If you master clear, you'll lose all your data (purchases and sideloaded). You can re-download your purchases, but you'll have to manually add your sideloaded stuff again.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-31-2011, 12:22 PM   #3
HeyYou
Interested in everything!
HeyYou began at the beginning.

Device: Nook & Nook Color
A couple of ideas

It's possible that you have too many windows open in the browser. Try clicking on the list icon in the upper right hand of the browser window (in the title bar). You should get a drop down that includes the item 'windows'. Selecting this item will bring up a list of all of the open windows - sometimes quite a few of them. Use the 'x' to close all of them. Then click on the bookmark star, go to history, and select clear history in the bottom right hand corner.

Hope this helps - good luck!
HeyYou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 12:23 PM   #4
1countryboy

How do you do a master clear?

If left as is until the April update what are the chances of fixing itself?
Old 03-31-2011, 12:30 PM   #5
HeyYou

Reset

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1countryboy View Post
How do you do a master clear?

If left as is until the April update what are the chances of fixing itself?
Note: I haven't tried this - check your manual! I'd also try clearing the browser as described first!

Per http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/...or/td-p/751026

"Turn it off. Hold down the power and the N home button until on screen notification appears. Then follow prompts."

or

"Look at the bottom of page 75 of the user manual on how to perform a hard reset back to factory defaults.

It's under the Erase and Deregister section.

Be sure you deregister it first!"
Advert
Old 03-31-2011, 12:38 PM   #6
1countryboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyYou View Post
It's possible that you have too many windows open in the browser. Try clicking on the list icon in the upper right hand of the browser window (in the title bar). You should get a drop down that includes the item 'windows'. Selecting this item will bring up a list of all of the open windows - sometimes quite a few of them. Use the 'x' to close all of them. Then click on the bookmark star, go to history, and select clear history in the bottom right hand corner.

Hope this helps - good luck!
Thanks but didn't work my wife just informed me she's not crazy about doing a master clear just yet.

Just wondering if we hold off until next update if it will correct itself?
Old 03-31-2011, 03:26 PM   #7
HeyYou

If you can hold off that long, why not try it? Certainly less traumatic than a full reinitialization.
Old 03-31-2011, 06:13 PM   #8
jasoraso
Addict
jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Touch, Nook Color (rooted) and Samsung Galaxy Nexus
Have you tried a full power off/on? That won't erase ANYTHING; but it will reload the operating system, close all running programs etc.

Hold the Power button down for a 4-5 seconds, until you see an option for "power off". Select that and let the NC power down. After it completely shuts off, you will need to hold the power button for approx 3 seconds to turn the NC on; it will then take about 30-60 seconds to boot all the way up.

FYI, you can also force a power off by holding the Power button down for about 10-15 seconds and it will power all the down w/o selecting anything else (but I don't think this is quite as graceful as the first option above).

My apologies if you have already tried this ... but many people forget that merely "tapping" the power button only puts the NC into suspend mode, rather than turning it all the way off.
jasoraso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 11:01 AM   #9
1countryboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasoraso View Post
Have you tried a full power off/on? That won't erase ANYTHING; but it will reload the operating system, close all running programs etc.

Hold the Power button down for a 4-5 seconds, until you see an option for "power off". Select that and let the NC power down. After it completely shuts off, you will need to hold the power button for approx 3 seconds to turn the NC on; it will then take about 30-60 seconds to boot all the way up.

FYI, you can also force a power off by holding the Power button down for about 10-15 seconds and it will power all the down w/o selecting anything else (but I don't think this is quite as graceful as the first option above).

My apologies if you have already tried this ... but many people forget that merely "tapping" the power button only puts the NC into suspend mode, rather than turning it all the way off.
Yeah the first thing we tried but it didn't help.
Old 04-01-2011, 04:05 PM   #10
1countryboy

It got to be too irritating not loading web pictures so I did a factory reset and that fixed the problem so thanks for the suggestion. A little surprised it didn't reset the software to factory default but hey it works now so hopefully it doesn't happen again.